WnSoft Forums

File List - Date Time Picture Taken

May I request please that we be given an option to display, in the File List, the date/time the picture was taken, rather than the last modification date/time of the picture file? That would be much more useful in sorting out images, especially in travel shows.

Ken T (aplman)

Hi Ken,

I get confused easily these days, so could you elaborate a little?

Originally, you wanted to be able to display the original date time as a comment? This I can understand.

However, for the file list there are other ways. If you want chronological listing then the alpha numerical numbering of images does what you want quite well.

If you have images from more than one camera then it is quick and simple to rename files in a batch operation so that the time taken is foremost in the name.

I am told that even Lightbox and Imagestore are capable of doing this these days.:)/>

I am not being dismissive of your request - I am trying to understand it better.

DG

Hi Ken,

I get confused easily these days, so could you elaborate a little?

Originally, you wanted to be able to display the original date time as a comment? This I can understand.

However, for the file list there are other ways. If you want chronological listing then the alpha numerical numbering of images does what you want quite well.

If you have images from more than one camera then it is quick and simple to rename files in a batch operation so that the time taken is foremost in the name.

I am told that even Lightbox and Imagestore are capable of doing this these days.:)/>/>

I am not being dismissive of your request - I am trying to understand it better.

DG

Hi Dave! Thank you for your response to my post.

I should have made it clear that I was asking for the date and time as recorded in the image file's Exif information. I believe it usually goes by the name of DateTimeOriginal. That is much more useful than the file's timestamp, which reflects the last operation on the file.

I appreciate your hints on other ways, but having to rename files is often not desirable.

Best Wishes ...

Ken T (aplman)

• 4 months later...

What would really help is if the headers of the File list view could be organised the way it is done in Windows, i.e. you right click a header and can then add more columns or search criteria which you select from a drop down menu.

It is OK if PTE does not provide the full Windows list but these are the common ones I use and others could add to that:

Name

Type

Date Modified

Date Taken

Length (useful for music)

Size

Dimensions

Implement in 8.0

Roel

Hi Roel,

While waiting you can do almost the same thing by sorting the files (after adding your desired metadata columns) in Windows Explorer (outside of PTE), selecting the files you wish to use, and then clicking and dragging the files into the PTE slide timeline. They should stay in the same order you used for sorting.

http://www.picturest...post__p__114475

Tom