WnSoft Forums

sound track length pte

moonman

Hello

In pte 5.5 both my friend and i have had this problem.

You edit a sound track to a given length that matches slide show ie full show 14min 01 fade out at 13min 45

This matches the time line display

Now when you put this sound trk into pte proj options shows it as15min25 impossible it aint that length !

When you view it in time line it looks perfect ie you see the fade out and end of trk coincident with last slide. As14min with fade at 13m45

But ! when you play it in p/v instead of fading out the music plays on past the end of the show and stops abruptly at end of last slide without any fade out at all.

ie it wants to play on to 15min25

I could find now way of sorting this so i made the exe and to my surprise it faded our correctly . So i went ahead and made the DVD that too was correct.

So whats going on oin pte in that it sees a sound track at the wrong length. It would present real problems if i had wanted to shift any timings having put the sound track in i would not know what i was looking at as the time line does not tally with the inserted track length.

I have been trying to contact wn soft since 29 sept with tracking id of 6JP7XRQP2Q but have had no response

Can you help please cheers john

Hi John,

What format is your sound track file? WAV? MP3? OGG? something else?

What software did you use to create it?

There have been several other reports of this kind of problem in the past and they have usually turned out to be issues surrounding the specific audio codecs used to create the sound file. I, personally, have created MP3 sound files in Audacity that played fine in Audacity and Windows Media Player but showed up as zero length when imported into PTE - and wouldn't play at all.

regards,

Peter

Peter/John

I experienced this myself recently and it baffled me for a while. I have made hundreds of sound tracks in the same way, so I am familar with what usually comes out the end of the process.

However, on one accasion I experienced what John has explained after editing music in Audacity and bringing it into PTE. All the data told me the track was x length, WMP showed it right, Audacity showed it right, but PTE showed me it was Y length.

I didn't waste time trying to chase my tail and simply opened Adobe Audition and edited the sound there, it then displayed at the correct length in PTE.

It hasn't happened since...........Conclusion?

One of those odd computer things and there are just not enough hours in the day or the will for me to try and track it all down. A rougue Mp3 perhaps, a glitch in Audactity. Who knows !!!

John:

It has happened to me a few times as well

In my case I always traced it to have created the file with some rogue frequency. Once I corrected it back to 44,100HZ everything worked fine.

Can't promise you will as a simple a solution though

Peter/John

I experienced this myself recently and it baffled me for a while. I have made hundreds of sound tracks in the same way, so I am familar with what usually comes out the end of the process.

However, on one accasion I experienced what John has explained after editing music in Audacity and bringing it into PTE. All the data told me the track was x length, WMP showed it right, Audacity showed it right, but PTE showed me it was Y length.

I didn't waste time trying to chase my tail and simply opened Adobe Audition and edited the sound there, it then displayed at the correct length in PTE.

It hasn't happened since...........Conclusion?

One of those odd computer things and there are just not enough hours in the day or the will for me to try and track it all down. A rougue Mp3 perhaps, a glitch in Audactity. Who knows !!!

Hi guys

dont seem to have got my last reply posted try this i note what said.

i have since tried this . The orig sound trk was from cooledit yet played and looked fine for timing inany other editor.So this time i opened in audacity then re saved . Put it into pte and proj options agrees with the timing and it fades out as per the timeline waveform.

I think pte have a bug problem but they dont respond to my question other than giving a ref no this has gone on since sept !

Thanks for you help but it really means that you must play around with diff sound editors to see if they correspond with pte

Organmorgan,

What was the Sample Rate and Sample Format of the original sound file when you opened it in Cooledit? And what were the values of these same fields when that same file was opened in Audacity?

regards,

Peter

Hello Peter

i have made scrn grabs of file info in cool edit it does show that cool ver wasat 44,100 and aud at 22050 see my attches. thanks for your time

cheers john

post-5788-125571577539_thumb.jpg

post-5788-125571579981_thumb.jpg

John,

I use Audacity and have my defaults set to 44,100Hz, 16-bit. So I'm at a loss to understand why the Cooledit file (which does have those values) didn't work. Unfortunately I've no experience of Cooledit. To be honest, I was expecting the numbers to come out the other way round: Audacity at 44,100Hz, 16-bit and Cooledit at some other values.

As others have commented, this kind of problem occurs seemingly randomly and nobody has yet got to the bottom of it.

I think most of us work on the basis that, once you've found a way that works - you stick with it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Sorry I've not been able to provide a satisfactory explanation.

regards,

Peter

In Audacity, change the sample rate to 44,100. Resave and all should be good. As mentioned before, it's quicker to make it right sometimes, rather than try to understand it. I do know this, Pictures to Exe is not to blame. This is just one of those little miseries that PC's have a way of throwing at us from time to time.

In Audacity, change the sample rate to 44,100. Resave and all should be good. As mentioned before, it's quicker to make it right sometimes, rather than try to understand it. I do know this, Pictures to Exe is not to blame. This is just one of those little miseries that PC's have a way of throwing at us from time to time.

I shall continue to investigate this if i get any sense from it i shall post my findings .Thanks for all of your help and time

cheers john an old feller in otley england

Its very strange that im not had a reply from wn soft from my first request and send agains do think something has happened to them ?