WnSoft Forums

Grand Canyon Slidshow

dpeterso

Hello All –

It’s been a while since I last posted a show. This show is about a trip to the Grand Canyon that I took in May with 9 members of my family. It seems rather inauspicious to add qualifiers and footnotes before the show even begins, but in this case I feel I must at least explain. The intent of the show was never aimed at the general public. It was designed to be a personal account of an adventure I had with my brothers and their families. Nevertheless, I felt that at least some of you would enjoy it, as I know there are a few of you that really enjoy getting “out there”.

It’s 63Mb and runs about 22 minutes. I’ve given the viewer keyboard control. So if you get tired of my narrative at the beginning, just hit the right arrow key to begin the show. And I’m sure you all know what the ESC key does.

Hope you enjoy the trip. Comments and critique are welcome.

Dave

http://www.epetersons.com/slideshows/The%2...nd%20Canyon.zip

Congratulations Dave! First for making the hike, and second for the enjoyable AV.

Dave

great shots - your team should take Lumenix for a challenge smile.gif

I thought Lumenix was a camera, but if Ken is referring to me - let me be clear - it is challenge enough just making the journeys at our age! But it does look like you all got along just dandy. And you successfully caught some emotion/exhaustion on the hikers faces.

I like the format you used for your show. I think you did an exceptionally natural vocal narrative intro. (Especially by an American, as we seem to be less prone to do the voice interjections.) At first glance I wondered about the pin-stripe border. Soon I was absorbed enough that it was a non factor whether it was there or not. Then I found it worked nicely as it allowed your occasional written descriptions in the space. One item that was not clear to me was the white ammo boxes. Where did they come from?

My favorite photo was your opening scene of the canyon. Wonderful shot.

The overall view from the stands was enjoyable. I was really with you - until you showed the thermometer! 120 ?! I may have done enough desert for this year. But it is sure hard to deny the sensory sensations of such a trip. Thanks for sharing your experience. Well done.

Congratulations Dave! First for making the hike, and second for the enjoyable AV.

The overall view from the stands was enjoyable. I was really with you - until you showed the thermometer! 120 ?! I may have done enough desert for this year. But it is sure hard to deny the sensory sensations of such a trip. Thanks for sharing your experience. Well done.

Thanks for your comments Robert. I thought the same thing about Ken’s good-natured comment about challenges. It was challenge enough just climbing back out of the canyon. The ammo cans – you’ve seen bear boxes I’m sure. Well, the ammo cans were squirrel boxes. They are a real menace to hikers. During a moment of inattention, one chewed a hole in my backpack and feasted on some trail mix. Ugh!

Glad you like the trip.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Enjoyed your slideshow. I made almost the same trip last November, but I did it in 4 days with a 45-pound pack. We went down the South Kaibab, spent two nights at Bright Angel with a day hike up the Clear Creek Trail, then hiked up to Indian Gardens (with a sunset hike to Plateau Point) and then out on the last day. I could certainly appreciate the "sore feet" photos (and even the black-and-blue toenails in the one). Going down was the hardest part, I think. I really appreciated the little minnie bottles shots as well. We just went to the Phantom Ranch Canteen to do our imbibing. Fortunately, we had much cooler weather for our trip. In fact, it went down to 17 at the top on the night we were at Indian Gardens and we all slept with every piece of clothing we had with us.

In any case, be proud of your accomplishment. I know what it took to do the trip and I applaud you all. I know it's not that big a deal to young folks, but at our age, it does take some effort. Thanks for sharing the journey. One of these days I will get around to putting my photos of the hike into a show.

Hi Dave,

In any case, be proud of your accomplishment. I know what it took to do the trip and I applaud you all. I know it's not that big a deal to young folks, but at our age, it does take some effort. Thanks for sharing the journey. One of these days I will get around to putting my photos of the hike into a show.

Thank you for responding to the show Mary. It seems surreal -- our boot-steps have crossed, and yet, I only know of you through the PTE forum. Your 45# pack sounds exhausting. I weighed in at 30 pounds including 7 pounds of camera gear. I wanted to carry another lens, but was scared of the weight. As I reflect on the hike, half of the game is mental; the other half is stamina. I didn’t get the mental part right and consequently, my stamina dwindled.

Regarding the little bottles of Jack Daniels, I bought one for each of us 3-months before the hike, planning all along to have a ceremonial toast at the campground, and get a great picture, one that would be representative of our bonding and accomplishment. Well, when I handed them out, the seals were popped and they were sipping before I could even get my camera ready. I ended up missing the picture of the group toast that I had envisioned. Oh well, there will be other chances, I hope. The older I get though, the more cautious I am about wagering on my tomorrows. :)

Please let us know when you get a slideshow ready of your trip. I’m really interested in enjoying your experience. I’ll be able to relate, that’s for sure. And maybe someday our boot-steps will cross again, who knows.

Thanks again for your comments. Happy hiking.

Dave

Dave; this is a great show, I liked the photos of the boots and imprints of the boots, and of course the landscapes. I have been to the GC a number of times, over many years, and every time it seems to get more and more haze. Last time I was there I was told that the haze is smog that comes from LA! As a mere tourist, from Ireland, I have only had time to walk down (and up) a mile or so on the day we arrive and the same again on the next day - when we have to leave. I would love to take the journey you and your friends have taken. It clearly illustrates what a tourist misses ;-)

I would love to take the journey you and your friends have taken. It clearly illustrates what a tourist misses ;-)

Ok, here's the deal, Mark. My daughter and husband made the journey last fall. They are going again this fall in the opposite direction. Get yourself over here and I will go with you and them. I can be serious on this if there is any chance you could do it. In fact, Dave might come back, and maybe we could have a whole crew of PTE photogs. Maybe we can get Igor to come and we will all make a PTE promo piece!

Ok, here's the deal, Mark. My daughter and husband made the journey last fall. They are going again this fall in the opposite direction. Get yourself over here and I will go with you and them. I can be serious on this if there is any chance you could do it. In fact, Dave might come back, and maybe we could have a whole crew of PTE photogs. Maybe we can get Igor to come and we will all make a PTE promo piece!

I live about 2 hours from the Canyon, so I might be interested as well if this ever materializes. When I did it last November, I actually booked a tour because I didn't want to go alone. The tour company was located in Flagstaff and supplied a medically trained guide, all the meals, the backpacks, sleeping bags, tents and took care of the reservations. The guide even prepared all our meals for us! They also handled all the reservations and permits. I just had to show up. It was about $900 and although they have several designated hikes, they will also do customized trips for groups.

Dave; this is a great show, I liked the photos of the boots and imprints of the boots, and of course the landscapes. I have been to the GC a number of times, over many years, and every time it seems to get more and more haze. Last time I was there I was told that the haze is smog that comes from LA! As a mere tourist, from Ireland, I have only had time to walk down (and up) a mile or so on the day we arrive and the same again on the next day - when we have to leave. I would love to take the journey you and your friends have taken. It clearly illustrates what a tourist misses ;-)

Mark,

I'm sorry for the belated response. Trixie (my dog) and I have been on the road again collecting memories that won't be fully redeemed until later in life, when I can't get out of the recliner. Thank you for your comments. Feedback in helpful and appreciated.

Dave