WnSoft Forums

TRANSFERING FILES TO A DIFFERENT DRIVE

Arthur Morris

My new HP laptop has a two drives, a C drive and and F drive. After I transferred a group of files containing images for various slide programs from my old D drive to my new C drive and I attempt to open the file for a given slide program I get the expected error message: Errors Found/Pictures not found with a long list of the missing images such as Picture D:\A Digital Photographs/DISK TWO ALL LARGE SLIDE SHOWS FILM & DIGITAL/EXPOSURE ABQ\IMG_0008.jpeg. Etc, etc. etc.

Is there any way to relink to the same image folder on the C drive so that I do not have to rec-arrange four to five hundred iamges in each slide program?

If you have version 5 of PTE on both the new and old PCs, use the File...Create Backup as Zip option on each show in the old PC, transfer the zip file to the new PC and then Extract the zip file into the desired folder of the new PC.

regards,

Peter

Ken,

Hang on a minute ~ this is a Tech Problem and it seems to be in the correct Forum..."technical discussions,problems,etc,etc".

Arthur. We have HP Laptops in our Workshops and yes the Main Hard-Drive is partitioned into two sections, viz:-

'Main Drive-C' and 'Sys-Backup Drive-F' and may I ask what do you mean by your 'Old D-Drive'? where is it ?.....was it, or is it in your Desktop PC ? More specific information would be most helpful.

Brian.Conflow.

Ken

There are a number of questions that appear again and again like this one on the forum. I wonder if we need a new forum heading like FAQ where these queries could be copied, it would be a read only section and when you copied a thread there the heading would need to be reworded to describe the question accurately.

To qualify maybe if the question has been asked more than 4-5 times in a year it could be copied/moved there and this would become the first point to search for an answer before they post a problem.

Just an idea. :)

Ken,

Hang on a minute ~ this is a Tech Problem and it seems to be in the correct Forum..."technical discussions,problems,etc,etc".

Arthur. We have HP Laptops in our Workshops and yes the Main Hard-Drive is partitioned into two sections, viz:-

'Main Drive-C' and 'Sys-Backup Drive-F' and may I ask what do you mean by your 'Old D-Drive'? where is it ?.....was it, or is it in your Desktop PC ? More specific information would be most helpful.

Brian.Conflow.

The D drive was on my Toshiba laptop.

Peter's post above is correct procedure in your case.

If you have version 5 of PTE on both the new and old PCs, use the File...Create Backup as Zip option on each show in the old PC, transfer the zip file to the new PC and then Extract the zip file into the desired folder of the new PC.

Pte backup .pte file should read the new relative file path locations. Pte will look first for the old fixed file path ... if they dont exist it will look in the new relative file path.

For the backup .pte to retain the new file paths internally ... you must open that backup .pte file and save it. Make sure theres no lingering files from old file path available ... because pte will look for them there first.

Arthur/Morris,

There are a few ways of doing this, all equally effective ~ personally I agree with 'DaveGee'~

I also would make 'Templates' of the Shows from their 'Associated Folders' which should contain

the .pte Path File, which means that the 'Shows' should open up on the Toshiba without problems.

(If they don't open you have problems before you even start the Transfer process)

* Open each Show in your version of PTE on the Toshiba and then create a 'Template' (see below)...

* These 'Template's are stored within the Template Folder within your PTE Program Folder.

* Simply copy the 'Templates' to a Memory Pen and then transfer them into the Template Folder of

the PTE Program on your New HP Laptop. When finished, shut-down and new-start the Laptop

Why use Templates ? Because the Template contains everything (inc Music) and .pte Path File

and all Images...its an absolute 'mimic' of each and every (entire) Show Folder which will be

loaded into the Template Folder of your PTE Program Folder on your New HP Laptop..

You can 'copy' these elsewhere into New Folders complete with the .pte Path File as needed.

Why Memory Pen ? Its non-mechanical and the transfer is pure Digital (No Zip Compression)

at speeds up to full USB Transfer protocol ~ and you have a 'copy' on the Memory Pen should

you encounter problems.

Hope this helps,

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1220010161_thumb.jpg

post-1416-1220010169_thumb.jpg

...I wonder if we need a new forum heading like FAQ...
...we have been trying for quite some time to get something workable...

I raised this very subject (FAQs) with Ken in an off-list e-mail just a couple of days ago. I agree that something of this sort would be useful - but do we really want to distract Igor from his development work?

I'm wondering whether this is something that a small group of members could get organised without adding to Igor's existing workload. If anyone feels able and willing to:

- make an active contribution to the design of such a facility

- participate in the on-going maintenance and moderation of such a facility

would you please contact me either via PM through this forum website or via direct e-mail

regards,

Peter