WnSoft Forums

Sound Editing Tutorials

Barry Beckham

I have just been asked if I produce any tutorials on sound editing using Cooledit (now Adobe Audition). I have a full version of Adobe Audition, thanks to their generosity, but I have never really given the making of video tutorials on this subject serious thought.

I always assumed that it was fairly pointless to make a tutorial using software of $24 and then deal with sound editing with software costing $300.

I did just scrape the surface of Cooledit a bit in one CD, but that was just a written one and done with the cheaper version of Cooledit.

I must admit that it has given me something to think about and I assume that the principles of sound editing are the same via Audition or Audacity.

I am thinking about a movie CD that covers all I can think of in relation to sound editing for Audio Visual. For Example

Importing from a music CD

Converting to MP3 and wave

Saving music files

Mixing down different tracks

Increase music length

Reduce music length

Joining different music together.

Cutting pasting music/and or sound

Fade music out

Fade music in

Add sound effects to music

Recording voice overs

Add voice overs

Adding voice and sound effects to the music file.

Adding effects such as echo

I would welcome this forums views on that please?

bbdigital

:unsure:

Hi Barry,

You plan to cover a lot in your tutorial! I have given lectures on sound creation from time to time here in Ireland, and what I find is this. People will proudly tell you that "my photography is a life long learning experience, but if you cannot teach me all there is to know about sound in one afternoon then you must be useless". As you know the sound side of A/V is just as complex as the photography and therefor just as rewarding when it starts to go right,

Go for it lad! :D

Alan

I learnt the use of CoolEdit and CoolEdit+Studio from two excellent papers written by a colleague in Mid-Thames AV Group.

Ron [uK]

Barry:

I have had a lot of questions, directly to me off-forum, on all those topics since I uploaded the Beekeeping and Petrie shows to Beechbrook.

So yes there is a market, whether people will pay for it when they can get the information free from us on the forum is another thing.

I would recommend that you deal use Audacity or Acoutstica as your software demo as not everyone has, or can afford Audition.

• 3 months later...

Hello Barry - as a user of several of your excellent video tutorials, including those published in Digital Photo, I for one would welcome a detailed tutorial on sound editing.

I use Cool Edit 2000 - fairly intuitively, I'm afraid (can't do with too much reading about software, prefer to use it).

It would be good to see what is possible and also what the Adobe version might be able to offer - is it worth buying when I already have Cool Edit?

Hi Barry,

I Have several of your tutorial CD's, I would be interested in a Sound Editing Tutorial. I agree with Jim and would like to see you use Audacity or Acoustica for your Demo's.

Bert

Hello Barry - as a user of several of your excellent video tutorials, including those published in Digital Photo, I for one would welcome a detailed tutorial on sound editing.

I use Cool Edit 2000 - fairly intuitively, I'm afraid (can't do with too much reading about software, prefer to use it).

It would be good to see what is possible and also what the Adobe version might be able to offer - is it worth buying when I already have Cool Edit?

Count me in on a tutorial with reasonably priced software! I need LOTS of help!

Isabel

Barry:

I have had a lot of questions, directly to me off-forum, on all those topics since I uploaded the Beekeeping and Petrie shows to Beechbrook.

So yes there is a market, whether people will pay for it when they can get the information free from us on the forum is another thing.

I would recommend that you deal use Audacity or Acoutstica as your software demo as not everyone has, or can afford Audition.

I would think there would be more of a market for a tutorial based on a less comprehensive program than the Adobe one...Audacity sounds like a good idea. That's complicated enough for me!

Isabel :blink: