WnSoft Forums

CHANGING COMPUTER

orizaba

Dear Fellows,

A Happy New 2010 with lots of PTE SlideShows!

Sorry for my ignorance, as I think I should know how to deal with this problem... but I don't!

I just moved from my usual computer where I am building a long project. I made a "SAVE ZIP". In such computer all my used slides are in Hard Disk "I", so, path is something like "I:\34.\Picture 00356.jpg" (34 beeing the folder).

In my actual computer I only have a "C" hard drive. I installed PTE software and I unziped the "SAVE ZIP" I made. Clicking on "PTE file" (which is mixed with all pictures and sound files) I can open my project, but all pictures (and sound) files appear with message "NOT FOUND" because, obviously, path does not correspond to nothing (I have no Hard drive "I").

I can say that I made a copy of the complete folder where I had the pictures (I:\34.) in my other computer.

I think that I could try to change path of each slide, one by one.

As I have more than 150 slides, I think there is a more convenient way to do this, all of them at the same time.

How to?

Can somebody give me some help?

Thanks very much.

Jose

Jose,

If you used PTE to do "File...Create backup in Zip" on your old PC and put the zip file on a CD or USB stick and then Extracted the contents of the zip to a folder on your new PC, that should have worked. Is this what you did? Or did you use some other software to build the Zip file?

If you are confident enough to try it, this might work for you:

• Use Windows Explorer to copy the PTE project file
  • Rename the copy to, for example: Project2.txt
  • Use a text editor to edit Project2.txt file, doing a global change of "I:pathname" to "C:pathname"
  • File Save As to another newname, for example: Project3.txt
  • Rename Project3.txt to Project3.pte
  • Open Project3.pte and see if that has solved the problem.

regards

Peter

Jose!

It happened to me also. What I did is used an external HD and changed the drive letter (in my case was Q)to the one that was indicated on the PTE ( in you case I ). Go to Control Panet -Administrative Tools- Computer Management- Disc Management.

Right click on the drive that you want to change and change drive letter. It will warn you that some programs will not be able read the drive if you change the letter, but you can always change it back.

In my case it was working like a charm. I always keep a bunch of drives that I can just hook up with a USB to IDE harness and have no worries about the change of letters.

Laszlo

Dear Fellows,

A Happy New 2010 with lots of PTE SlideShows!

Sorry for my ignorance, as I think I should know how to deal with this problem... but I don't!

I just moved from my usual computer where I am building a long project. I made a "SAVE ZIP". In such computer all my used slides are in Hard Disk "I", so, path is something like "I:\34.\Picture 00356.jpg" (34 beeing the folder).

In my actual computer I only have a "C" hard drive. I installed PTE software and I unziped the "SAVE ZIP" I made. Clicking on "PTE file" (which is mixed with all pictures and sound files) I can open my project, but all pictures (and sound) files appear with message "NOT FOUND" because, obviously, path does not correspond to nothing (I have no Hard drive "I").

I can say that I made a copy of the complete folder where I had the pictures (I:\34.) in my other computer.

I think that I could try to change path of each slide, one by one.

As I have more than 150 slides, I think there is a more convenient way to do this, all of them at the same time.

How to?

Can somebody give me some help?

Thanks very much.

Jose

Jose,

Looks to me as if you are missing a special .Dat File within the Copied/Transfered Folder.

Without the Dat-File (see example below) Pte will not be able to find your original Photos

even if they are within their original Folder.

The 'Dat-File' has the same Name as the Slideshow-Name but a different File extension for example:-

a) ConShow.EXE ~ this is the Slideshow Executable File. (See attachment).

B) ConShow.PTE ~ this is the Slideshow Dat.File (See Attachment).

If the Dat.File is missing from the Folder do a -->Start Button-->Search-->For Files & Folders-->

Type in the 'Title' of the Show followed by .PTE. As Example:- ConShow.PTE (Note the dot)

The PC will find it if it exists, now simply copy it and place that copy in the Photo-Folder now

Re-Start the PC containing that Folder and the Dat.File will find your Photographs.

Hope this helps,

Brian (Conflow)

post-1416-126247734185_thumb.gif

Hi Peter. Laszlo and Brian,

Thanks very much for your help.

In fact, I should have already informed that I "discovered" how to solve this problem, some hours after I post my message. I discovered the reply I needed in this same forum some weeks ago: just "unzip all" (right click) in a sole folder in my actual (second) computer, and that's it!

Anyhow, thanks for your kind cooperation!

Regards,

Jose