WnSoft Forums

[Utility 4 PTE] PcReport

nobeefstu

PcReport - System Infomation Tool for Pte users and your slideshow clients.

Many PTE users ask how and where to get their pc system information. This simple tool will do it for you. PcReport retrives the info by running the DXdiag System Info on Vista Class-OS or by running MSinfo System Info on XP Class-OS.

- Easily reports basic system information of your Pc for you.

- Helps to identify users Pc Sys if capable enough to run your PicturesToExe slideshow.

- PcReport uses DXdiag System Info for Vista Class-OS compatibility.

- PcReport uses MSinfo System Info for XP Class-OS compatibility.

- PcReport uses DXdiag System Info in GUI Mode for unsupported-OS compatibility.

- PcReport has key override to open DXdiag or MSinfo programs in GUI mode.

- Easy to use. Just start the scan process. Save report(s) to a file.

- Manually save the report to a Long File or Short File text file.

- Have your own custom Message.txt to replace this default message display.

- Hit INSERT keyboard key to make your custom Message.txt

- Hit HOME keyboard key to edit your existing custom Message.txt

- Hit SPACEBAR keyboard key to open DXdiag System Info program in GUI Mode.

- Hit TAB keyboard key to open MSinfo System Info program in GUI Mode.

- Hit F1 keyboard key for About PcReport.

** Tested on XP and Vista

** Special Thanks to my Beta Testers : Ken Cox, Peter Appleton, and Ralph McDermott

-----------

User Notes:

-----------

Especially useful for your slideshow users not familar or unsure how to obtain the sys info you may require from their pc.

Distribute the program with your PTE slideshow file. Let your users or clients email you the result PcReport text file if they seem to be having issues running your PTE slideshow. The report will tell you their pc sys specs ... as their pc and/or video may not be capable enough to run your slideshow.

* Not for use on CD/DVD discs unless your copying the files to the harddrive.

* Let your users run the program or run it from your slideshow.

* Create your own Message.txt to provide customized use for distribution to clients.

* Just make sure you include the Message.txt with the PcReport.exe when distributing.

* Distribute and use as you like.

Free for All and available for download from :

beechbrook.com - PcReport

Hope you all Enjoy,

Stu

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Stu

Downloaded the programme, thank you. Tried it and got a report for my Laptop. The system seems similar to a diagnostic check the seller ran when I bought extra Ram. Q can I now make an assessment how far I can go with PTE, will there be a follow up set of recomendations/criterea.

Yachtsman1

Stu,

A nice little helper. A minor flaw: Users with a German OS do not see the letter "ß" (special kind of double "s"). Also words containing an umlaut (ä, ö, ü) are misspelled. Question: What will French users see?

Regards,

Xaver

Stu,

Thank you for this tool.

As Xaver already noticed, there is a minor problem with french special characters but nothing that prevents to understand.

For your information, it displays :

instead of è.

Š instead of é.

instead of E with "accent aigu"

Hi Yachtsman1,

The system seems similar to a diagnostic check the seller ran when I bought extra Ram.

Windows installs its own resident DXdiag and Msinfo system information program tools ... all I do is access the window tools for the user and save the information in a text format for them. All users can get the same pc information by running the same windows tools in GUI mode and save the information themselves. PcReport is intended to make it easy for the user by simplifying the process.

Q can I now make an assessment how far I can go with PTE, will there be a follow up set of recomendations/criterea.

Sorry to say ... but PcReport is not going into the assessment business of qualifying Pte slideshows for a particulcar users pc system. Their is no magic set of specs that will guarantee trouble-free performance on any users pc.

The magic to get a Pte slideshow to play trouble-free on a individuals/clients pc ... lies within the magic fingers of the slideshow creator. Only the slideshow creator knows all the mechanics and ingredients of their produced product. By this I mean ... what Pte version it is built with, what resolution and kb size of the slide images, what type transistions used, what pzr effects are used, and the timming demmand, just to mention a few. The slideshow creator needs to adjust their slideshow ingredients to suit the different flavors of a Pc.

The slideshow creator really needs to build a collective database of their respective clients and users Pc system. ... and then thru trial and tweaking build a slideshow that meets the basic pc system capabilities that will guarantee trouble-free performance. After you have built a pc database of what works and what doesnot work on particular system builds ... one should quickly be able to produce trouble-free performance slideshows to meet a clients pc capability.

Think of the slideshow creator as a race car builder ... and the race track as the client or user. Its the creator's responsibility to properly tune the engine, set the gears, and mount the correct tires to best match the demmands of a particular users racetrack. :rolleyes:

Xaver and Dom,

Thanks for the feedback ... Im a bit disappointed to hear of the special character text issues when for our non- english users. It must be something in the conversion process of unicode to ansi causing the text translation errors. MSinfo generates in unicode and I have to convert to ansi for report processing.

Im not currently aware of any additional filtering or switches that may resolve this issue ... I will look into it.

Thanks Guys ;)