WnSoft Forums

Bug in custom slide "effects", non-sync

think(box)

I tested for this observed functionality issue after watching Oleg's tutorial show, Create Background without plugin filters (non-sync), where I observed the star field picture frame "painting" two different ways (effects), going forward and backward.

What I discovered applies to only non-sync shows with custom transition effects. In summary, when advancing to next slide I get one "effect" type, and when I use the left arrow to go back one slide I get a different "effect" type. I can see that the effect defined for the previous slide is what P2E displays, but if I am going back one slide I expect the same effect to happen in reverse. What actually happens is a different effect altogether. Think of playing a video program in reverse to understand why it seems wrong. Here is the problem sequence illustration:

Forward sequence in P2E now: Effect 2->Slide 2->Effect 3->Slide 3->Effect 4->Slide 4 etc.

Backward sequence in P2E now: Slide 4->Effect 3->Slide 3->Effect 2->Slide 2->Effect 1 etc.

Backward sequence expected: Slide 4->Effect 4->Slide 3->Effect 3->Slide 2->Effect 2 etc.

Notice that the sequence I perceive to be "expected" is in fact, actually the reverse of the forward sequence of slides and transition effects. P2E is being coded to introduce a slide using the same effect when playing in forward and backward direction. I think this is incorrect functionality.

In addition to the sequencing correction required, ideally the effect itself should happen in reverse. E.g. Clockwise (forward play) becomes Counter-Clockwise (backwards play), and From Center (forward play) becomes To Center (backwards play). All of the effects have reversible "polarities" in this regard except for simple fade, which doesn't have any "polarity" at all.

This is a subtle, yet quite definite, functional error proven to exist in v4.10 beta #8 (earlier versions were not tested).

Gee Bill, are you "thinking inside the box" on this one? :o I mean you are asking for the "expected" functionality.

I'm just having a little fun with this one - but I'm not sure I agree that Igor's handling is "incorrect functionality."

It seems to me it is perhaps just a philosophical decision or preference. Granted it may not have even been considered. But if it was, I am not convinced it is "wrong." I guess I can imagine some shows where it would be more useful to have the method you suggest. Are you thinking of - say - some technical teaching demo or ? Or is it just more fun like running an old movie backward to see the swimmer diving out of the ocean?

Thanks - that's funny Bob. I debated calling this "incorrect" vs. a "judgement call" and decided to trust the sense found when watching a show. The P2E show just doesn't go "backwards" in the true sense. We all have VCRs or DVD players (not to mention those early days of that old 8mm/super-8 "film") and we know what backwards is! I like watching the swimmer dive out of the ocean! Imagine them going up the diving board and then diving out of the ocean. Doesn't make any sense to me :o

I agree with you Robert,

Gee Bill, are you "thinking inside the box" on this one?  I mean you are asking for the "expected" functionality.

Bill ... you amaze me . B) .. I belive what is expected to be correct behavior, would not be quite so pleasing as to what is acceptably correct behavior.

I would also assume (if everything is played true reverse) ... all wav and mp3 files must play backwards to ? :o