WnSoft Forums

Cropped Images

Mr B

Hi, I've tried finding a solution to my problem but cannot find anything.

Perhaps someone can help me. I realise I'm doing something wrong.

I made a show with images at 1920 x 1080 and when making a DVD via Videobuilder the results are cropped slightly.

Everything shows OK when previewing on my monitor (24" iMac using Bootcamp) but not in the screen at the top right hand (size set at 16:9DVD). Should I have the size of my jpeg's smaller than I have them to enable the full image to show correctly (Black border around everything)?

Thanks

I have the same problem. Everything appears fine on the PC but the DVD seems to be cropped by 3-4% all round (e.g. comments in the bottom right corner lose their final two letters)

Images are all oversized, typically 2048x1536, so that I can zoom in without pixelation.

David P.

I understand now why I can view it OK on my computer but still would like to know where I am going wrong. The image shows fine in the preview area, although touching the edges at the top/bottom and left/right when the image is full height and/or width.

Can anyone put me right?

Cheers

Guest Yachtsman1
I understand now why I can view it OK on my computer but still would like to know where I am going wrong. The image shows fine in the preview area, although touching the edges at the top/bottom and left/right when the image is full height and/or width.

Can anyone put me right?

Cheers

I have produced one dvd but I didn't tick the 16-9 box I left it at 4-3, I have since bought a 16-9 TV and the dvd shows without borders.

Yachtsman1

Hi Reg ( Mr.B )

From Post #1

I made a show with images at 1920 x 1080 and when making a DVD via Video builder the results are cropped slightly.

Reg, I wonder if the “ TV safe zone “ is your problem thinking they are cropped.

When creating a DVD allowances / adjustments have to be made as to “ TV Safe Zone “

Settings in PTE

Project Options / Screen / Screen Options / Aspect Ratio of a slide – check 16:9 DVD

Also near the bottom of the same screen, make sure it states 100% of the slide to show main image. – click OK

In the “ Object and Animations section “ click at bottom “ Tools “ – then click “ Show TV safe zone “

This is the actual image that will be viewed on TV. ( inside the safe zone borders )

Note - When you preview with the “ Mini Player “ the TV safe zone borders will not show.

Settings in Video Builder

Import your .PTE saved file

Project Options / Menu aspect ration – set as 16:9

TV System – ( NTSC / PAL ) – in your location click PAL – click OK

When you click “ Next “ to go to the menu section, click at top “ Edit “ and make sure “ Show TV safe zone “ is checked and position all thumbnail images / text within the borders on the menu.

I am led to believe that 1920 x 1080 images work fine with PAL - 16:9 - fullscreen

Thanks for that, Ralph. It's the 'TV safe zone' that is the problem. I hadn't realised that Tvs do not show the whole image. However, my TV shows much more than the safe zone indicated on P2E - I only lose about one third as much.

Unfortunately that third includes part of the comment, which I have set for the bottom right corner. I'll just have to go through the whole show and pad out the comments with a few extra spaces.

David.

David,

Instead of going through the whole show and modifying each slide, try the following:

Project Options / Screen / Additional Options. Set % of slide to show main image to less than 100% until your comments are inside the TV safe Zone (try 95%), don't forget to also select "set for existing slides"

Regards,

Limey

David

In addition to Limey’s good suggestion.

Another simple way is to adjust your “ Offset “ setting

Project Options / Comments

** Adjust to the longest text string.

** Make sure you click “ Set for existing slides “

I believe the default is ( 3 ) in the sample screen shot below I changed mine to 21 to take it out of TV safe zone.

To make text stand out due to colors in image, you could add a “ Custom “ drop shadow.

post-14-1214800212_thumb.jpg

post-14-1214800247_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for recent silence - been away for a few days.

Yes, reducing the sizing to 90-odd percent looks the easiest way to go and I'll try it next time. Unfortunately I'd been through and added spaces before I read these useful replies.

I had tried increasing the offset but that moves the comment up the screen as well as left (from its bottom right position) and I didn't need or want that.

Many thanks,

• 3 months later...

Sorry guys, I need to resurrect this thread.

I've just put together another sequence. As before, it is fine on computer screen but gets clipped all round on DVD player. If I set the 'percentage of slide to show' to about 90% it is fine on the DVD.

EXCEPT this percentage only seems to be applied to static images. Any images where I have used animation remain at 100%. Anyone have any idea how to get around that?

Supplementary question. There is a facility in P2E to set the background colour and even a drop shadow. How does one show an image smaller than full screen against a background. Is it simply by using the percentage or is there another way?

Thanks for any clues,

Hi David,

....How does one show an image smaller than full screen against a background?

To set a reduced image size for every image you use Project Options...Screen tab...Additional options. If you introduce this change after you have added slides to the sequence you need to click on Set for existing slides. If you are mixing image orientations and aspect ratios, you may find that you have to adjust the zoom value on some individual slides to get a more pleasing appearance.

regards,

Peter

Thanks, Peter, but that is exactly what I was doing. It works fine for all images, whether portrait or landscape, as long as I've not used the 'objects and animation' button. That button is used either for a slow zoom into the image or to add text that fades in on top of an image. In both cases the whole image remains at 100%.

David,

Just to be certain that I understand what you are saying...

If you use the Preview button, the sequence plays correctly with all images at their reduced size.

If you use the Create button, the exe file plays correctly with all images at their reduced size.

But if you use the Video button to create a DVD file and play that back through your TV then images carring animation are shown at 100% size and not at the reduced size. Is that a correct understanding on my part?

Finally, what version of PTE are you using? If you are using one of the beta levels of PTE v5.6 we really should move some of these posts to the PTE V5.6 bugs thread so that Igor knows that this is a problem with the new beta code (once I know the situation I can do those moves as a moderator). If you are using v5.52 or earlier then we continue the discussion here.

regards,

Peter

Jean,

Thanks, your post has got my brain back in gear.

Of course you cannot have a reduced image size and use pan/zoom/rotate as well. The image is going to move as you pan/zoom/rotate and so it's reduced size becomes meaningless in that dynamic state.

It is possible to achieve the appearance of a reduced image size and still use PZR if you create a windowed mount png file and add it as an overlay to every image in your sequence. This is a technique I often use.

regards,

Peter

Sorry I didn't make myself clear at first but Jean has it right. Thanks (but no thanks :rolleyes: ) for telling me I can't do it.

Presumably adding an overlay, as Peter suggests, would simply mask off the edges of every image, which is what I don't want. I have seen P2E shows that show every image effectively in a 'window' against a coloured background. Since P2E allows one to specify the background colour I'd rather hoped that there was a way of specifying the size of that 'window' for a complete show.

David,

The only way of achieving what you want is the way Peter described.

The mask can be any colour you want ( the same as your BG colour in PTE) and the size of the cutout in the mask would be exactly the same size as the image.

It only has to be used on images where PZR effects are taking place and if your Photoshop skills are up to it then the viewer is completely unaware of the presence of the mask.

BTW - If instead of making a DVD, you connect your laptop to your TV (preferably by a DVI/HDMI cable) there is no TV safe zone to worry about. This only applies for your own viewing - obviously, if you are sending your work to someone else then you may need the DVD approach.

DaveG