WnSoft Forums

MP3 music files in Adobe Audition

Ronniebootwest

I have recently been unable to play my mp3 files that are created with Audition 1.5 and I do not know what the problem is.

The file is correctly saved with the mp3 option but when I try to add it to a PTE slide show (version 5.6) it is not recognised.

When I examine the 'Properties' of the file, I notice that it has an extension of .30

I have never heard of this extension type and am hoping that somebody can help me solve this problem.

Thanks for any assistance.

Ron West

Hi Dave,

Yes that is the same option that I have always used myself and it has always worked well.

However, if you check the 'properties' (right click) of that file, you will find that it

displays the 'File type' as an mp3, but mine now displays as a 'File Type 30' and I have no

idea why.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I've not seen a .30 file extension, but a .030 extension is a printer driver file. I would first delete completely and reload Audacity then try again and see if you still get this .30 extension. By doing as Dave suggests, you can at least see if the output is correct and being simply mislabeled for some strange reason.

Which operating system are you using?

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Lin,

I seem to have confused the issue!

It is not a file extension that I am referring to, it is the 'File Type' that is shown when you right click on the file to see its properties.

I know that Audition (not Audacity) is saving correctly as an mp3.

I am using XP pro.

Ron

post-925-125303859231_thumb.jpg

Hi Ron,

I've not seen a .30 file extension, but a .030 extension is a printer driver file. I would first delete completely and reload Audacity then try again and see if you still get this .30 extension. By doing as Dave suggests, you can at least see if the output is correct and being simply mislabeled for some strange reason.

Which operating system are you using?

Best regards,

Lin

Lin Ron said he was using

Audition

ken

Ron,

I know this is of no help to you but...

I've just checked a sample of my music files (CD rips by various rippers, downloads, Audacity - in my case - compilations, etc) and they all show the expected Type value (mostly mp3 and.or wav but some wma's, too)

Have you seen the comments I added to the personal conversation that you started with me? Just a further thought on top of what I wrote there: you haven't made any changes to your Preferences in Audition lately, have you?

regards,

Peter

Hi Ron,

It's not your mistake, it's mine. I read Audition as Audacity. I've never seen a file type 30 either so am in the dark about that as well. What happens when you try to play the file in another program like Audacity or Irfanview?

I know PTE is very "particular" about the "correctness" of MP3's so something must be upsetting the apple cart with the output.

Just for fun, if you have Audacity, try loading the file in there and exporting under a new mp3 file name and see what happens....

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Ron,

It's not your mistake, it's mine. I read Audition as Audacity. I've never seen a file type 30 either so am in the dark about that as well. What happens when you try to play the file in another program like Audacity or Irfanview?

I know PTE is very "particular" about the "correctness" of MP3's so something must be upsetting the apple cart with the output.

Just for fun, if you have Audacity, try loading the file in there and exporting under a new mp3 file name and see what happens....

Another thought: where did you get the original file which you output from Audition? Could you be running up against an issue of DRM?

Best regards,

Lin

Peter and Lin,

Thanks for trying to help on this issue.

I think I have tracked down the problem. I remembered that I upgraded to IE8 the other day and it

caused all sorts of problems on my system, so I uninstalled it and reverted back to IE6 (I never did try

version 7). It was only then that I started having this problem with Audition so I have downloaded Audacity

and exported the same music file as mp3 and all works well.

I then assumed that the Audition program had become corrupted because of the Internet explorer fiasco so I uninstalled

Audition (using REVO) and then re-installed it. Guess what? It all works as it should now.

My conclusion is that I will not attempt to upgrade to IE8, at least not until Windows 7 is released.

All's well that ends well, I guess.

Ron

Ron (and all others reading this post),

It is a first law of computer system problem solving that, when something which previously worked OK suddenly starts to play up, you first think back and identify the most recent changes that you have made. The root cause of the problem is more likely to lie with one of those recent changes than with anything else.

That is why all computer departments and companies are so keen to establish really good "change management" procedures.

It is a good philosophy to apply on personal computer systems, too. Keep some sort of diary or log of the major changes that you make to your systems, especially software installs and uninstalls.

regards,

Peter