WnSoft Forums

Defying Gravity (three ways)

Lin Evans

Defying Gravity is a song written and performed by Jesse Winchester. It was also performed by various other artists including Emmylou Harris, Jimmie Buffett and Waylon Jennings.

There is another song with the same title from the play "Wicked" which is performed by various artists, but this is not that one.

There is a hidden "implication" in this - see if you can detect it!

About 10 minutes running time....

http://www.learntoma...nggravitypc.zip (Windows PC - about 20 meg)

http://www.learntoma...ggravitymac.zip (MacIntosh - about 20 meg)

Lin

LOL - the simulation only covers three days or so. It could be that the clouds will be back! This time of year we will take any good weather which providence sends our way!!

Best regards,

Lin

SMOOTH HERE

glad you got the cloud cover removed from my place, it is too bad you still have cloudy skies at Berthoudblink.gif

ken

Hey Tom,

We do what we can! LOL.

Yep, that's a pretty steep re-entry angle for sure. Did you notice where the cube ended up? Right back in Rocky Mountain National Park so the "critters" can either return home or at least their "ashes" can be interred there if the angle was too steep and the descent too rapid!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

It looks like you fixed our Global Warming problem. I was a little worried about the crittercube re-entry angle being a little too steep.

Tom

Hey Jeff,

Hint: Remember the opening for 2001 a Space Odyssey? Remember the monolith (sort of cube) and the one planted on the moon as sort of a space age "alarm" to possibly indicate to those who apparently "seeded" Earth for our development when our fledgling attempts at leaving this "big blue ball" were successful? The cube finally lost its battle "defying gravity" - LOL.

The shooting star would be possible but not really "accurate" since a meteorite develops its intense heat from friction with the Earth's atmosphere. The atmosphere in the simulation is such a tiny proportion of the overall scene that the significance would be lost I'm afraid. Shooting stars are viewed from Earth as the mass accelerates when attracted by gravitational forces and from space would be just a "blip" on the horizon. What "would" be accurate and perhaps possible would be a nice comet?? I'll have to think on that one!

Best regards,

Lin

Great Lin, but you lost me with the 'implication'. Maybe it will help to know the words of the song.

What about a fast shooting star somewhere?

Jeff

Great work Lin. I've been enjoying Jesse Winchester ever since he jumped countries long ago. Even so, I was not aware of the other artists who jumped onto this song. As good as your PTE skills are, I was at first not sure I'd stick around for 10 minutes. But I was wrong. I soon found I was contemplating both the messages of the song and the creative elements of your presentation. (mesmerized?) As often, with your presentations and demos, they lead my mind. Over the years, I've observed some of my photos seemed more interesting when presented as labels on CD's. Something about the circle boundary vs. the normal rectangular shape of photos. So now my thought - Have you tried using your rotating globe to frame individual photos for possibly portions or even an entire presentation? I'd love to see what you might do that way.

Thanks Bob,

He's definitely an excellent lyricist and stuck to his convictions back in the 60's when the country was divided on the Vietnam issue. I think his "New Tennessee Waltz" was his parting shot at the politics of war and a turning point in his career.

I will try your idea and see how it plays. I've reworked the ending in anticipation of possibly doing that with a future iteration of the Earth simulation. I have been searching for just the right NASA high resolution photo to let me do what I did with the ending. If you have the patience to sit through another 10 minutes, let me know what you think.

This one is a killer on graphics cards so may not run the cubes smoothly - large, high resolution images take a toll !

Here's the Mac and PC links for the newer version:

http://www.learntoma...gravity2mac.zip (Mac version)

http://www.learntoma...ghravity2pc.zip (Windows version)

Best regards,

Lin

Hey Ken,

I'm glad is ran O.K. for you. The large, high resolution image takes a toll on the graphics environment. I runs fine on my nVidia 8800 GT card, but the "cubes" stutter a bit on Sherry's 8600 GT OC nVidia card....

Best regards,

Lin

NEATO :)

was that santa in the distance:)

ken

Hi Lin,

That ran fine on my Nvidia 8800GT graphics card and Window 7. But I am scared.

I have not used PTE for about 12 months or so and have just got back into seeing what has been going on with updates etc. I am intending doing some shows. But the things you can do with the program now are a bit scary, I dont know if I would ever be able to do a show like this one you have posted. I hope you still have plenty of tutorial on you website! :blink:

Glenys

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Glenys,

No doubt you will be able to do any of the shows I have posted. It just takes a bit of time and using the features until you are familiar with them. Small steps and soon you will have it mastered.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

That ran fine on my Nvidia 8800GT graphics card and Window 7. But I am scared.

I have not used PTE for about 12 months or so and have just got back into seeing what has been going on with updates etc. I am intending doing some shows. But the things you can do with the program now are a bit scary, I dont know if I would ever be able to do a show like this one you have posted. I hope you still have plenty of tutorial on you website! :blink:

Glenys