WnSoft Forums

New AV on Line

Zyderco

Hi all,

I have just uploaded my AV from National Tramway Museum at Crich in Derbyshire. It was taken at a 1940's weekend so if you go to http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7zodyw9mbmh and please let me know what you think.

I used Pictures to Exe to make this show.

John

Hi John,

I personally don't like, or see the need for, the white borders around your images. I find they can be a distraction particularly when some images are a different size - you tend to see the white line fading through first. I think if you want to keep the white border then please make the images consistent.

Secondly, you have chosen a good pacy piece of music that fits the period but there is no change in pace in any of your transitions and the overall pace of the image changes therefore seemed to be fighting against the upbeat music. Have you got another piece that you could use or perhaps combine two tracks to make a soundtrack that would allow you to make some snappy fades and some longer ones just to vary it a bit?

Overall, I think you've taken some good photgraphs at what looks like a very interesting event - I must try and get to one of these weekends sometime. A promising show that just needs a little tweaking here and there. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Keith

John

I enjoyed the slide show and you couldn't really go wrong with the music you chose, given the subject matter of course. I have been to Crich twice, but was never lucky enough to be around on a special event day.

I agree and disagree with Keith to be honest. I do feel that all the images need to be the same size, unless your really making a feature of them not being so, if you get my drift. However, I think slide shows often do need something to edge them like a white line. Otherwise we often see dark areas of the image against the natural black background and then the images can look like there are bits missing. The same is true of lighter slides presented against a white background. Light areas can bleed off and look pretty poor in my view.

So, the border is OK in my book. Although the images did vary a little in size, the snappy fades makes this far less intrusive than if it were a show that demanded slow transitions. Then the differences in those white border lines would be more annoying.

I wonder what resolution you made your show, as it was stretched to fit my monitor running 1280*1024 and I thought I may have detected a slight loss in image quality in some images that may have been due to the stretching of the images.

As it is a static show (no animation) and assuming you did make your images around 1024*768 you can restrict the stretching, but then the edge lines are even more important then, because those viewing at higher resolutions will see more of the black border around the outside of the images.

I wasn't too concerned with the length of the transitions, I thought it all went along rather smoothly and you have the length of the show just about perfect in my view. Enough length to be interesting without us reaching the point where we wonder how much more is to come.

Thanks both for your input, after all that's what forums like this are for to help us all improve and pick up new ideas and so make better shows by using each other's talents.

We did the show on Crich a couple of years back using 2 cameras a Nikon d100 and a Nikon 995 and hence the different sizes, until you pointed it out the size difference did not bother us but it will now !!!. Sorry but it will take too much effort to re do as I have moved the images since we made this show but will take it into consideration for any other shows and re size the same size, silly part is that the 995 makes good full size screen images so we have to crop to fit. We now use 2 DSLR's so we might not have this problem in the future.

Normally we that is Chris and myself do not put a line around but as you say Barry in certain cases a line can easily help a image from blending into the border. We make our shows for 1024 x 768 max res as this fits the lap top and digital projector.

Crich is well worth anybody's time and if you can go on a special weekend you have a greater chance of finding enough images to make a interesting show. The music was easy to pick as we all think of Glen Miller or Vera Lynn for war time tracks.

Barry we have a Australian AV and will post a link to it.

Regards

John & Chris

John and Chris

You just need to be aware that those who view your show on higher resolution monitors see your images enlarged beyond what you intended and that affects the image quality.

For a static show, diable the scaling of the main images in Project options > screen tab, then I and others will see what you created at the right size.

I will look forward to the Aussie AV