WnSoft Forums

transitions stutter on laptop w/Vista32

pyromomma

EXE show with music.

Runs great on desktop. Runs well on laptop. But when I show it on the laptop connected to the projector the special effect of pictures sliding into view, expanding on screen, etc. will stutter and slow. Timing of slides is still fine, and syncs with the music, but in the slides that have an image come in from the side, etc, the image entering the screen will be jerky instead of smooth.

The problem obviously does not lie in the EXE file, but in the laptop/projector combination.

What settings should I change? I am new to Vista (being an XP fan), so the HP laptop defaults are in place. Everything else runs smoothly with the machine.

Vista32

Processor- Intel Core duo T5250 1.5 GHz

Thank you for helping, I am sure that it is just a setting issue.

Lorie

Hi Lorie,

Many projectors simply can't handle animations smoothly. If you could let us know the model and manufacturer of the projector, perhaps one of our forum members who has had experience with the particular one might be able to comment.

The problem appears to be that many of today's projectors have difficulty with the fast frame rates which are generated by PTE to make smooth pans, zooms and rotates. Some of the newer projectors have corrected the deficiencies and work well with PTE's hardware rendered output, but a number of earlier designs just can't deal with this and there is no known solution.

Please post the exact make and model of the projector you are using and one of us will try to diagnose the problem with you.

Best regards,

Lin

Okay, it did not occur to me that it might be the projector. That makes sense. It is one from my husband's office, and I will see what model it is.

If I can find out the make and model is there a fix? Or I just have to use a different projector?

Hi Lorie,

Many projectors simply can't handle animations smoothly.

Hi Lorie,

In addition to what Lin said you might try changing your screen function so it only displays to the projector, instead of both the laptop and projector. If I remember correctly PTE can only use hardware acceleration on a single display device, so it might just be accelerating your laptop display.

Tom

How would I change that function on the laptop? I am pretty new to this. But I am pretty good at following directions.

My apologies, Dave, I missed your reply and responded to Tom and Lin.

I will try that fix of only running one monitor/projector when running the PTE. That should take care of that part at least.

Ref. resolution of the screens, the laptop (widescreen 1024 × 768 ) adjusts the projector screen automatically -- I am pretty sure that it is 800x600.

Does your laptop resolution equal your projector resolution?

Try running the projector with the laptop monitor OFF - it might not cure it but it might make things a little smoother.

It will be Fn and Fxx key.

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1

You will also need to give us your laptop details, Vista consumes much more Ram than XP, 5.6 has been found to need more memory resource also. If your laptop has only 1GB of ram you will have problems with animation and transitions.

Type in stuttering into PTE's search facility, there has been a lot said on the subject.

My laptop has 2GB of Ram, but when I moved up to 5.6 I started experiencing the problems you describe, If you check out my previous post "A bridge Too Far".

Switching off my laptop screen when using a projector lessened the problem. You need to check your laptop manual if you don't know how to switch off the screen, different manufacturers use different key strokes.

In my case you need the projector connected, holding down the FN key then pressing the F4 key brings on a different screen option per key press, my setting is CRT which means cathode ray tube, = TV or projector only. if you manage to switch off your laptop screen, make sure you re-activate it before disconnecting the projector or you will be unable to see what is happening when the projector shuts down.

Yachtsman1

In addition to the advice above, you might want to take a look at a thread from a few months ago re projectors.

click here

However be warned it is a LONG thread - you may need several cups of coffee to get through it (or a bottle of scotch ;) )

The bottomline of the thread was that check to see if your projector has a FRAME LOCK setting (or something like that)

IN the thread we discuss two projectors:

A Canon Sx50 - turns out it did not have a FRAME LOCK Setting

A Panasonic PT-LB10U - turned out it did have a FRAME LOCK setting

Both projectors exhibited different symptoms of problems with some O&A's (mainly pans) The Panasonic exhibited serious stuttering. The FRAME LOCK solved it.

Might not be so "simple" for you.....

IN the thread we discuss two projectors:

A Canon Sx50 - turns out it did not have a FRAME LOCK Setting

A Panasonic PT-LB10U - turned out it did have a FRAME LOCK setting

Both projectors exhibited different symptoms of problems with some O&A's (mainly pans) The Panasonic exhibited serious stuttering. The FRAME LOCK solved it.

Just a quick clarification:

The two projector models mentioned above were the initial (and main) subject of discussion, but other projector models were mentioned in the thread as well