WnSoft Forums

dpi and beamer

manis

HI

I am making a slideshow that will be shown on a beamer that I don't know. As it will be shown for a big audience, I suppose it will be a quality beamer. The only request from the organizer is that the resolution of the pictures shouldn't be bigger than 1920x1200. As I am working with a slr I put my pictures on a resolution of 1800x1200. But I also put my pictures on dpi 300. Will this give a problem or is it better to keep the 1800x1200 and put the dpi on 72?

I don't know which computer they are using .

Thanks

Reine

But I also put my pictures on dpi 300. Will this give a problem or is it better to keep the 1800x1200 and put the dpi on 72?

The number of DPI doesn't change anything on a screen, it's only when we print.

Guest Yachtsman1

In my experience, pictures saved at 300dpi suffer from moire (shimmering) when animated, I usually use 150dpi or less at 1024x768.

Yachtsman1

PS I assume beamer is slang for projector ;)

Eric (Yachtsman1),

The dpi (which stands for dots per inch) has no effect whatsoever on the quality of a projected image or on the size of the image file. Dpi has meaning and function only for images that are being digitally printed. If you doubt me, look at the three attached images. They are all 1200 pixels wide and 1600 pixels high and saved at quality level 5 (medium) as jpgs. The only difference was in the dpi setting during the "resize" operation. There is no difference between them.

regards,

Peter

post-4886-1224784260_thumb.jpgpost-4886-1224784284_thumb.jpgpost-4886-1224784317_thumb.jpg

Eric,

Sorry, should have added that moire shimmering is a function of what is in the image and not of the size or anything else. It comes about because of the particular subject matter and the animation (in terms of pan or zoom or rotate) applied to it.

It's appearance can be combated by using the Blur option within PTE v5 O&A or the Mip-mapping option in v5.6 beta. This applies to the whole image. An alternative approach is to apply 1% Gaussian blur via Photoshop to just those parts of the image where the effect is being seen.

regards,

Peter

In my experience, pictures saved at 300dpi suffer from moire (shimmering) when animated, I usually use 150dpi or less at 1024x768.

Yachtsman1

How it's possible? I never see any difference on a screen, even from moire. We probably haven't the same experience. Please, be enough curious to save a file at 300 dpi and at 72 dpi, and compare them with a tool, you will see no byte are different, there will be exactly the same.

Well,

This is quite a bunch of quick and clear answers!

I don't know what projector is being used though...

I'll leave my pictures as they are...even if there are too big, I don't think this will cause any problem.

Thanks a lot

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

Sorry, should have added that moire shimmering is a function of what is in the image and not of the size or anything else. It comes about because of the particular subject matter and the animation (in terms of pan or zoom or rotate) applied to it.

It's appearance can be combated by using the Blur option within PTE v5 O&A or the Mip-mapping option in v5.6 beta. This applies to the whole image. An alternative approach is to apply 1% Gaussian blur via Photoshop to just those parts of the image where the effect is being seen.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

When I first started using PTE I saved my images at 300dpi, and experienced moire in some instances, when panning over water and brickwork etc. I tried reducing to 150 dpi and the moire reduced to the extent that it was acceptable, hence the statement, similar to images over 1mb.???

Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

When I first started using PTE I saved my images at 300dpi, and experienced moire in some instances, when panning over water and brickwork etc. I tried reducing to 150 dpi and the moire reduced to the extent that it was acceptable, hence the statement, similar to images over 1mb.???

Yachtsman1

My understanding is that the dpi (ppi) setting is contained within the metadata section of an image file in a similar way to aperture, shutter speed, date etc. The image data would be unaffected by any change in dpi (ppi) setting.

If your observation is correct then it would have significant implications. Perhaps someone with a more detailed knowledge of how animations are created at the code level could comment.

Malcolm

My understanding is that the dpi (ppi) setting is contained within the metadata section of an image file in a similar way to aperture, shutter speed, date etc. The image data would be unaffected by any change in dpi (ppi) setting...

Malcolm,

Your understanding is correct! See also here.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

Eric,

..When I first started using PTE I saved my images at 300dpi, and experienced moire in some instances, when panning over water and brickwork etc. I tried reducing to 150 dpi and the moire reduced to the extent that it was acceptable...

Could you post an example of a 300dpi and 150dpi image that you have actually used? I find it hard to believe that simply changing the dpi value could have any effect at all on shimmering. As Malcolm has indicated, the dpi value is simply meta-data associated with the image file and has no direct bearing on the data content of the image file.

regards,

Peter

Just an additional remark:

You can make copies of your images and apply the free stripper application (http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=30), and remove the exif data, leaving the image data unchanged. These copies will not possess any dpi values. Your projector will not care for this fact.

Regards,

Xaver

Munich