WnSoft Forums

Copy/Paste a large amount of text into a Text block...

goddi

Greetings,

I hope there is a way to do this but I can't seem to come up with a good method.

I have a lot of text in a Word file that I want to copy/paste into a Text block. When I do this, it becomes one long line in the Text block. It is just about impossible to find the 'handles' of the Text block to resize it.

Is there a way to copy/paste a large amount of text from a Word file and be able to find the 'handles' so I can resize it while in the PTE's Text block, so it will word-wrap as I decrease the width of the Text block, as it does in Word when you decrease the margins? Yes, I could re-type it but it is just too much text to deal with. I tried reducing the margins in Word before I copied/pasted it but it still comes out as one long line. Is there a solution???

Thanks... Gary

Guest Yachtsman1
Greetings,

I hope there is a way to do this but I can't seem to come up with a good method.

I have a lot of text in a Word file that I want to copy/paste into a Text block. When I do this, it becomes one long line in the Text block. It is just about impossible to find the 'handles' of the Text block to resize it.

Is there a way to copy/paste a large amount of text from a Word file and be able to find the 'handles' so I can resize it while in the PTE's Text block, so it will word-wrap as I decrease the width of the Text block, as it does in Word when you decrease the margins? Yes, I could re-type it but it is just too much text to deal with. I tried reducing the margins in Word before I copied/pasted it but it still comes out as one long line. Is there a solution???

Thanks... Gary

Click the Icon to the right of the text box which opens a text page, paste your text, edit as you wish, & Bob's your uncle.

Yachtsman1

Click the Icon to the right of the text box which opens a text page, paste your text, edit as you wish, & Bob's your uncle.

Yachtsman1

=============

Not sure what you are referring to. I know how to put text in O&A but I don't follow what you are saying about "an Icon to the right of the text box...". Can you help me out a bit more????

Thanks... Gary

PS Who's Bob??? :blink:

Hi Gary,

To be honest, I don't understand Yachtsman1 suggestion. I don't see an "Icon to the right of the text box" :huh:

And I don't know who's Bob either. :lol:

Anyway, here is what you could try : edit your text in Word and insert a carriage return (hit ENTER) at the end of each line.

Word does it automatically when the "margin on the right is too short" but PTE doesn't. That's why you have to do it manually to avoid the single long line you get in PTE.

Once done, copy this text in the PTE text box.

If needed, instead of using the handles, directly type the figures in the zoom fields.

Hope it helps.

Guest Yachtsman1

Sorry for the confusion, however, what Limey has explained is what I suggested, maybe what you need is different to my suggestion. Please expand your problem. BTW Bob's your Uncle is an English expression suggesting a simple solution. The full saying is "Bob's Your Uncle & Fanny's your Aunt", you probably need to wikipedia that for a full explanation.

Regards Yachtsman1.

Gary

See the attached screen-print. (A picture is worth a thousand words).

Add you text from the main screen as a comment with copy from Word and paste into text template, edit, click OK, then go to O&A and you will find the text on the image has been inserted as an object that can be manipulated as you normally do in the O&A screen.

Well my "2 Bobs worth" anyway. :lol::lol::lol:

post-3194-1246314992_thumb.jpg

Guest Yachtsman1

Just checked wikipedia, they say Bob's your Uncle = Thought to derive from the appointment of Arthur Balfour as Secretary for Ireland, in 1887, by his uncle, the prime minister, Robert, Lord Salisbury. This theory of origin is questionable as the first use in print is not until 1937. A more probable theory is that it comes from the slang phrase all is bob, meaning that everything is safe, pleasant or satisfactory. This dates back to the 17th century or so. The expression may also be a reference to Sir Robert Peel, the founder of England's Metropolitan Police, meaning one is taken care of, and that things are thus all right.

I suppose that clarifies it????? ;)

Yachtsman1

Gary

See the attached screen-print. (A picture is worth a thousand words).

Add you text from the main screen as a comment with copy from Word and paste into text template, edit, click OK, then go to O&A and you will find the text on the image has been inserted as an object that can be manipulated as you normally do in the O&A screen.

Well my "2 Bobs worth" anyway. :lol::lol::lol:

=====================

Greetings...

Thanks all for the help. But, doing it you as you indicated results in the same problem as just doing a copy/paste into a Text block in O&A. You still get a long line of text. Adding Returns is not the way I wish it would work. The other problem is that using the Comment window with added text puts the text in with any Comment Template that might have been put in, like Slide Number, etc.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Text block had 'margins' that would allow us to make the adjustments (as in Word). The problem is if you need to adjust the width of the entire text block, you have to go line by line to redo each line to fit by re-doing the Returns. I guess I have to accept that it does not have this 'wordprocessing' capability. But I did learn about 'Uncle Bob'!!!!!!!!! :)

Thanks.... Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

The amount of text you see on the screen depends on the font size. When I am preparing a credits slide with lots of text I first do a line test, at the font size & style I want, set my tabs in the word document, type out the text, copy it then paste it into my PTE text box, works every time. Could it be that your Word is not set to "WRAP" text???

Yachtsman1.

Adding text either via the main comment box/template or via the O&A (with font/colour/size/line spacing adjustments) is what we have available to us at present and works in most cases. I agree that to keep amending the carriage returns is cumbersome but I guess that the usual amount of text used on a slide is generally not that great. You seem to have the exception Gary.

This is what we are subjected to in Photoshop also so maybe I'm used to manually manipulating the text lines, but it would be good to have a word wrap capability, also justified text (at the moment we are offered left/centre/right alignment only).

Maybe someone is watching?

Hi Gary,

It seems to me that your primary problem is that there are no "Carriage Returns" at the end of each line in your Word document. If you save the Word file as a ".txt" file, would that keep your line arrangements AND add CRs at the end of each line? If so, this is what you should then "Copy and Paste", isn't it rather than the text from the Word document? If you lose font, size, colour info during this process, you should be able to add it back again via PTE.

That's my theory. Does it work in practice?

regards,

Peter

Hi Gary,

It seems to me that your primary problem is that there are no "Carriage Returns" at the end of each line in your Word document. If you save the Word file as a ".txt" file, would that keep your line arrangements AND add CRs at the end of each line? If so, this is what you should then "Copy and Paste", isn't it rather than the text from the Word document? If you lose font, size, colour info during this process, you should be able to add it back again via PTE.

That's my theory. Does it work in practice?

regards,

Peter

=====================

Peter,

From my tests, whether you are using a .doc or a .txt file, you have to put in CRs before you copy/paste them into a Text block in order to avoid a single long line of text. The real aggravation is that, if you want to 're-size' the Text block, you have to go line by line and move words around. By 're-size', I don't mean the font size, but I mean the length or number of words in each line in the Text block. The only way around this, I believe, is to have margins in the Text block that would work as it does in any word processing program. Maybe a bit too much for PTE. I was just trying to do something that I would rarely do, and I was a bit stumped. But now I see the light.

I originally wanted to have a long vertically scrolling text block...like a story...running with the images as they changed. Being able to make adjustments in the width of the scrolling text would have been much easier if the Text block had the 'margin' capability. I have dropped that idea and went back to short text blurbs.

Thanks... Gary