WnSoft Forums

New Slideshow/Tester

coopernatural

Hi All,

Have put up a slideshow on http://beechbrook.com/pte/ (thanks Bill) It's called Kirkistown Track Day.

It is nearly all pans and zooms,as I wanted to get across movement.

Following the recent posts on the trouble some were having with the jerky playback

on their equipment,this might be a candidate as a hardware test.

I had problems with it playing on low specced machines though it plays fine on my home PC.

Davy

Davy

1 st run

smooth as silk up to the the area of purple subaru and the the blonde waving yellow flag

2nd run - smooth all the way

just a thought you might consider when making a test show - enable manual contol so that viewer can make notes

xp home sp3 intel 2.8 mhz 1 gb ram - 4gb min/max paging file

how many times has that guy burned his hand on that bare set of pipes :)

ken

About 1sec after the image is at full brilliance I get a slight jump in the pan. Happens on all the images after the Honda vti, (3rd image on).

Apart from that all OK.

Win Xp Pro SP2+

CPU Intel P4 2.27 GHz 8 kilobyte primary memory cache,

512 kilobyte secondary memory cache.

2048 Megabytes Installed Memory.

Nvidia GeForce FX5700 256 VRAM

VideoMode 1280 by 960 pixels, 75 Hertz.

DirectX 9.0c

Nice show Davy with good music and depth-of-field choice with sharp cars.

Hi John,

This could turn out to be interesting.

I suppose I should put the spec of my PC here.

Win xp Pro 64bit SP2

CPU Intel 2.4 gig Core 2 Quad6600

4 gig of ram

Nvidia 8800 GTX 768 meg Vram

I just downloaded latest drivers for the Nvidia card.Might be worth checking their site.

Also see if there is a 'Sync lock' box you can tick.

Not sure if you need to download the Nvidia panel to your PC if it's not already on your machine.

Might be worth a tinker and a tweak :)

Thanks,

Davy

Guest Yachtsman1

Just checked the show on my Samsung G15 laptop

Intel dual core processor

ATI Radion 1250 Express graphics card

4gb ram

XP Pro SP3.

80% of the pans blipped at midpoint almost un-noticeable but I could see them, saying that if you did this for real I think your audience would soon be sea-sick.

Nice pictures, needs more sound effects.

Yachtsman1

Curiosity got the better of me, and I downloaded and ran your show.

The pans were absolutely smooth all the way through two runs of the show, with no sign whatsoever of skip or jerkiness - but I concur with Yachtsman that you could make your audience motion-sick! Twice through and I was feeling a touch queasy!

My computer is a Dell 1520 laptop, Intel Centrino duo-core 1.8 GHz CPU, nVidia 8600M-GT GPU with 256MB vram, a 1680 x 1050 display, and 3 GB of memory. I am of the mind that one needs something like the 8-series nVidia GPUs for good results with this amount of panning.

Photography is excellent also, I would think a dslr was used for the shots.

Colin

Guest Yachtsman1

If anyone is considering building a test slide show as the original idea, can they keep within the constraints as per the PTE manual regarding picture size & resolution, keep it to say 10 slides, and advise the file size in their post . Downloading this one kept me out of bed, 10 MB max should be easily acheivable. ;)

Yachtsman1

Eric et al

the file size is always indicated at Beechbrook and generally Bill's server will give a max d/l speed

my max is 300kb/sec -- that max speed is what the isp tech's say is all i pay for -- i sat here and watched him set it up - he tried to give me more but the guy that was monitoring my speeds said no -- people that are on cable generally get twice as much

i thought Davy's show was great but i guess one has to be a race buff to appreciate it!

ken

It's interesting to see what actually runs OK with the different PCs here.

I was thinking it may have been down to Video Card settings,or the ammount of Video ram on the card,

but I think you may well be right and it's more down to the processing

capability of the Card.

I used 2 cameras. 1 was a Pentax Clone (Samsung) dslr and the other was a Nikon D300.

Davy

I'd be interested to know the Pixel sizes of the images and their file size in Mb?

DaveG

Dave,

Pixel sizes are 2048 x 1360 and file size around .4 Mb .

I didn't deliberatly set out to make some definative test show,(I wouldn't know how)

as I had just about gave on it, as it wouldn't play well on other friends PCs.

There might be some merit in gauging what will and won't work.

For some,it may be of some use in allowing them to adjust PC/Graphics card settings to make it play better.

So many variables even for 2 similarly specced machines, a test like this dosen't prove anything except

to a degree, how each individual machine (including software and configuration) will perform in playing this file.

With enough feedback from users though, it might give an indication of what might work and what might not.What helps and what dosen't.

The slideshow has not been made to give a predetermined pass/fail test for PCs.

Just more of a workout challenge.

If anybody wants to design a more useful set of performance tools (PTE Olympics),I'd be interested.

Davy.

• 2 weeks later...

Davy / Mark,

The show plays OK on my desktop machine but consider this:

The show is "Fullscreen" and I'm viewing on a 1920x1200 monitor so the images, for the most part, are zoomed and panned beyond the limits of their 2048x1360 resolution (on my monitor).

Getting the resolution of each image down to 1400x1050, as Mark suggests would make the situation even worse in terms of image quality unless the "window" of the show is limited to 1400x1050 and no pans or zooms were applied, which was not the object of Davy's excercise.

I'm beginning to think that the image resolution means very little unless the resolution of the monitor on which the show was created is given?

Any thoughts, anyone?

DaveG

Hi,

PICK THE BONES OUT OF THIS!

Played on two laptops.

HP Pavilion

1440x900 native

GO7600 256 MB

2046 MB RAM

Intel T2500 @ 2.00 GHz

XP Home SP3

Played very smoothly.

HP Compaq

1024x768 set to.

ATI Radion 128 MB

1536 MB RAM

AMD Turion 64 1.58 Ghz

XP Pro SP3

Very jumpy on every slide.

Hope this adds something that can help us come to some sort of conclusion.

John

Davy, you are quite right. I forgot about the pan and zooms. You did tell me this - another senior moment! I have found images of 500k to work fine in fades, but as I never use anything else, I do not know how they work with pans and zooms - that clearly must use much more system resources.

Viewed on 1920x1200 on my main Pc and on 1920x1080 on my laptop the show was image and transition perfect.