WnSoft Forums

Icons & photoshop

stonemason

Gary

I've retried the actions (in CS2) and get a square crop on all sizes!

If you get a suggested crop that's rectangular, try accepting this and see if the resulting image is indeed a square by checking Image>image size.

Beyond this I'm at a loss to explain it further.

Actions are intended to make things easier but they can also be frustrating!

DEN (NE UK)

====================

Take a look at this Word file where I did a screen print of what I am talking about. The final result is a 32x32 but it takes the rectangle that you see and pushes it down so the image is squashed. And I uploaded the final result too.

Thanks... Gary

IconAction.doc

IconActionFinalResult.ico

You're right Gary!

The only thing I can think is that the resolution was set to 0 in the original crop menu.

I've reset this to 72ppi and it seems to crop to a square now.

Anyway give it another try - if not I give up.

regards

DEN (NE UK)

=====================

Den...

Nope... I attached a screen print. Now, the Crop highlights the entire image and then I get an error message.

Gary

IconAction2.doc

Phew I'm getting confused in my old age.

The crop set here was 64px square - not 32px as intended.

Here we go again - try this one.

Fingers crossed.

DEN (NE UK)

Icons.zip

====================

Den... Nope, again. It does the same thing and gets the same error message. The original one worked except that it created a crop area that was rectangular. Can that one be edited to create a crop area that is square?

Gary

It certainly works on my system Gary - I get a square crop that's not distorted and when saved can be read by PTE as a project icon.

The crop area can't be edited within the action - just moved around the image and sized proportionally.

You could try to re-record the action from scratch on your system - there's only two procedures to record.

The aim of an action, as I'm sure you know, is to automate long and complicated 'actions' in PS.

As this one is a very simple and basic procedure, maybe it's best to create your 32x32 icons manually using the crop tool and mode change, and saving as .ico files.

We've gone around full circle here!

DEN (NE UK)

It certainly works on my system Gary - I get a square crop that's not distorted and when saved can be read by PTE as a project icon....

We've gone around full circle here!

DEN (NE UK)

==========

DEN...

We sure have. :blink: Interesting that it works for you but not here. Well, I just tried making an action to create the icon and it worked. The only problem is I don't know yet how to make it pause at the crop so you can move it around and pause before it is saved to rename it. But, I'll work on that.

Thanks for the idea... Gary :D

Gary

If you've not yet cracked the 'pause' command in the action to allow repositioning take a look at this.

You need to check the box as shown to pause the action, to allow the necessary resizing/positioning of the crop area.

When you have 'accepted' the crop, the action will continue.

Good luck

DEN (NE UK)

post-739-1229439097_thumb.jpg