WnSoft Forums

Chertal steelworks

Gérard de Lux

I'm happy! :rolleyes:

For the very first time I transformed one of my slideshows into video with PTE and uploaded it on Vimeo.

I have to say that I have been amazed how easy and quick the whole process took - I was almost ready for a long and difficult struggle with the machine, but it all went smoothly.

More important, I've been very impressed by the resulting quality once on Vimeo; even if it doesn't equals fully the original .exe file, the quality is really good (I have only the free account, and thus not the "better" quality they claim).

If you want to have a look, it's here.

It's one of the results of a reportage made in a steelworks, showing scenes in the life of steel from the liquid state to the final product; it lasts less than 4 minutes and I'll be happy to know what you think about my first "video" - if not my first slideshow with PTE !

Hi Gérard,

Very nice! Actually, you have HD quality even if you don't pay for Vimeo's "better" quality, it's just that you are limited to one HD file per week. So you can wait a week then upload another HD even in higher resolution free. If you upload more than one per week, they won't save in HD quality.

Very good quality and great information!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Gérard,

Very nice! Actually, you have HD quality even if you don't pay for Vimeo's "better" quality, it's just that you are limited to one HD file per week. So you can wait a week then upload another HD even in higher resolution free. If you upload more than one per week, they won't save in HD quality.

Very good quality and great information!

Best regards,

Lin

Thank you, Lin.

I understood that upgrading to "Vimeo Plus" would give a "two passes" conversion in Flash instead of a "one pass" process.

Anyway, given the ultra-limited number of "videos" that I could upload, I don't need their extra uploading possibilities or extra space - I'm already happy to have converted this slideshow so easily (can you imagine, I've never put my slideshows on DVD!) and to have seen that PTE does a good job in this field as well.

Thanks again for watching and for your comments.

Hi Gerard

A great presentation for those that may never experience being inside a steel plant.

Viewed on a 1680 x 1050 monitor full screen with exceptional quality.

You have an excellent assortment of images showing raw material to finished coil, and the choice of music gave your show great impact.

The short "Time Interval" of slides - perfect.

As a retired steel worker ( same mill as last images ) I broke out in a sweat and could hear the noise of the work place.

You have shared a show that I will be delighted to show my young grandchildren.

Job well done, appreciated !!!!

Sorry for being so slow in replying to your comments, for which I thank you all :)

Ken > I didn't do anything to protect the lens, except with a UV filter. I had been told that the main, and big, problem was the carbon dust which is present everywhere in the steelworks (in the 'furnace' part, not in the rolling-mill section) and that nothing could be done against the finest particles that infiltrates everywhere. Thus, I knew I couldn't change lenses and took two SLR bodies, one with a 17-35 mm lens, and one with a 18-200 lens.

Unfortunately, shortly after the beginning of the reportage, the tripod on which one of the cameras was mounted fell on the ground and the 17-35 mm lens was broken. Thus, almost all pictures have been done with the 18-200, which is good because the heat in some areas is such that one couldn't come too close and use a wide-angle.

Hawk > I'm very happy that this short sequence has brought back memories. Steel workers do deserve my complete admiration ! I'll send you an e-mail to give you links to my other sequences on this theme.