WnSoft Forums

Disk Playback Error

sequoia017

I'm a new user, and I know this is pretty basic but, I seem to be having trouble creating a disk that will play in my DVD player. I get an error that tells me that the file can't be played due to a "area restriction"???? Does this pertain to the screen size or something? How do I make a disk that can be played back on any DVD player or cumputer?? Would greatly appreciate any tips here. Thanks

That generally means you are living in an area or your DVD player was manufactured for an area using a different protocol than you are encoding with. For example, if you live in the US you need to use NTSC encoding and if you live in the UK you need PAL. Tell us where you live, what kind of DVD player you are using and then we can make suggestions...

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Computer made DVD's can be PAL or NTSC but are not usually region specific.

I make DVDs in PAL and send them to various countries - USA, Japan, which are different regions to here in the UK.

Modern DVD Players will almost invariably play them, although they are PAL, because they are not region specific.

Commercially bought DVDs are region specific where there is a copyright issue.

DaveG

I'm assuming from the original post that sequoia017 is trying to play the DVD in a set-top DVD player and not on a computer. If the burned DVD is region-free it's possible the player is refusing to play it for that very reason. There are some players that will not play region-free DVDs.

I have obviously not tried every make and model of DVD player, but I have never come across a player that will not play a region free DVD.

I'd be interested to know what specific make and model will not play a region free DVD for future reference?

It is possible that the age of the player is relevant - ancient players will not play BOTH Pal and NTSC but more modern units USUALLY play both Pal and NTSC and also play region free DVDs.

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1
I have obviously not tried every make and model of DVD player, but I have never come across a player that will not play a region free DVD.

I'd be interested to know what specific make and model will not play a region free DVD for future reference?

It is possible that the age of the player is relevant - ancient players will not play BOTH Pal and NTSC but more modern units USUALLY play both Pal and NTSC and also play region free DVDs.

DaveG

Hi Dave

I had an instance of this. I bought a sony surround sound / dvd player in Spain in 2002. When I returned to the UK, I converted some vhsc tapes to dvd, they wouldn't play on the sony megabucks machine. I went to asda bought a £20 player and my home made dvd's played fine.

Yachtsman1