WnSoft Forums

How to "batch resize"?

dlesko

I'm a wedding photographer using PTE to show images to clients. After shooting with a variety of cameras and editing (which usually includes cropping many images), I end up with 300 to 500 JPEGs of a variety of sizes, some vertical and some horizontal. All of them, though, need to be reduced somehow before putting them to PTE.

I've been running a Photoshop "droplet" that creates a 0 quality JPEG of each, but elsewhere in this forum someone suggested that each image is "reconstructed for display". I know that if I open a lower quality JPEG in Photoshop, it shows up as the exact same size file as the original. Does PTE do the same thing?? If so, I'm not making my shows any easier to run on clients' slower computers.

And if this is the case, does anyone know of a simple way to truly reduce the file size? Remember... I have both vertical and horizontal files, with a variety of pixel dimensions. I can't find a way to do this as a batch or droplet in Photoshop, and I can't take the time to manually resize as many files as I have.

Dave

Hi, Dave,

If you can arrange all the verticals in one folder and all the horizontals in another, you can create two "actions" in Photoshop, one which resizes to the desired size for verticals and the other for horizontals. Then you can use the "batch" process to automatically operate on each folder, using the appropriate new "actions". (Maybe someone more conversant with Photoshop automation will have a better suggestion that will apply to both verticals and horizontals).

The other solution is to use a freeware program called IrfanView. With this program you can set both the desired maximum height, and the maximum desired width, and both verticals and horizontals can be batch-resized within these criteria, while retaining their proportionality.

Hope this helps. If not, please feel free to ask for more-detailed assistance. ;)

If I may add to the above post, by Grant Oakes

Breeze Browser's latest version now has a very nice feature.

Batch border's

Just pick the size of border (pixels) - Full border/Top only/Bottom only and choose your color.

Not affiliated with author - just a happy customer