WnSoft Forums

PTE 5.6 - Photoshop Elements 6.0

Flying Scotsman

Hi Everyone. Come across a problem. Found that the `escape` key intermittently not working in PTE 5.6 both with `preview` and `start preview from current slide` and I had to resort to Task Manager to stop the sequence running. I tried all the main show settings and it made no difference. Then by mistake I found that when I had Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 also running, that was causing the problem. It was also causing pan and zoom effects to become `lumpy`. I closed down Adobe and the escape key worked and the lumpiness in the pan and zoom disappeared. Tried to replicate the problem with other programs and everything worked OK.

Thought I`d let everyone know just in case anyone else has the problem. Is this a known bug? Can I sort the problem out myself, or do I live with it.

My computer has Vista operating system.

How much RAM have you got installed? Both Vista nd Photoshop Elments are notoriously "memory-hungry".

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I`ve 3Megs of Ram installed - didn`t realise Photoshop Elements was that memory-hungry. Do you think I need to upgrade to 4 meg which apparently I can do, or, being Scots and (supposedly mean) live with it and just not open the two at the same time? Laptop is a Sony with dualcore 2 centrino T5800 processor.

Best wishes.

FS

Hi Peter,

I`ve 3 gig of Ram installed - didn`t realise Photoshop Elements was that memory-hungry. Do you think I need to upgrade to 4 gig which apparently I can do, or, being Scots and (supposedly mean) live with it and just not open the two at the same time? Laptop is a Sony with dualcore 2 centrino T5800 processor.

Best wishes.

FS

With 3GB you should have enough memory. I don't think memory shortage is the problem - although it was, perhaps, the most likely reason.

Have you established a specific sequence of keyboard/mouse interactions that are guaranteed to re-create the problem? If so, have you tried activating Vista's Resource Monitor whilst you are running all the software in order to see who is using what in the way of resources? I realise that activating the Resource Monitor will exacerbate any resource shortage problem but it should give us a clearer pointer IF resource shortage is the issue - and should rule it out if it isn't.

Don't forget that background tasks such as anti-virus updates, anti-virus scans, Vista housekeeping, Windows auto-aupdates, etc. can all consume resource, sometimes surprisingly large amounts.

Also, what graphics chipset is installed in your Sony laptop? and how much dedicated memory does it have?

regards,

Peter

With 3GB you should have enough memory. I don't think memory shortage is the problem - although it was, perhaps, the most likely reason.

Have you established a specific sequence of keyboard/mouse interactions that are guaranteed to re-create the problem? If so, have you tried activating Vista's Resource Monitor whilst you are running all the software in order to see who is using what in the way of resources? I realise that activating the Resource Monitor will exacerbate any resource shortage problem but it should give us a clearer pointer IF resource shortage is the issue - and should rule it out if it isn't.

Don't forget that background tasks such as anti-virus updates, anti-virus scans, Vista housekeeping, Windows auto-aupdates, etc. can all consume resource, sometimes surprisingly large amounts.

Also, what graphics chipset is installed in your Sony laptop? and how much dedicated memory does it have?

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for the thoughts. I`d gone through all the possible combinations of mouse and everything else before I posted the problem. Without doubt, it`s the Adobe Elements that`s causing it. I`d thought of all the antivirus and housekeeping stuff but not done any further investigation - which I think I`ll do.

My graphics are Radeon HD3470 shared with dedicated memory of 1534meg.

And the really good news is; when it comes to money (brass) a Scotsman is a Yorkshireman who`s lost his sense of generosity (so they say)!

Cheers.

FS