WnSoft Forums

Add the audio MP4 format to supported music formats.

goddi

Whilst I have no objection to adding more sound file types to the list of those supported by PTE, I feel I must make the cautionary observation here that, in my opinion, any sound file types supported by PTE should also be supported by the audio editor that many of use - Audacity.

In Audacity v1.2 (which I believe is the official version at the moment) there is no mention of MP4 as an audio file option.

Also, Tom, I'm just a little concerned about the reference to Apple - that suggests to me that it is a manufacturer proprietary format. Wouldn't PTE be better going down the Open Systems route?

regards,

Peter

Yes probably but there are 2 problems with sound that need to be addressed. One is MP4 and the other is the Codec problem with some MP3 files that seem to come from iTunes. I don't think you can call MP4 as proprietry as this is the format used by many Video cameras and hybrid cameras like the Sanyo Xacti. I use this latter to capture sound bites for AVs. I assume that MP4 is used by the new DSLRs.

In both cases I have had to use iTunes to export them as a WAV and then use Audacity to re-compile them as MP3. This is a very fiddly performance. It would be good if PTE could handle these directly, however,I have been looking and there does seem to be some free conversion software out there, like NCH Switch Audio Converter but has anyone tried it or can recommend another one.

Roger

Roger,

...the Codec problem with some MP3 files that seem to come from iTunes...

Exactly my point! The iTunes environment is an Apple proprietary one and attempts to get sound files out of it into other, more open, environments are always going to have to overcome problems of compatability (or rather, the lack of it).

I don't think you can call MP4 as proprietry as this is the format used by many Video cameras and hybrid cameras like the Sanyo Xacti.

Just because other manufacturers use something doesn't mean it isn't proprietary. Such other manufacturers will have a paid a licence fee to the patent/copyright/intellectual property owner for permission to use it. (I'm not saying that that is the case with regards to MP4. I'm stating it as a general principle that underpins "licence to manufacture" for something that you do not hold the rights to)

If WnSoft have to start paying (potentially massive) licence fees to other companies, the cost of PTE will have to rise significantly. Is that really what we want?

I'm not saying don't add support for more sound file types; I'm simply pointing out that there may be some significant downsides of so doing.

I'm sure we can rely on Igor's impeccable judgement as to which, if any, new file types he adds into the pool of those supported by PTE. And whichever he chooses, we can be certain that the resultant quality will be first class!

regards,

Peter