WnSoft Forums

Slow Folders

Moelwyn

Hi,

Not sure if this has been posted before but does anyone else have a problem with folders taking a long time to show their contents if they have PTE.exe files in them? also what's the best way to email the finished .exe file as every email service provider seems to block it because it thinks it's illegal or a virus?

Thanks

Hi Moelwyn!

To get around your problem: :unsure:

1. Post it on www.beechbrook.com for everyone to see

2. or use www.mediafire.com where you can restrict the download

Then you just mail the link. :P

Regards

/Lennart

Not sure if this has been posted before but does anyone else have a problem with folders taking a long time to show their contents if they have PTE.exe files in them?

I have never experienced this problem.

also what's the best way to email the finished .exe file as every email service provider seems to block it because it thinks it's illegal or a virus?

Lennart's suggestion is I think the best one.

But if you really want to send your slideshow through mail, zip your .exe and attach the zip (instead of the exe).

If you don't know how to make a zip, you can read this article : http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/HA011276901033.aspx

Hi,

Not sure if this has been posted before but does anyone else have a problem with folders taking a long time to show their contents if they have PTE.exe files in them? also what's the best way to email the finished .exe file as every email service provider seems to block it because it thinks it's illegal or a virus?

Thanks

Hi Moelwyn

I too have noticed a problem for quite some time now with folders opening slowly that contain pte exe files ie the files (icons)contained in the folder take some little while to show.

I thought it might just be my pc being as no one else had mentioned it, but now you have made this post it will be interesting to see if anyone else has noticed this problem.

I haven't found a way to stop this happening, and it can be quite frustating at times as it can take quite some while for the contents of the folder to be revealed.

Kind regards

Paul

Yes, I've observed this ever since I started putting a copy of every exe fle into the same folder. I've just carried out a little test as follows:

- Ctrl+Alt+Del and launched the Windows Task Manager (WTM)

- Configured WTM to show the Processes tab, configured it to "Show processes from all users"

- Configured it to show the activity in descending order of CPU usage

- Configured it to be "Always on top"

- Used the Windows Start button to launch Windows Explorer and navigated to the folder containing all my PTE .exe files

Windows Explorer quickly displayed all the PTE exe files but with a plain white rectangle as the "icon" and then took several seconds to add the PTE icon to each of the .exe files.

Whilst Windows Explorer was doing this the top three processes in WTM were: System Idle Process, explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe.

System Idle Process is the the system waiting for work. This will show a very high percentage CPU busy almost all of the time - except when the computer is doing something else. "taskmgr.exe" is used to determine which process gets the next turn to have some processing service - and in a quiet system usually hops from 1 to 2 percent and back again as it "wakes up" to see who wants service and then goes back to sleep again.

In my test scenario the only task doing "useful" work was Windows Explorer.

I was half expecting to see Norton Anti-Virus busy but all the time is being taken up by Windows Explorer (explorer.exe). We are looking at a Windows overhead and there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it.

I'm not sure how Windows locates the icons for files but I suspect it has to read the first few bytes of each .exe file to locate the embedded icon image.

regards,

Peter

Yes, I've observed this ever since I started putting a copy of every exe fle into the same folder. I've just carried out a little test as follows:

- Ctrl+Alt+Del and launched the Windows Task Manager (WTM)

- Configured WTM to show the Processes tab, configured it to "Show processes from all users"

- Configured it to show the activity in descending order of CPU usage

- Configured it to be "Always on top"

- Used the Windows Start button to launch Windows Explorer and navigated to the folder containing all my PTE .exe files

Windows Explorer quickly displayed all the PTE exe files but with a plain white rectangle as the "icon" and then took several seconds to add the PTE icon to each of the .exe files.

Whilst Windows Explorer was doing this the top three processes in WTM were: System Idle Process, explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe.

System Idle Process is the the system waiting for work. This will show a very high percentage CPU busy almost all of the time - except when the computer is doing something else. "taskmgr.exe" is used to determine which process gets the next turn to have some processing service - and in a quiet system usually hops from 1 to 2 percent and back again as it "wakes up" to see who wants service and then goes back to sleep again.

In my test scenario the only task doing "useful" work was Windows Explorer.

I was half expecting to see Norton Anti-Virus busy but all the time is being taken up by Windows Explorer (explorer.exe). We are looking at a Windows overhead and there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it.

I'm not sure how Windows locates the icons for files but I suspect it has to read the first few bytes of each .exe file to locate the embedded icon image.

regards,

Peter

Peter

I think you hit the nail on the head -- imho the anti virus is working in the background and is evaluating all one's actions

and

-- when we download an exe in a zip and unpack the zip -- the exe is a plain white square -- after a couple seconds it turns into the pte icon (unless it is a custom icon)

also working in the background is a process that documents all these items then registers them -- i cant think of the specific name of the process - it is some kind of indexing - i believe i read one time it can be turned off

i have noticed mine doing it and really never gave it much thought because one never knows for sure what all an update does - i thought positively "they have added some more security"

Maybe NoBeefstu will drop in and give an answer rolleyes.gif

ken

Ken,

I think you were refering to SearchIndex feature which background builds indexes to all the files on all your hard-drives. I've turned this off as far as I can because it was adding minutes to file open and file save times.

And yes, like you I'm sure that if Stu does see this topic he will contribute his expertise (as would Brian - Conflow - if he spots it).

regards,

Peter

I have noticed the issue too with slow "loading" of .exe files when in EXPLORE.

I don't remember the issue when I used to use Norton for anti-virus, but I have it in spades with AVG. I have tried turning AVG off while opening the folder, but that didn't seem to help. (I had fewer exe files when I was using Norton)

While I tend to keep the exe file in the folder with each show, I have one folder with all the exe's in it for quick copying of individual shows for a presentation of a group of shows.

There is no problem with the one .exe per folder, but the all encompassing folder is an issue and as I have less patience as I progress in age, I solved it to some extent, by grouping them in subfolders with 4-5 .exe file in each subfolder.

Sure hope someone comes in with a simple "fix"

Guest Yachtsman1

Moelwyn

To answer the second part of your question about emailing exe files. I did some research a couple of months ago when I was doing a job for a client who lived a substantial distance away and wanted to see work in progress. After a frustrating time with emails bouncing straight back when sent, I determined it was the file name ending in exe that the client's email system didn't like. adding the exe file to a zip folder without the exe file name solved the problem. This is assuming the file size is not bigger than the ISP you are attempting to send the file from & to allows. Mine is limited to 35mb per email.

Yachtsman1

Hi,

This is in response to the post from JRR yesterday.

I too noticed a totally unacceptable delay in opening the Exe files since upgrading to AVG 8.5( which is such a big beast). So my solution to this annoying delay was to select the 'Resident Shield' in the AVG window... select 'Manage exceptions' and put into the 'directory excludes' box all the 'exe' files and certain other files from the desktop from where I normally locate them.

This now allows them to open up as they used to, ie, very fast.

In my understanding, these files are not likely to be corrupted as they are exe files and therefore do not require the AVG attention in opening???? however I semi expect someone to tell me that I am totally wrong and run the risk of the computer exploding. But for the last couple of months everything has run perfectly.

Anthony

Moelwyn

To answer the second part of your question about emailing exe files. I did some research a couple of months ago when I was doing a job for a client who lived a substantial distance away and wanted to see work in progress. After a frustrating time with emails bouncing straight back when sent, I determined it was the file name ending in exe that the client's email system didn't like. adding the exe file to a zip folder without the exe file name solved the problem. This is assuming the file size is not bigger than the ISP you are attempting to send the file from & to allows. Mine is limited to 35mb per email.

Yachtsman1

Eric:

Glad that worked for you. I have cases where the E-mail client rejected the zip file that contained an .exe file. One way around it is to change the extension to something other than .exe and just have the recipient change it back at the other end. I frequently use .P2E as the extension

Hi,

I too noticed a totally unacceptable delay in opening the Exe files since upgrading to AVG 8.5( which is such a big beast). So my solution to this annoying delay was to select the 'Resident Shield' in the AVG window... select 'Manage exceptions' and put into the 'directory excludes' box all the 'exe' files and certain other files from the desktop from where I normally locate them.

In my understanding, these files are not likely to be corrupted as they are exe files and therefore do not require the AVG attention in opening???? however I semi expect someone to tell me that I am totally wrong and run the risk of the computer exploding. But for the last couple of months everything has run perfectly.

Anthony

Bingo!!! :):):):)

/Lennart

Hi,

Anthony

Anthony:

Yes that certainly sped things up !!!!

I checked with a computer service person, who recommends AVG to all his clients, he has no issue with the settings you opted for, assuming of course that you have done an initial virus check on any files that weren't yours (downloads, copies from friends etc etc)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Yachtsman1

I had 40 EXE files in one folder, today I categorised them into 7 separate folders. The main exe folder now opens instantly, and the different categories at an acceptable rate. I haven't altered my AVG settings.

Yachtsman1

Thanks everybody for the great feedback and advice! I too am using AVG 8.5 so this must be the reason for the slow folder issue. As for sending ZIP files, I tried that but they too were rejected. I'm sure I've tried renaming the extension to something other than .exe but couldnt do it. So I'm going to give that another go. What's the easiest way to do this?

Moelwyn.

... As for sending ZIP files, I tried that but they too were rejected. I'm sure I've tried renaming the extension to something other than .exe but couldnt do it. So I'm going to give that another go. What's the easiest way to do this?

Moelwyn.

If I remember correctly, go to EXPLORE > TOOLS > OPTIONS >VIEW and ensure that "hide extensions for known file types" is turned off. The file extensions will then show. You can then rename the extension to whatever you want (only for the purpose of sending a file - it has to be changed back to its proper name to be opened and used

post-239-125483659178_thumb.jpg

Guest Yachtsman1

I use XP SP3 I moved the exe file to my desktop, single right clicked it, scrolled to "send to", scrolled to zip folder, re-named zip folder. I have sent 25mb exe files using BT yahoo mail with this method. You need to check what your ISP's mail limit is.

Yachtsman1

GMAIL WILL BOUNCE A EXE IN A ZIP

as per

'Tom Mendenhall

RENAME EXE TO MDB AS PER YOUR INST AND ZIPPED UP

but you have to remind people that when you unpack the zip they have to rename the .MDB TO .EXE

google will not pass a zip

yahoo,sympatico and hotmail will

hotmail will not pass an url

i have 4 mail accounts for various reasons and purposes and have found out about these quirks the hard way over the

years

these quirks make it very difficult for igor when sending the keys

KEN