WnSoft Forums

Templates or Create in Zip

There are two option available in PTE that allow you to create either a 'Template' or a 'Back up in Zip' and I have never really been sure of the difference between the two. Perhaps somebody could clarify the differences and the suggest the best option to use please.

Another point that confuses me is the fact that, when using the 'Template' option, the default folder is always created on the users 'C' drive yet I notice that this can be changed to a drive of the users own preference - what is the point of this?

Ron West

Ron,

I have used the Template feature to save an empty project but with all the Project Options set to my preferred values. This template (called, unimaginatively, My Template) is set as my default template to be used for all new projects.

I use Create Backup in Zip whenever I want to upload either a test project that highlights a bug (for Igor and team) or a test project that explains to a forum member exactly how to use some particular feature.

Each AV sequence has its own, unique folder and I never delete any of these folders. My internal hard-drives are backed-up to external hard-drives automatically to a schedule using Norton Ghost.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I normally proceed in a similar way as you do. Inside the folder for a particular sequence, I place a subfolder with copies of the chosen images at full size. There will be at least one identically looking other folder containing the images at reduced size, and the growing versions of PTE-project-files.

Regards,

Xaver

Templates - every time (and regularly) for backing up finished projects.

Re your other question - your C drive is for programmes - not data.

DaveG

Hi DaveG

I agree with you that the C drive should only be used for programs and not for data, but not everyone has more than one drive and so have to use the C drive.

Peter,

Yes I like the method of creating a folder for each AV project (with sub-folders of course).

Hi Ron,

A possible way around that is to partition the one disc that you do have.

This allows for programmes and data to be kept separated - by performing regular defragging with smart placement on the "c" partition the computer then works to its highest efficiency.

Just my opinion.

DaveG

Dave G,

I am in total agreement with you about partitioning a large 'C' drive to keep programs separated from data.

Can I please bring this thread back to the original question, i.e. "Perhaps somebody could clarify the differences and the suggest the best option to use please".

I am still unclear what the differences are between 'Backup in Zip' and 'Templates'.

Ron

You did ask:

"Another point that confuses me is the fact that, when using the 'Template' option, the default folder is always created on the users 'C' drive yet I notice that this can be changed to a drive of the users own preference - what is the point of this?"

Just guessing here - TEMPLATES are useful for storage on your own system - Backup In Zip is handy if you want to e-mail?

DaveG

I always leave Templates folder where it is (with PTE program in C Drive) but always copy this folder and keep backing it up, onto an external hard drive so also have backups of all my Templates in another location. Usually create my AVs on my main frame computer and also like to have a third Template folder on my laptop so I can if necessary quickly open one if I'm doing a demo and something crops up.

Always create a zip copy of each project, so when someone asks for a copy, I can either upload to a web site ( another safe source of storage - if your house catches fire :( ) for their speedier download or if it is small enough e-mail to them.

I always start each project using the project name folder, which then contains three sub folders for all sound files, images (including another sub folder for original images, PDFs or any unwanted images I don't use) and a Docs folder for notes, scripts, PTE files, Exe files, zip files and anything else.

I like belts, braces and buckles :rolleyes: - you never know when something will let you down - and many templates and the project folders are also saved periodically to DVDs!

Hope this helps Ron.

Best Wishes

Maureen

Hi Ronnie,

Correct me if I'm wrong ~ do you want to know the 'factual' difference between a Template ~V~ Zip backup ??

Pte Template

Pte can make a 'template' of a Show whilst in its early stages of production or it can make a 'template' of a finished Show.

The 'template' is presented as a Folder whose title is that of the 'work in progress' or as that of the 'finished Show'

This Template-Folder contains copies of all Images & Sounds and other content at the instant of making the Template.

Consequently its a 'Snapshot-Recorder' of work to date which may be over-written time and time again until completion.

Within each Template Folder there is a Dat.File simply called (.pte) which contains instructions to recompile the Folder contents

back into a viable 'work in progress' or recompile the contents back into a 'Preview-Show' provided you have the PTE Program.

The Template Folder DOES NOT contain the Pte.Slideshow Exe Files so one would need the Pte.Program to make that Exe.

(Consider the Template Folder as a complete 'Kit of Model Parts' awaiting the glue and creator to put it together)

Zip for Web

In this case one simply has a complete Slideshow-Exe which is 'zipped-up' and sent onwards to some recepient. The 'zip-process'

simply compresses the Exe-File by a given amount from Zero to 30%. This compression reduces the File size so it takes less time

to transmit over the Web and also preserves the integrity of the Folder by keeping it confined within one package.

Zip Backup

In these circumstances by all means 'zip-up' the Exe.File or indeed 'zip-up' the Template Folder complete with enclosed Exe.File

but DO NOT USE zip compression ~ set this to zero-compression if you want to preserve the utmost quality with the zip-package.

Wisdom has taught us to 'burn' all our important Data-Files to CD-Disc as Hard-Copy for Library purposes and never ever depend on

Hard-Drives for permanent storage ~ Hard-Drives are mechanical devices and they will eventually fail...

Hope this helps...

Brian (Conflow)

Brian,

Your explanation is exactly what I wanted and I thank you for detailing it so well.

Maureen,

Your method is certainly commendable - 'Belt and Braces' is an apt description.

Ron

Zip Backup

In these circumstances by all means 'zip-up' the Exe.File or indeed 'zip-up' the Template Folder complete with enclosed Exe.File

but DO NOT USE zip compression ~ set this to zero-compression if you want to preserve the utmost quality with the zip-package.

Let me point out that this definition is not compatible with the function "Create Backup in Zip" from the File menu of PTE v5.x.

Regards,

Xaver

Correct, you beat me to it Xaver.

DO NOT USE zip compression ~ set this to zero-compression if you want to preserve the utmost quality with the zip-package.

Dose anyone know if there is any compression used in the "Create Backup in Zip" function? :unsure:

Just ran a test of "Create Backup in Zip" using PTE v5.60 and it appears there is some compression of the files in the resulting ZIP file. :o

In light of Brian's comments is this desirable?

Just ran a test of "Create Backup in Zip" using PTE v5.60 and it appears there is some compression of the files in the resulting ZIP file. :o

In light of Brian's comments is this desirable?

In my opinion, zip-compression is lossless. Why should it be not desirable?

Just another point, beside compression: What Brian suggests may be considered as helpful, but his "Zip Backup" and PTE's "Create Backup in Zip" are different affairs. The PTE function exports a PTE project including copies of the data needed for this project, but does not deal with exe-files or templates.

Regards,

Xaver

Brian et al,

I am surprised by Brian's inference that zipped PTE files can lose quality!

Like Xaver, I understand that zip compression is lossless, that is, the recovered (unzipped) files are identical to the original. If this were not so, then the almost universal practice of delivering downloadable executable programs as zips would render those programs inoperable.

Colin

Xaver, John and Colin,

Hey Guys, where is all this Zip-response relative to Pte 5.6 coming from ????

Ronnie never mentioned Pte 5.6 nor did I. My response to Ronnie was

to show the relative differences between a Pte-Template -V- Zipped Files

which others had failed to do previous to my Posting and which Ronnie had

specifically asked for such an explaination.

Should you wish to start a new Topic relative to 'Pte-Backup in Zip' thats solely

your affair, but I would like to point out that there are some 20 Zip-Programs

available to PC users ~ some good, some bad and some definitely interfer with

the quality of Images after Un-Zipping generally due to too much compression.

The 'attachment' below gives some idea what I'm talking about and for further

data Google up on Zip-Program Reviews.

Best regards,

Brian (Conflow).

post-1416-1244597318_thumb.png

Quote:

There are two option available in PTE that allow you to create either a 'Template' or a 'Back up in Zip' and I have never really been sure of the difference between the two. Perhaps somebody could clarify the differences and the suggest the best option to use please.

I took this to mean that Ron was asking specifically about the differences between the two options available in PTE 5.xxx

????

DaveG

...DO NOT USE zip compression...
...I am surprised by Brian's inference that zipped PTE files can lose quality!...

You're not the only one, Colin!

The purpose of the various "Zip" utilities is to:

- take a bunch of files

- process them through an algorithm and make them smaller

- at a later date, take those smaller files and reconstitute them to exactly the same bit sequence that they had prior to being zipped.

If, as Brian suggests, some of these routines/utilities are not doing that, then they are corrupting the data in the files and are not fit for purpose.

JPEG compression of image files and MPEG compression of audio files can result in a lessening of quality - but "ZIP compression - Zip uncompression" sequences should never result in any degradation because, in this context, degradation = corruption of data.

regards,

Peter

Slow down fella's! Let us not let this thread get out of hand.

When I asked my original question, I did not intend to start a discussion on the merits (or otherwise) of a 'ZIP' file - that matter is for another thread.

DaveGee is quite right when he repeated my original question, i.e. "There are two option available in PTE that allow you to create either a 'Template' or a 'Back up in Zip' and I have never really been sure of the difference between the two. Perhaps somebody could clarify the differences and the suggest the best option to use please".

Brian Conflow always offers constructive answers to questions and his reference to zipped files being compressed and losing quality, should be taken seriously. However, as I said above, start another thread if this subject is of interest to you.

Ron

When creating a sequence I would normally make a unique folder and place correctly sized copies of any images to be used together with any audio files in that folder together with the .pte file. These folders are saved to a separate HDD and backed up on an External HDD.

I have never understood what advantage there may be in creating and using Templates as all it seems to do is to create a template folder containing a duplicate set of images and the music plus a .pte file.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what advantage Templates have over my method of working? I may be missing something here.

For those who have picked images and/or music from a variety of folders /locations it gathers all of the constituent files together in one folder, its location specified by you.

In your case it would eliminate any files in your folder which you have not used in your project.

DaveG

from my faq file

just refreshing peoples memory

this topic was well covered starting

Dec 14 2004, 11:40 PM

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...;f=2&t=2687

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...;f=2&t=3314

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...;f=2&t=3537

i have several more links if you need them :)

happy trails

ken

ken

Peter and Colin,

Yes it does come as an unexpected surprise to most PC users where 'zipping' a File with over-compression can lead

to unexpected and unexplained corruptions to that File. There are also other ways where Zip-Files become corrupted

due mostly to Server errors and poor Unzipping Programs. As far as 'hi-grade' JPegs are concerned if you notice small

'colour-casts' or slight 'vignetting' or 'chroma-errors' in comparitive testing of Original-V-Zipped Files most likely that File

has become corrupted due to over-compression ~ If there is loss of data its usually Server error or File 'too large'.

If you are Zipping for archival purposes ~ golden rule ~ never compress the Archive File, just Zip-it.

In 2009 the Zip-File size limit is just on 2.0 Gigbyte running on XP or Vista provided you have a good Zip-Program such

as 'Win-Zip' (nothing to do with Microsoft) and of course provided you have the Memory to process that File size.

For 'Hi-quality Images' up to 10% compression is the accepted norm ~however~ Win-Zip Corporation recently released

Win-Zip 12 which can go all the way to 25% compression, this is a landmark breakthrough in the Compression Industry.

Zip-Files are used extensively in Archictecture & Engineering circles where Image sizes are often larger than 36"x24" and

must be scaleable up or down to within 1/100th of an inch. You can imagine the size of those Files !! and most are in Colour.

Link: http://www.winzip.com/whatsnew120.htm

See attachment which also explains...

Brian (Conflow)

post-1416-1244673455_thumb.png