WnSoft Forums

Vista Issues

hf773

Please forgive me if this issue has arisen before but I'm a newbie on this forum and cannot find it by search.

I have been told that P2Exe has problems running on Vista? Is this correct or am I being led up a blind alley?

The reason I ask is that my 'C' drive needs replacing with a much larger one and it would make sense to go to Vista (if I need to) at the same time.

I would appreciate comments.

...The reason I ask is that my 'C' drive needs replacing with a much larger one and it would make sense to go to Vista (if I need to) at the same time....

This question rather depends on your system resources that on PTE, Vista seems to need more memory etc.

Best regards,

Xaver H.

Munich

Hi hfimages,

I'm assuming that you are using PTE v5 of some flavour. If not please post again giving the version of PTE that you currently use.

Windows Vista is a "memory hungry" operating system. Whilst it will run PTE v5 sequences on a PC with 1GB of RAM, it runs better with 2GB or more. Bear in mind that the smooth running of PTE v5 sequences that make use of Pan/Zoom/Rotate animations is dependent on the graphics card or graphics chipset. You talk about upgrading because your hard-drive is full. This suggests that the PC itself may be at the older end of the age range. So the suitability of the graphics card may be a concern.

Do your existing sequences make use of Pan/Zoom/Rotate?

Do your existing sequences play OK on your existing system?

If the answer to both questions is Yes, then upgrading to Vista should be OK provided you also add extra RAM - to at least 1GB and preferably 2GB or more.

If the answer to the first question is No then you should think about downloading some sequences with complex animations (e.g. from Lin Evans's web sites: http://www.lin-evans.net/ and/or http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/) and get your system checked out for suitability. You may find that you need to upgrade the graphics.

If you do decide to upgrade to Vista then the only "problem" you are likely to come across is a brief flicker to and fro to the Windows desktop at the start and end of each sequence. The developers are aware of this and have undertaken to try and resolve it in a future release. Based on feedback via this forum, it would seem that PTE V5.6 is well advanced in its development. I'm hoping that this "desktop flicker" problem has been addressed successfully in that version.

On a non-PTE aspect of the Vista upgrade - be very aware that not all your previous software will install under Vista. It has its own views as to what constitutes Vista-compatible software and if believes the software to be non-compliant it will refuse to let it install. I had to upgrade Adobe Photoshop Elements from v3 to v5 in order to get a "Vista-compliant" version. And I have had to retire my PDA because there were no Vista-compliant drivers for it.

My experience is that the things that are Vista-compliant all seem to work as you would expect them to "straight out of the box". And that includes PTE v5.

regards,

Peter

Hi HFImages,

Your plan to replace your Hard-Drive and install Vista may give you a lot more headaches

than what you anticipated. Quite simply, if your PC is more than 3 years old you are looking

at a 'warren' of Microsoft understatements of the minimum requirements to install Vista.

Here below is the (published) 'Microsoft Requirements Specifications' to run Vista on a PC.

They really mean what they say ~ minimum requirements for Vista ~ and everything else is

at your own risk.

What they are saying is:..."We cant anticipate the additional needs of individual PCs"....

The "Attachment" below will explain all and hopefully will help you in any decision you make.

(Notes have been added to the Specifications in the light of hard practical experience)

Do keep in contact and let the Members know how you are getting on.

Regards,

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1218628760_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Thanks all.

I appreciate the issues about Vista and, although my machine is 4 years old it has had numerous upgrades. It is 64 bit. I have 4 gig Ram, five hard drives (one external) and other stuff. It was self built with components that I chose rather than buying compromises from a store, so I have good stuff in it.

I have run the Vista Advisor and the only software that it says might be a problem is Nero 7 and I shall need new drivers for my two printers and scanner. the oldest printer is an R2400 and Epson have Vista drivers and Canon have them for the other printer and scanner.

I have run sequences with animations so I have decide to go ahead and will keep my fingers firmly crossed!!