WnSoft Forums

A PTE Organiser

fh1805

Igor,

This suggestion is a follow-on to the PTE v5.6.1 discussion thread in which the following post appears:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=62521

Why not add to PTE an "Organizer" function similar in concept to the Photoshop Elements Organizer?

If this database stored the Full Path Filename of each .pte, .ptv and .exe file together with their "Created date" and/or "Last Updated" date, it would provide you with the data you would need to provide an "auto-create" tool for launch menu sequences.

It would also provide an additional tool to help us users keep track of all the variants of sequences that we produce for many and varied reasons.

regards,

Peter

Xaver,

I'm not the perfect, totally disciplined user of PTE that I might seem to be from the advice that I give in my posts. I'm afraid that, like so many others who offer advice, it is often a case of "do as I say and not as I do".

Although I do, most of the time, keep the pte and exe files together in the unique folder for each project, there are times when I need to make a very small change to an existing project in order to demonstrate some particular effect for just one audience. In these situations my discipline breaks down and, nine times out of ten, I make the change to the pte, do a Create As into some other folder (possibly retaining the pte file name but sometimes giving the exe a totally different name) and then close the project file without saving (although sometimes I will do a File...Save As... possibly into the normal project folder but sometimes into a different folder).

The end result is that, whilst I know where all the main versions of each project are, I lose track of where the minor variants are and of what is in them.

Whilst thinking about the problems that Igor and his team will face in providing a utility to "Create" all the exe files that are driven off a launch menu, it struck me that an "Organizer" might be useful to them and could be useful to PTE users also. Hence the suggestion in this part of the forum.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

Maybe it is just an aversion on my side to organizers using data bases, e.g. I use Photoshop, but I avoid Adobe Bridge. Of course it would not be a problem for me if PTE would offer its own organizer (as long as I could leave it aside). Such an organizer probably would give rise to another discussion on usability and user friendliness of PTE. Let's see what will happen.

Regarding PTE project organization, other features would be of greater interest for me: better recovery functions, copying slides between two open windows (not just the Hawk Method), tools for reorganizing paths to objects which have been moved, possibility to work explicitly with relative paths.

Regards,

Xaver