WnSoft Forums

Zooming and panning functions

Picsel

Hello,

That is my first time on this forum, am very happy to congratulate PTE community for its work. I am a newbie and french, so sorry for my poor questions in bad english : nobody is perfect!

I made my first slideshow with PTE 5.5, that is very satisfying for the quality of images, transitions,etc... Not always very easy to use for a beginner, I am still discovering new functions, but very interesting and I am very happy to use it.

However I encounterd some difficulties so there is my questions.

Concerning zooming and panning effect

I used zooming and panning for several pictures, starting the effect at key points on the timeline. I noticed that the effect start too sharply, so I try to use decelerating or accelerating curves but in those cases the effect doest not apply from the previous keypoint but from the starting point of the timeline whatever the number of keypoints in between. The problem was the same for all pictures with this effect. I do not succeed to solve this issue. So if someone can help me ...thanks in advance

I can guess I made some mistake, but where? I read the user guide and faqs several times but I found nothing to help me. Is this problem in connection with the use of frames or not? And so my second question is : how to use frames? How does it work? Where can I find some more explanation about to use it (I saw Umberto questions and Peter answers on this forum but the mechanics of this function is still not very clear for me).

Hi Picsel,

If you could create a quick sample and use the "File" "create backup in zip" feature and post the zip file perhaps we can help you with the proper way to set up the non-linear feature which you wish to achieve.

In general, you choose smooth, accelerate, etc., then go to "custom" and separate the keyframes which are "glued" by default. This applies the non-linear function to the entire movement for that particular slide. You should do this in practice for each of Pan, Zoom and Rotate because there are often interactions even if not intended.

It is possible to separate only certain keyframes in the entire sequence thus applying the non-linear feature to only a portion of the total movement of the object but this can be deceiving and with unintended results until you fully understand how to achieve this.

A sample and explanation of what you wish to achieve will help greatly with an explanation.

This really has noting to do with "frames"

Frames are invisible but real dimensions (like a rectangle with opacity set to zero) the primary use of which is as a "parent" device to control child objects in terms of size, movement, position, etc.

By moving or sizing a frame, each child object will mirror this movement or size "unless" you set independent movement or size for the child object. In such case the child will still be affected by the parent frame's motion, size, etc., but also move according to the independent motion you program via keyframe for the child.

As an example please look at my AVOI demonstration on Esoteric (advanced) Rotation here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7901

This will give you an idea of how a parent and child relationship work using rotation in this example. The frame could easily replace the child object and the result would be identical in this example.

So a "Frame" is simply a convenience to let you take advantage of parent/child relationships in your animations. It can be used in many different ways as you can imagine.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Picsel,

If you could create a quick sample and use the "File" "create backup in zip" feature and post the zip file perhaps we can help you with the proper way to set up the non-linear feature which you wish to achieve.

In general, you choose smooth, accelerate, etc., then go to "custom" and separate the keyframes which are "glued" by default. This applies the non-linear function to the entire movement for that particular slide. You should do this in practice for each of Pan, Zoom and Rotate because there are often interactions even if not intended.

It is possible to separate only certain keyframes in the entire sequence thus applying the non-linear feature to only a portion of the total movement of the object but this can be deceiving and with unintended results until you fully understand how to achieve this.

A sample and explanation of what you wish to achieve will help greatly with an explanation.

This really has noting to do with "frames"

Frames are invisible but real dimensions (like a rectangle with opacity set to zero) the primary use of which is as a "parent" device to control child objects in terms of size, movement, position, etc.

By moving or sizing a frame, each child object will mirror this movement or size "unless" you set independent movement or size for the child object. In such case the child will still be affected by the parent frame's motion, size, etc., but also move according to the independent motion you program via keyframe for the child.

As an example please look at my AVI demonstration on Esoteric (advanced) Rotation here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7901

This will give you an idea of how a parent and child relationship work using rotation in this example. The frame could easily replace the child object and the result would be identical in this example.

So a "Frame" is simply a convenience to let you take advantage of parent/child relationships in your animations. It can be used in many different ways as you can imagine.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks a lot, Lin for your detailed and useful explanations, so I will have a look in depth on your document before coming back to you. If I do not succeed to solve my problem I will post to you an abstract of my slideshow, with the backup zip files as suggested.

Sorry for having posted my question in the wrong Items I will try to do better next time!

Hello Lin,

First of all, thank you for your very good job. Your video tutorials are very clear and helpful, well

done! Obviously, thanks to your explanations, I solved my problem which, as you said, had nothing to do with frame use. And everything becomes clear concerning frame use and parent-child mechanics.

So for my project everything is ok now : I have separated the keyframes as you suggested to do.

However I would like to understand how the non linear effect works. There are some remaining dark or strange points, perhaps to be cleaned up in the next PTE version if not too late.

So first of all I must explain the desired effect (please refer to the file test attached : test_PTZ_smooth.zip which includes the modification)

The file test is composed of only one slide which includes 3 images. There are 5 keypoints on the timeline : A,B,C,D,E

Image 1 (salomon) -----------------------------------------B--opacity 0 100--C ---hold----D---zoom and pan---E

Image 2 (fondnoir_degradeblanc)-----------------------B-----------pan--------- C

Image 3 (P1170378m)---------------A-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------E

A to B Image 3 is displayed

B to C there is a curtain effect masking the building in background, putting the sculpture in light

C to D hold

D to E zooming and panning on the sculpture, ending on the characters over the pilar.

(the following slide, not included in the file, starts with the same but sharpest picture of the characters).

So now what happens :

1) if zoom and pans are in linear mode everything looks ok except starting too fast as mentioned in your document.

2) if zoom and pan are in smooth mode without customization, the problem occurs, zoom and pan start at B keypoint and not at D as specified, (this is in accordance with what we can see in the customization window, which seems not taking into account that we have specified before)

3) if zoom and pan are in smooth mode, separating keyframes only at C the problem remains the same as 2)

4) if zoom and pan are in smooth mode, separating keyframes at C and D (as you suggested) every thing is ok

5) if zoom and pan are in smooth mode, separating keyframes at D it seems to work as for 4)

It is very strange that in the customization window : when separating keyframes, it appears windows for programming slopes even for the keyframes which are not involved in the zooming and panning process.

I do not understand why there is a difference in treatment between linear, smooth or other non linear modes, only the slope is different (probably easier to say than to do….!) can we expect an improvement on this for the next version of PTE?

Other thing which is strange, if I separate keyframes at D it seems to work even if I specify different slopes between B and D for zoom and pan (for example accelerating one for pan and decelerating one for zoom). So in this case the specification of slopes between B and D is not taken into account.

In fact, it seems that there is a missing link between the specification of movement at keypoints and the specification of non-linear modes. The specification of keypoints are not reported correctly when using non-linear movement, am I right or wrong? Do you know if we can expect an improvement on this for the next version of PTE?

Best regards,

Daniel.

test_PTZ_smooth.zip

look at this pte project i think it is what you want

go to o&a window

for salomon clik on "custom" and "setting up" you will discover the sequence

Hello Maurice,

thanks for your reply and your time. Perhaps I was not clear enough in my previous post. In fact the file attached to my post was reporting the modification exactly as Lin suggested to do and it works.

I made also the same modification as yours and you can observe that in the customization window : when the keyframes are separated at D, you get two windows for slopes adjustment, one for movement between B and D another one for movement between D and E. I obtain the same result whatever the slope specification between B and D and even if slopes are opposite for Zoom and Span. That means that it is not taken into account for movement calculation between B and D. That was that I tried to explain at the end of my previous post.

That also the reason why I said it seems there is no link between keypoints specification (P and Z are both unused for salomon between B and D) and the customization of non-linear mode (we need to separate keyframes only for non-linear modes). But it was just for a better understanding of non-linear mechanisms. And also to highlight this point in order to help people working on PTE new version to improve or ease the use of this very interesting function. In any case my problem is solved.

Best regards

Daniel.

Hello Maurice,

thanks for your reply and your time. Perhaps I was not clear enough in my previous post. In fact the file attached to my post was reporting the modification exactly as Lin suggested to do and it works.

I made also the same modification as yours and you can observe that in the customization window : when the keyframes are separated at D, you get two windows for slopes adjustment, one for movement between B and D another one for movement between D and E. I obtain the same result whatever the slope specification between B and D and even if slopes are opposite for Zoom and Span. That means that it is not taken into account for movement calculation between B and D. That was that I tried to explain at the end of my previous post.

That also the reason why I said it seems there is no link between keypoints specification (P and Z are both unused for salomon between B and D) and the customization of non-linear mode (we need to separate keyframes only for non-linear modes). But it was just for a better understanding of non-linear mechanisms. And also to highlight this point in order to help people working on PTE new version to improve or ease the use of this very interesting function. In any case my problem is solved.

Best regards

Daniel.

it is evident that when there is no variation betweeen to points you can choose any mode the result is always no variation..you need only to specify that there are two zones and programm the slopes in the zone where it is useful...

it is recommanded to customize all (pan, zoom, rotate) but in your exemple without rotation it is unuseful

i dont realy understand what is your problem..

i dont realy understand your problem...

it is evident that when there is no variation betweeen to points you can choose any mode the result is always no variation..you need only to specify that there are two zones and programm the slopes in the zone where it is useful...

it is recommanded to customize all (pan, zoom, rotate) but in your exemple without rotation it is unuseful

The problem.....!

when you want to make an effect, you open the o&a window, for each keypoint you can select the desired effect , there is no problem with linear but if you select another non-linear effect you have to enter in customization window and separate keyframes and all stuff.....otherwise it doesnt work! That is the problem. As already discussed linear effect and non-linear effect cannot be specified following the same way. It is certainly evident for you but sorry not for me, I am quite sure not to be alone!!.

in complement to my previous post I must say that I full agree with your solution which seems very logical. I hope it works each time.

I take the opportunity to thank all of you, Lin, Frank and you for your help.

Daniel.

Hi Picsel,

I believe that what accounts for the difference in what one would "expect" to see in relation to keyframes, non-linear slopes, etc., and the observed reality is the lack of an "anchor" point keyframe at zero time on the timeline for "all" objects.

To fully understand how the keyframes are designed to work, the expectation is that each object will have a full timeline beginning with zero time for the individual slide. So to keep things working as expected, do not move or delete the initial keyframe for an object. When you click on any object in the object's list there "should" be a keyframe at the "start" position which is automatically inserted. Though it may be possible to get the desired result without this, it makes it difficult to understand "why" it works or does not work as expected and also upsets the logic.

Try doing the sequence again but leaving the default keyframe for all objects at the start of the timeline. I believe this will solve the mystery.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Picsel,

I believe that what accounts for the difference in what one would "expect" to see in relation to keyframes, non-linear slopes, etc., and the observed reality is the lack of an "anchor" point keyframe at zero time on the timeline for "all" objects.

To fully understand how the keyframes are designed to work, the expectation is that each object will have a full timeline beginning with zero time for the individual slide. So to keep things working as expected, do not move or delete the initial keyframe for an object. When you click on any object in the object's list there "should" be a keyframe at the "start" position which is automatically inserted. Though it may be possible to get the desired result without this, it makes it difficult to understand "why" it works or does not work as expected and also upsets the logic.

Try doing the sequence again but leaving the default keyframe for all objects at the start of the timeline. I believe this will solve the mystery.

As for the reasons for needing to either "glue" or "separate" keyframes rather than have it automatically done such as with linear, the reason has to do with "flexibility". With linear motion across all objects the logic is simple and straight-forward. But when the need is to "mix" linear and non-linear motion, the requirement becomes much more complex. One must specify "when" on the timeline the non-linear motion is to begin and end. In order to do so keframes are inserted at appropriate times for the start and finish times for the non-linear movement. Also the option to "customize" the start and finish curves of the non-linear motion becomes important.

The reason for the suggestion to apply these changes to pan zoom and rotate even when perhaps there is only one of these three actually being used is for safety only and to avoid unintended results. Often, especially when using the click and drag to achieve the desired motion effect at a particular point, one inadvertently makes changes to more than one of the three possibilities of pan, zoom or rotate. For example, assume you only want to zoom but you do it by dragging the green bounding rectangle. If you accidentally move the frame only a fraction horizontally from the zero, zero point, then subsequently change from a linear to non-linear motion, if you do not separate keyframes on pan as well as zoom you will not get the expected results. Likewise for rotate. If the frame is even rotated by a degree and non-linear motion is set for pan or zoom the results will be strange if the keframes for rotate are not separated, etc. Since there is no "penalty" for separating keframes for all three possible motions when it's done for one, the suggestion to do it for all three is simply insurance against possible unintended results.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Picsel,

As for the reasons for needing to either "glue" or "separate" keyframes rather than have it automatically done such as with linear, the reason has to do with "flexibility". With linear motion across all objects the logic is simple and straight-forward. But when the need is to "mix" linear and non-linear motion, the requirement becomes much more complex. One must specify "when" on the timeline the non-linear motion is to begin and end. In order to do so keframes are inserted at appropriate times for the start and finish times for the non-linear movement. Also the option to "customize" the start and finish curves of the non-linear motion becomes important.

The reason for the suggestion to apply these changes to pan zoom and rotate even when perhaps there is only one of these three actually being used is for safety only and to avoid unintended results. Often, especially when using the click and drag to achieve the desired motion effect at a particular point, one inadvertently makes changes to more than one of the three possibilities of pan, zoom or rotate. For example, assume you only want to zoom but you do it by dragging the green bounding rectangle. If you accidentally move the frame only a fraction horizontally from the zero, zero point, then subsequently change from a linear to non-linear motion, if you do not separate keyframes on pan as well as zoom you will not get the expected results. Likewise for rotate. If the frame is even rotated by a degree and non-linear motion is set for pan or zoom the results will be strange if the keframes for rotate are not separated, etc. Since there is no "penalty" for separating keframes for all three possible motions when it's done for one, the suggestion to do it for all three is simply insurance against possible unintended results.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thanks for your suggestions I will apply from now on. So taking into account your suggestions and solution as proposed by Photosalmon (I had already tested), I hope, I will have no longer problems with non-linear animation which is a very interesting PTE function.

Best regards

Daniel.