WnSoft Forums

WINDOWS REMINDERS

Mike Reed

Hi

I use XP pro on my lap top. Is there any way to remove the annoying little windows that come up from time to time telling you that this that or the other needs attention. It happened three times during a show last night following a windows update of some sort. kept telling me to reboot the computer. Not very professional when that happens. In the end it gave up and did the restart anyway completely ruining a sequence that was three quarters of the way through.

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi

I use XP pro on my lap top. Is there any way to remove the annoying little windows that come up from time to time telling you that this that or the other needs attention. It happened three times during a show last night following a windows update of some sort. kept telling me to reboot the computer. Not very professional when that happens. In the end it gave up and did the restart anyway completely ruining a sequence that was three quarters of the way through.

Hi Mike

Go to control panel, automatic up-dates, tick the Turn off auto updates, click apply and you should be OK.

Yachtsman1

Hi Mike,

On days when I have a show to give I always power-up the laptop as soon as I get up and leave it on all day so that it can download whatever it wants to. I check it every hour or two to see if it wants any intervention by me.

I also ensure that, when I get to the venue and get set up, I switch off the wireless link. On one occasion when giving a show to an audience, my laptop found an unprotected wireless network, connected to it, downloaded both Windows updates and Norton updates, applied them all and did the auto re-boot to finish the install. Thankfully all that activity took place between me getting everything set up and the start of the evening's entertainment. I always aim to give myself a clear 15 minutes between being set-up and the start of the evening's programme - that is my "contingency" allowance.

regards,

Peter

Mike,

Before leaving home I always disable wireless networking for two reasons:

Some public wireless networks have been compromised, you don't want to connect to those! e.g. DNS cache poisoning

In the UK if you do connect to an unknown network in theory you could end up having your collar felt i.e. being questioned by the police.

When I give a public show I always disable auto updates and close down all the odds and sods that run e.g. Toshiba stuff.

Regards,

Dave

Is there any way to remove the annoying little windows that come up from time to time telling you that this that or the other needs attention.

Hi Mike,

You can kill a couple of birds with one stone.

Increase security, increase laptop performance,and tell xp what you want it to do,and what you don't want it to do.

It's your computer,not Microsoft's!

Have a look here.... http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecess...s_on_windows_xp

There's a small video demo and written instructions for services you can turn off,that you might find useful.

You can disable antivirus and other background flagwaving programes for the show duration.(Another system performance boost in itself,

especially if you are running Norton).

Good luck with the next show.

Davy

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Mike,

You can kill a couple of birds with one stone.

Increase security, increase laptop performance,and tell xp what you want it to do,and what you don't want it to do.

It's your computer,not Microsoft's!

Have a look here.... http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecess...s_on_windows_xp

There's a small video demo and written instructions for services you can turn off,that you might find useful.

You can disable antivirus and other background flagwaving programes for the show duration.(Another system performance boost in itself,

especially if you are running Norton).

Good luck with the next show.

Davy

Thanks Davy. Having listened to the video he scared the living daylights out of me so I think I will leave well alone.