WnSoft Forums

Windows Security interference

Laszlo K

Odity that I don't understand.

I have created a multiple page PTE project. All was working well, but there was two shows that would not respond to the click and would not open. I had gone over all the settings from a to z and all was OK.

The only way to get back to the desktop was Ctr-Alt-Del.

So I tried to open the culprits and got a pop-up window saying if I want to run or cancel the EXE. Clicked on the run and all was OK.

Next I right clicked on the file to check the properties when I found out that Windows security blocked the run of the file, but there was an UNBLOCK button, click on that solved the problem.

Now the odity is that out of 76 PTE's that were done on at least 14 different computers 74 was running fine, but only two of them were blocked.

Why only two?

Of course the warning was hidden under the image invisible from the surface but Ctr-Alt-Del was able to shut the program but without the trace of the warning.

So the moral of the story at my end. Play the project before you get into complex situation and if you get the pop-up right click on the icon, go to Properties and UNBLOCK the file.

Laszlo

Laszlo,

This block issue seems only to be related to MS Zip own resident program function- right click to extract. It does not only single out exe files contained. Using WinZip and other related tools work normal without any block issues.

This issue seems to directly relate to zips tranfered or downloaded from the internet and unzipping with MS-right click. Emailed zips unzip and work just fine (excluding if they originally were downloaded fron the internet). Some update to Windows and/or IE started promoting this issue some time back. Ralph (HAWK) has reported recently that his IE 8 had the same block issue a month ago ... but just informed me that all is back to working normal. Maybe a recent Windows Update just fixed the issue or theres a new option setting in IE thats on by default.

So, the easy way around the block issue is to just drag the files out of the zip if your using MS Zip own resident program ... or use Winzip or other tools that work as normal without blocks.

Thanks for the reply Peter & Stu!

The odity of it that is a PTE that one of my student made and was transfered by USB key. The file name looks normal: the vision B&W 5.exe , and it was playing before if I allowed it in the pop-up. Actually I paid no attention to it untill it did not show up being underneath the main page.

I put the post up so if others encounter similar situation not to get frustrated just unblock it in the properties.

I run XP home on my desktop and the updates are disabled on it, the laptop runs XP Pro and it is updated as it needs it. ( with selection of updates ) both machines are customm built so there is no hidden garbage running on them

I also have some of my stuff doing it and have never been transfered form my desktop.

Now at least I will pay more attention to projects when I'm done with them and check the properties.

As for unzipping I use WinRar and WinZip but they were not used on the files.

Have a Happy New Year to all.

Laszlo