WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe v4.10 beta #10

Igor

Did you post so close to Igor's that you were describing the second admin1 reply back in time?

Bill, Igor posted while I busy indicating that I was thinking that Doug's problem was one of sorting on the file name, but now realized that what he wants is a sorting of date and time created, so as to retain the order as shown in the embedded date, time in the filename.

I have put a feature in Adjustor which will I think will do just that (i.e. strip out the date,time from the filename, sort on it, and then put the images in that order.) But, I need Doug's file to test it out before I can release it. This may be a viable alternative if Igor is not able to design in a satisfactory date,time sort.

Sorting problem:

The file I need to post is at home but here is how it happens with the image capture program I am using:

1). an image is captured every 20 seconds. The program names with the date and time in the name. It also (of course) has the date of creation in the file information.

2) I want to put the files into PTE slideshow sorted on the creation date (it does not do this correctly now as it confuses pictures taken at 0700 to those taken at 1000 ... it will put the 1000 ones first. The pictures have to be in chronological order AND maintain their file name (that has the date/time in it.) Reason for doing this is because if you run a slide show sorted in this way, the filename (with the date and time) can be shown at the top of the slide to show when it was taken - so renaming the files (to sort some way) is not a practical work around (I have over 1500 images X 10 days of time lapse.)

As I said in another post, another reason to do this is to take files from many digital cameras that have documented an event , throw them all into a big file someplace, sort on date - and then you would have a chronological slideshow if the cameras had their clocks synced. (how about an example of this being done at a riot or something - you would be able to see what happened when relative to many different images - some seconds apart and a different angle.)

So - I dont if Igor said Beta 11 will handle this - but I sure hope so because it is pretty important (to me anyway).

Thanks for all the help to all those helping!

Doug.

Doug,

I imagine the date embedded in the file name is the same as the creation date. If so, and provided the format allows, I can sort the filenames in order of this date. "0800" will end up before "1000", anyway.

If you like, when you get a chance, and if you don't get satisfaction from the new pte beta when it comes out, ship off the file to me and I'll be glad to give it a whirl. :wub:

Drat - I spoke too soon, and didn't think about what I was saying. :-) A common problem for me in the evening hours...

Igor - what I would love in a future version (assuming it's too late for this release) is the ability to sort by date picture taken (info that is stored in the EXIF data of images from cameras). Win XP allows sorting on date picture taken (it calls it "Picture Taken On" in the sort choices list).

That is more useful than the creation date, as if I happen to unload memory cards out of order the creation date and sorting by name can not put the pictures back in the correct order.

So Igor - can you read the picture taken on date from exif and sort on that?

Dana

Drat - I spoke too soon, and didn't think about what I was saying. :-) A common problem for me in the evening hours...

Igor - what I would love in a future version (assuming it's too late for this release) is the ability to sort by date picture taken (info that is stored in the EXIF data of images from cameras). Win XP allows sorting on date picture taken (it calls it "Picture Taken On" in the sort choices list).

That is more useful than the creation date, as if I happen to unload memory cards out of order the creation date and sorting by name can not put the pictures back in the correct order.

So Igor - can you read the picture taken on date from exif and sort on that?

Dana

This something for you, Dana?

(... SetNameToTime, a program designed to rename multiple digital camera jpg/tiff files using information extracted from the image files exif header ...)

It's freeware (for non-commercial use)

http://storcksoftware.com/

Wow, this is great Leif - and a very helpful tip. The screenshot shows that a sortable file name is used for rename from EXIF date info. So if we edit various photos at random times this won't change the sorting in PTE, as long as we have PTE sort by file name. I like SetNameToTime's non-cryptic photo date/time when compared to my camera software's choice.