WnSoft Forums

Slide file sizes and types

richardh

Dear All,

I am new to Pic to Exe, and have tried a couple of shows, but the resulting file size seems massive compared to those i have seen on the web. I bought Barry beckham's CD, and this has been really good, but I am still fighting file size.

The originals are all taken on a Canon D60, and I do all the unsharpen mask, etc on the originals.

I then resize all the jpg files so they are 13 inches wide, at 72 dpi. An average file size i get is 270Kb.

With a mpg file, and 75 slides, O get a exe file of 25Mb. This is massive, isn't it?

How can I keep quality images , and yet cut down on the final file size?

Many thanks for your help

Richard

infodesk@southendexperience.co.uk

Hello, Richard!

1. Resize your pictures to 800x600 or 640x480 PIXELs ( no inches!)

2. PhotoShop (or others editing programs) have option "Save for Web". Use it.

Regards,

Oleg :blink:

Save for Web" and "Save as...jpg" is very different algorithms, I think

Quite likely it is but irfanview keeps to the "KISS" principle, and the original author sounds like he is just starting out so why confuse him more?????

ken

To Ken Cox:

My information for Richard is "...confuse him more" ?!

It is very interesting thought!...

Dear Ken!

Richard never gets quality compressing pictures in Ifranview which he can get in UleadPaintShop, PhotoShop or UleadSmartSaver.

You like use freeware programs? Use it, please...

Regards,

Oleg :blink:

Richard

What is wrong with a 25 meg file with 70 images. If you want quality images in your slide show you are going to get these sizes. For an audio visual of that type I can see nothing wrong with a 25 meg file.

If you size your images to 1024 on the long side and save them as a Jpeg at level 6 you will be fine. I am a bit at a loss as to why you feel a 25 megabyte file is too large. If you make your slide show smaller as some have suggested you will not get a screen filling picture. What is the point of using PTE and a Canon D60 and reducing images to 800*600 (sorry Oleg, but I am not sure I concur with that advice) One of the pluses of PTE for me is the fact that we can project a picture at 1024*768. I just could not bring myself to make it smaller. Over 50% of my web visitors have screen resolutions set at 1024*768 so I think that is the size to stay with.

Unless your PC is steam driven and as a D60 owner I somehow doubt it, the show should run perfectly. I have a new balloon AV with far less than 70 images and that is 40 meg. It plays a treat on my desktop and I have run it a number of times at lectures on a laptop with no problem.

Can you tell us what software you are using and why 25 meg is a problem?

Barry Beckham