WnSoft Forums

problem installing 5.5

pushu

I have had many versions of pic2exe and have never had a problem upgrading from one to the next. with 5.5 I get error messages with everything that I do. I have uninstalled it and re-downloaded it but to no avail. the only version I have on my computer is 5.1

when I first install it and try to add any image the first error I get is " invalid floating point"

If I try to add another I get "access violation at address 0060AB52 in module 'apr.exe/. read of address 00000058

If I try to play a show I get " unhandled exception at "TPeEngine" disposing (D:\_common\WnLib\Win32\wpTypes.pas,line 539

what's up with this? any ideas

Pushu,

Some Questions:-

1) Before downloading PTE 5.1 was your Computer running O.K. ?

2) What Operating System are you using ?

3) By any chance have you downloaded Vista ?

4) If so have you downloaded the Sp2 Upgrade ?

5) Do you know the Make and Model of the Computer ?

With that information we should be able to get the problem sorted.

Brian.Conflow.

Brian:

Thank you for replying. Maybe you recall you helped me out at lenght a few years ago when I had an issue with a virus ( coolwebsearch, I think) do you recall the lens shipping fiasco? Good to hear from you again

My computer was working just fine prior to downloading, I have had nothing to do with vista. I tried the same operation on another computer on my network and have the exact same problem. the second computer was just built for me with top of the line specs.

both are operating with windows XP

Hope that info can be of some help

thanks

Hi Jim,

Great to hear from you again, hope you and family are fine and yes I'm still using the Lens with the Pentax.

Concerning your Network and the PC's and you are using XP ~ by any chance did you download the XP-Sp3

upgrade or did the PC's perform an 'auto-upgrade' from Microsoft ? ~ I know its a tricky question and we might have

to find that out, problem being that the Sp3 Upgrade is giving problems with certain PC Setup's.

But first, lets try and establish:- Were the PC working O.K before you downloaded PTE.5 ? ~ it seems thats a 'Yes'

and if that's a certainty, its more than likely that the Sp3 Upgrade was downloaded prior to you downloading PTE5.5

and its also possible that your Technician may have downloaded it in good faith. You need to check that !

This will give problems totally unconnected with PTE 5.5. with certain PC's.

I need to find more Data about that particular PC, and to that end I have "Attached" 2 Screenshots (F1 and F2) which are

instructions as to how we can find those details. I need a 'screenshot' of the 'System Information Window' as shown in F2.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1214818503_thumb.jpg

post-1416-1214818515_thumb.jpg

post-117-1214878105_thumb.jpgpost-117-1214878105_thumb.jpg

Brian:

Glad to hear the lens is serving you well. It was a small price to pay for all your time

All my computers were working just fine prior to trying to install 5.5

They are all set up to automatically download and install all new upgrades, so I would have to say yes to the install of XP-Sp3, even though I have no idea what that is?

As usual your instructions are easy to follow and I am attaching the screenshots requested - one from each computer

thanks again for all your help

post-117-1214878134_thumb.jpg

Hi Jim,

Yes, things are starting to come together here with the 'Screen-Shots Data' supplied.

I am coming to a conclusion as to "whats wrong" with the PC's you are Network running.

(Looks to me as if Sp2 is on them,but with 'auto-update' ON, one wonders about that)

I really need to know if XP-Sp3 Upgrades are actually installed on those Machines,then I

can give you a definitive analysis as to what wrong with them and how we can go about

some remedial actions. See "Attachment Instructions" below.

A Few other Questions:-

1) Are you running Adobe Photoshop ?

2) Are you running Norton Anti-Virus ?

3) Is your Network 'Live-On' always ?

4) Is your Broadband 'Live-On' always ?

5) Is your Lab-Account System 'Live-On' always ?

Just give a 'Yes/No' after the questions in return reply ~ dont forget the XP-Sp3 Check !

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1214912423_thumb.jpg

Brian:

to answer your questions:

I am running photoshop version cs3

I am not running norton anti virus but do have another anti virus

the network is always on as is the internet as I have roadrunner

I'm not sure what you mean about my lab acct system?

I did the search for ps2 and came up with 58 files

I did the search for ps3 and came up with 5 files - they are marked sp3 (3 of them have a .dll extention)

hope that bit of info helps

thanks, Jim

Jim,

As I've understood, version 5.1 works fine and the problem only when you try to use newest 5.5? If yes, please uninstall 5.5 again, and make new installation without importing settings from previous version.

Do you see welcome screen right after installation (demo slideshow in small window with white borders "Welcome to PicturesToExe...")?

Then try to add another JPEG images for first slide. How it works now?

Jim & Igor,

Jim,

So far so good, you have XP-Pro with the Sp2 Upgrade ~ thats perfect, so no Sp3 upgrades !

Jim you said that you have only 58 x SP2 Files ~ surely thats 258 Files, is that a typo error?

I had a look at the 'Data Sheets' for all 3 Machines and I note that the 2 Upstairs machines

are 'identical Twins' each with some 1.3.Gb of Available Physical Memory (RAM) and 1.9.Gb

of Available Virtual Memory. (Your own New Personal PC has much more Memory availability) and

all 3 PC's have fast Processors.

These 'Specs' are more than enough to run PTE 5.1 but that availability will drop-off when you

are working your PC-Network ~ this all depending how many Processes are running concurrently.

I note that Igor has returned from Holidays and has suggested a possible 'Fix' for this problem.

Thats well worth a try before we do anything else ~ there may be a Configuration conflict here as

everything else seems to be O.K so far...

Concerning your New Computer, I would like to contact you 'Off-Forum' about this. Don't worry

there is nothing wrong with it, but I would like to suggest a major performance improvement

for it which your Tech people have overlooked.

I will follow through with this as soon as you have time to try out Igor's suggestions...

Please keep in contact.

Brian.Conflow.

Igor:

your suggestion seemed to have solved the issue. when I got to the import from pervious version I hit cancel. I did see the welcome to pic2exe show in the small window. I was able to add slides and run the show without error messages.

Is this an issue accros the board or would this be specific to my application?

Many thanks for your help

Brian:

I would very much like to hear your suggestions regarding my computers performance.

My email is Naklick@imcnet.net - please contact me

In my earlier post with the screenshots I made a bit of an error as I don't have two upstairs machines and I accidnetally entered the same screen shot twice. sory about that

Jim

Jim

Post #5 - larger view

In the top screen shot you provided ( upstairs computer ?) it shows as Service Pack 2

post-14-1215049701_thumb.jpg

In the lower screen shot ( downstairs ? newer computer ) – Service Pack 3

post-14-1215049733_thumb.jpg

Just thought I would pass along my findings.

Possibly Brian could advise if this would be causing a conflict on a network system.

Glad to see that things are looking brighter.

Guest Yachtsman1
Igor:

your suggestion seemed to have solved the issue. when I got to the import from pervious version I hit cancel. I did see the welcome to pic2exe show in the small window. I was able to add slides and run the show without error messages.

Is this an issue accros the board or would this be specific to my application?

Many thanks for your help

Brian:

I would very much like to hear your suggestions regarding my computers performance.

My email is Naklick@imcnet.net - please contact me

In my earlier post with the screenshots I made a bit of an error as I don't have two upstairs machines and I accidnetally entered the same screen shot twice. sory about that

Jim

Hi Pushu

Word of warning, never publish your email address on a public forum, there are lots of scammers out there just waiting for an opportunity like this. I did it once and have regretted it ever since. Use the personal message facility

Yachtsman1 ;)

Hi Ralph,

Yes, I knew that about Sp2 and Sp3. The Sp3 Upgrade came pre-installed on Jims New PC

and there is little he could do about that. The PC is a 'Quad-Core Processor Machine' with

lots of Memory and is extremely powerful. The problem (sorted by Igor) was really one of

'Program Conflict' between two versions of PTE where Jim had inadvertently imported some

settings from V5.1 where in fact he should have made a 'New Install' with V5.5...it happens!

From my point of view I needed to establish the 'integrity' of the PCs on Jims Network prior

to looking for other issues such as that above.

In this situation with this PC, the Sp3 upgrade would not have bothered him but could have

impacted on the small PC running in parallel on his Live Network ~ but that was not the case.

Hope this explains all...

Brian.

thank you all for your help - everything is up and running fine.

I am wondering if importing settings from a previous version is what caused my issues - then why does that window even pop up?

yachtsman1 - I guess you are right about the email post - a bad idea on my part. I hope I don't have a problem with that. thank you for bringing that to my attention

Jim,

You asked:

I am wondering if importing settings from a previous version is what caused my issues - then why does that window even pop up?

Consider the situation of a user such as myself who has customised the various settings of Project Options to those that I use on a regular basis and then saved them as a Template and made that template my default template. Each time I install a new verion of PTE I ask it to copy the settings forward and thus preserve my customised defaults.

It works OK for me and is a handy little feature. As to why it seemed to cause you problems, I'm afraid I have no answer.

Further to yachtsman1's tip about e-mail addresses: when I first joined the forum I, too, was reluctant to publish my e-mail address for fear of being inundated with spam and other junk mail. After a while I noted that some users (Ken Cox for one) did publish their e-mail addresses. So I took the plunge and added my e-mail address to my signature on the forum. Since doing so I have not experienced any rise in junk mail and/or spam. Whether this is because the forum's hosting service has got good protection in place, or because my own ISP has got excellent e-mail filtering in place, or simply because I've been lucky - I don't know.

Hi Jim

It might be a good idea to go back to your previous posting and delete your e-mail address? ;)

You can edit it out.

Best Wishes

Maureen

Jim, I would second Maureen's suggestion regarding deleting your email address from your previous post. When I was a new-boy to forums I too had a bad experience when I published my email address.

In future if you wish someone to send you a email you should use the PM (Private Message) function on the forum to send them your email address.

Or as a last resort you can publish your email address in the following format:

Fred+INTERNET-net

where +=@

and -=.

as most trawling software tools used to find email address on forums etc will search for the @ symbol, so if you use any other symbol to substitute for these it is more safe, but not foolproof. Most people can workout the address from this code.

Hi Guys & Gals,

I had just read the continuations of this thread and I do appreciate your concerns about EMail Address's.

But consider this:-

Each and every time you go 'On-Line' your Computer is automatically broadcasting your unique 'IPS-Number'

assigned to you by your IPS-Provider. Their Server and the Interconnects issue 64,000 Copies of that Number

each and every time you go on Line. Unfortunately there is no other way of letting the World know you are 'On-Line'.

For a determined Hacker or Spammer or Auto-Keylogger ~ thats all they need ~ Your IPS Number.

There is very little you can do about that, even if you are using a Line-Router, they get its number first.

Perhaps you are wise enough to use a 'Proxy-Server, makes no difference, they get its number also and because

its connected to you (one way or another) their "junk" will get through ~ Unless you use an 'Anti-Spam Utility' which

removes the junk from your EMail In-Box on your PC or you use a very special 'EMail Server Program' which removes

the rubbish from your IPS Server before it even gets to you.

Concerning the 'Invision-Board' Forum Utility ~ Invision Board Worldwide have excellent Anti-Spam utilities and interconnect

scanning for known IPS abusers. But they can't police all the worldwide connections and from time to time we have had

some 'spammers' and a number of 'auto-keyloggers' hanging on our wires....unfortunately, thats the way Life is !!

America leads the World in abuse of the Internet for the reason by 'Congress Law' which places a limit of 40.Bit maximum

Security encryption on General Web Traffic (To accomodate the FBI & CIA) Reference:- the 'Patriot-Law' ~ whereas the rest

of the World uses at least 128 Bit.Security. Banking Institutions in Europe (inc Paypal & Visa) use 256.Bit Security.

This Post is made in good faith so as to let you know the facts of 'whats going on' in the World-Wide Web (www) and its also an

attempt to clear out the 'conjectures' about this Topic and to restore confidence in the Forum Board. Other things which happen

outside the control of the Invision-Board are really a personal matter...at least now you know the facts.

Hope this has been helpful to those plagued with Spam and those worried about it.

Brian.Conflow.

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi Guys & Gals,

I had just read the continuations of this thread and I do appreciate your concerns about EMail Address's.

But consider this:-

Each and every time you go 'On-Line' your Computer is automatically broadcasting your unique 'IPS-Number'

assigned to you by your IPS-Provider. Their Server and the Interconnects issue 64,000 Copies of that Number

each and every time you go on Line. Unfortunately there is no other way of letting the World know you are 'On-Line'.

For a determined Hacker or Spammer or Auto-Keylogger ~ thats all they need ~ Your IPS Number.

There is very little you can do about that, even if you are using a Line-Router, they get its number first.

Perhaps you are wise enough to use a 'Proxy-Server, makes no difference, they get its number also and because

its connected to you (one way or another) their "junk" will get through ~ Unless you use an 'Anti-Spam Utility' which

removes the junk from your EMail In-Box on your PC or you use a very special 'EMail Server Program' which removes

the rubbish from your IPS Server before it even gets to you.

Concerning the 'Invision-Board' Forum Utility ~ Invision Board Worldwide have excellent Anti-Spam utilities and interconnect

scanning for known IPS abusers. But they can't police all the worldwide connections and from time to time we have had

some 'spammers' and a number of 'auto-keyloggers' hanging on our wires....unfortunately, thats the way Life is !!

America leads the World in abuse of the Internet for the reason by 'Congress Law' which places a limit of 40.Bit maximum

Security encryption on General Web Traffic (To accomodate the FBI & CIA) Reference:- the 'Patriot-Law' ~ whereas the rest

of the World uses at least 128 Bit.Security. Banking Institutions in Europe (inc Paypal & Visa) use 256.Bit Security.

This Post is made in good faith so as to let you know the facts of 'whats going on' in the World-Wide Web (www) and its also an

attempt to clear out the 'conjectures' about this Topic and to restore confidence in the Forum Board. Other things which happen

outside the control of the Invision-Board are really a personal matter...at least now you know the facts.

Hope this has been helpful to those plagued with Spam and those worried about it.

Brian.Conflow.

The reason I suggested removing the email address, in 2004 I joined a caravan forum, I am still receiving requests on asking how to repair an Electrolux absorbtion fridge!!!

Last night I was following the various links on the "sound effects" thread links, downloaded a couple of freebies when B****R me my system flagged up a virus, first time ever since I bought the machine in January. My philosophy, "be careful".

yachtsman1.

Yachtsman

"Last night I was following the various links on the "sound effects" thread links, downloaded a couple of freebies when B****R me my system flagged up a virus, first time ever since I bought the machine in January. My philosophy, "be careful".

yachtsman1. "

would be nice if you gave forum the link so other members didn't go there

ken

Guest Yachtsman1
Yachtsman

"Last night I was following the various links on the "sound effects" thread links, downloaded a couple of freebies when B****R me my system flagged up a virus, first time ever since I bought the machine in January. My philosophy, "be careful".

yachtsman1. "

would be nice if you gave forum the link so other members didn't go there

ken

Hi Ken

Sorry I must have flashed through about 10 sites in as many minutes, so I haven't a clue where it came from. Since clearing it out I retained the two sound effects from the original link and the virus hasn't returned :o

Yachtsman1