WnSoft Forums

Free AVG

Photo99

A question for the more techo people here.

For the last 8 months I have been running the free version of AVG to protect my PC I also have the XP firewall enabled. As far as I know it has done its job well.

Recently I have been told by several friends that I should have other programs running as well as the free version of AVG is not a complete protection package.

Is this true?

What else should I have running?

What would you recommend?

thanks

Joanne

If you are using a router (hardware firewall) that's about all you need. I think more people get into trouble trying to be overly protective than from having too little anti-threat protection. AVG Free plus a good router should provide all the protection you need. Other opinion may differ, but essentially that's all I've been using on my system for several years without any issues.

Lin

Lin what is a Hardware Firewall? The firewall I have is the XP one in control panel-security centre. Is that the same?

My current PC is an old laptop and next week I get my first desktop an i7-860 with a GTX285 video windows 7-64bit and 8GB DDR3-2000. This is the reason I asked the question as I wish to know how I should protect it from the start. Photoshop CS4 loaded very excited cant wait.

thanks

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

If you have a router, then you essentially have a hardware firewall. If you don't have, you can always get one. If you have DSL then you already have one. If you are using cable to connect to the internet, you probably have one. The router sits between your input from either the telephone, cable or other source of internet and your computer. This router connects via ethernet to your computer or via wireless signal to peripheral computers such as your laptop. The router (hardware) contains a firewall which prevents unwanted incoming. Your sofware firewall prevents outgoing and AVG takes care of the rest. You really shouldn't need anything else.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin what is a Hardware Firewall? The firewall I have is the XP one in control panel-security centre. Is that the same?

My current PC is an old laptop and next week I get my first desktop an i7-860 with a GTX285 video windows 7-64bit and 8GB DDR3-2000. This is the reason I asked the question as I wish to know how I should protect it from the start. Photoshop CS4 loaded very excited cant wait.

thanks

Joanne

Hi,

I am delighted somebody has raised this topic as it has been bugging me for years.

I have a great respect for your opinion on such matters Lin and my natural instinct is to follow your advise. However, some years ago I did suffer from a computer virus of some sort and decided to take all necessary steps to protect myself in the future. Unfortunately, when people like me, who are only partially computer literate, start reading all the blurb that is constantly pushed out by the industry confusion takes over. An insurance salesman's paradise!

I run Windows XP Firewall and there will also be a firewall on my router. I also have the paid for version of AVG (I used to have the free version but allowed myself to be convinced that it was essential to have the all singing version). Additionally I was or allowed myself to be persuaded that I needed Pareto Logic's Privacy Controls (which I think cleans up my Windows cashe and internet history amongst other things). I also was persuaded that XSoft Spyware was an essential tool. Additionally I run RegCure regularly and frequently defrag my hard drives. All of the above mentioned products cost an amount I am too scared to contemplate right now but for two machines in the household I'd be pleased to be persuaded that its not worth the investment!

I often wish there was one simple solution rather than the plethora of solutions with which we are constantly being bombarded.

Opinions/advice most welcome.

Regards

John

PS I have to admit that I have had no serious PC problems since my scare of several years ago.

In an attempt to prevent Brian Kelly (Conflow) having another apoplectic fit I'll try and summarise the situation re PC protection. If I get anything technically wrong I know Brian will step in and correct me.

Any PC that is connected to the Internet should (= must for the user's peace of mind) be protected against the intrusion of any software or the intrusion of a user with malicious or just mischeivous intent). There are two basic requirements:

- to prevent the "malware" getting into your PC in the first place (in-bound traffic protection)

- to prevent it making contact with the outside world if it does get in (out-bound traffic protection)

There is a third requirement: to get rid of an infection if it does happen. But, as with all things, prevention is far better than the cure. So let's concentrate on prevention.

The key element in prevention is the firewall. This word is used because a computer firewall serves exactly the same purpose as a firewall in a building: it helps to prevent the spread of something nasty (fire in the building, malicious code or a malicious user on the PC). The PC's firewall needs to prevent instrusion by unwanted users/software and also to prevent any intruders who do get in from reporting back to their home base.

The best solution, and one that is becoming increasingly common thanks to the increasing use of domestic Wi-Fi networks, is to use a combination of a hardware firewall and a software firewall. The Wi-Fi router includes a hardware firewall which, in most installations, will be set to allow in-bound traffic only from sites that have already been contacted via out-bound traffic. Put simply: if you haven't spoken to them, they are not allowed to speak to you. But the router does not usually play a serious part in controlling the out-bound traffic. Typically, the hardware firewall in the router will let all out-bound traffic through.

So, you also need a software firewall in your PC to control the out-bound traffic. All the major players in the PC security arena (Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, AVG and others) include firewall software in their product portfolios. But bear in mind that you must not run two software firewalls at the same time. They will conflict with each other and cause problems for you. I can speak only for the Norton product but this turns off the Windows Firewall on the PC and installs its own firewall. From past problems reported on this forum there are software firewalls out there that try and co-exist with the Windows firewall. Beware!

But putting the firewalls in place is just part of the protection. You need to put in place a layered set of software protection. For example: you also need to protect against the malware spreading or doing its thing if it does get past the firewall. That means detecting it as it comes in and either deleting it or at the very least putting it in quarantine, out of harm's way. Your primary defence here is your anti-virus software. But the various anti-virus products that exist all cover different aspects. So, you must do some homework and compare their features and then decide which one is right for you.

The algorithms used by the anti-virus software differ from company to company and have different levels of effectiveness. So it can make sense to have another line of anti-malware defence behind the anti-virus software. My own protection consists of:

- a Wi-Fi router providing the hardware firewall (active all the time)

- Norton Internet Security providing the software firewall and anti-malware detection (active all the time and updated automatically)

- IoBit's Advanced System Care run manually once per week after Norton has done the full-system scan (which is automated to run overnight so it doesn't interfere with PC performance when I'm using the PC). Advanced System Care prompts me if there is a new software release or a new database of detection routines (I download and install everything it tells me about).

The final layer of protection is YOU! If you do not practise "safe surfing" and "safe e-mailing" then no amount of protection will keep your PC clean.

- NEVER open attachments on e-mails from strangers. That's equivalent to telling your kids: don't accept sweets from strangers.

- NEVER follow links to foreign websites (sorry to all our non-UK members; but I distrust all links to websites that have a country code other than .uk unless I have a really good reason to risk making the connection). That's equivalent to telling your kids: don't accept lifts from strangers.

I firmly believe that you need a layered defence system; but each layer adds additional resource usage. The challenge is to put enough protection in place without consuming unnecessary resource. It's a balancing act: and the safer your usage practises are, the less protection you can get away with. I feel that my "three-layers plus me" is the right protection for the way I use my systems and the Internet.

regards,

Peter

well John - what are we going to do

if you looked up your own posting maybe things would settle out for you

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4354&st=0&p=28104&hl=FIREWALL&fromsearch=1entry28104

0ne of the original threads was

Firewall/Antivirus Problems

and was started by you Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:46 AM

Joanne, Peter and all,

What Peter has written is quite true and I have always advocated the "3 Tier Protection System" + "Cleanup-Utility"

for any PC.

As Peter and Lin have just written:-

a) A good 'Router-Wirewall' (Via your connection to the Internet).

B) A good 'Software-Firewall' (Which is pre-installed on XP-Vista-Windows.7 PC's).

c) A good 'Anti-Virus Program (There are many such as AGC-Norton-Avast-Kaspersky etc).

d) A good 'Cleanup-Program' (Which cleans-out the left over debris having used your PC).

e) To avoid serious conflict issues, Never use 2 Software-Firewalls simultaneously on your PC.

Item (d)above:- When one uses any PC the installed Programs on that PC generate vast amounts of pollution

in the form of 'left-overs' which are supposed to be removed after the Programs' close down ~ wishful thinking !!

In fact these 'left-overs' are a major cause of erratic Computer performance such as 'slowdowns' and soft Registry

errors and generation of Orphan Files which often change your PC & Program settings and generally 'fragment' your HD.

To avoid regular Hard-Drive defragmentations use a good Clean-up Program such as IOBit or Advanced System-Care 3.

which is a free utility and works well. (see screenshot).

Moral of the Story is: PROTECT IT and KEEP IT CLEAN

Hope this helps...

Brian (Conflow)

post-1416-126418516284_thumb.gif

Another good thing to do once in awhile or just after setting up your new PC is to check all your various ports and services that may be wide-open and vulnerable on the internet.

I often check with Steve Gibsons ShieldsUP site to probe my PC ports for any changes they may result after time or from some update or whatever. If your running completely Stealth your doing AOK.

ShieldsUp

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Another good utility to have is Mailwasher Pro - this reads the emails (or the first so many lines) on your ISP's server before they are downloaded to your computer. Email is probably one of the biggest threats as simply opening a contaminated email is sufficient to infect your system. Mailwasher Pro checks against known spammers from world wide databases and marks up suspicious emails and you can delete them from the server before you even download them. You are also able to bounce the email back if you so wish (and hopefully spammers will receive hundreds if not thousands of instances of their bounced emails) so, if you are ever unfortunate enough to get put onto a database of email addresses which are sold onto spammers, then if they receive enough messages saying that yours is an invalid email address, you will be taken off future lists - but this can take months (if not years) to happen.

Hi,

Thanks all, particularly Peter and Brian (trust you've not had a stroke over this Brian! - been there, done that!).

I am conscious that once again I have hijacked somebodies thread but trust that there are others out there who may benefit from all of this.

I would like to bring this back to a more personal level though I totally recognize that you folks understandably may be cagey about giving specific advice and can't be expected to know all the features of different products.

Using Brian's summary of Peter's missive I think I comply with

a) Router-Firewall - Sky broadband router.

B) Software -Firewall - Windows XP Firwall

c) Anti-Virus Program - AVG9

d) Cleanup Program - Reg Cure

e) comply

However as I stated earlier I am also running Parato Logic's Privacy Controls (which cleans up cashe and internet history amongst other things) PLUS Parato's XSoft Spyware program. I suspect that those two may be a bit of overkill but can't be certain so would appreciate opinions. From looking further into AVG9 it appears to have a Spyware function so presumably I don't need Parato's program. However I'm not sure if Parato's Privacy Control Program doing anything for me?

Regarding RegCure I will probably replace that with IOBit which I take to be doing the same thing.

I'm not particularly trying to save money and do things on the cheap as I value security too highly for that, not to mention my stress levels, but there is no point in throwing it about unnecessarily.

Regards

John

John,

IOBit's Advanced System Care includes Spyware detection, elimination and immunisation plus cache/temporary/recycle file deletion and registry cleanup. It also offers suggestions as to which programs started as part of Windows boot-up/start-up might be unwanted - and a tool to turn them off.

I was put onto this software by Brian (Conflow) two or three years ago. I have not regretted getting it. It comes in two versions: ASC Personal (free) and ASC Pro (which costs). Being a Yorkshireman I elected to "buy" the free one. As a Scotsman you would naturally do the same!

regards,

Peter.

Thanks Brian for the IObit website tip. Currently trying their Smart Defrag. I've been looking for a real-time defragger (free of course), to replace Piriform'

s Defraggler, which I've used for some time. Haven't had the guts to use their registry cleaner in ASC...have used Eusings for several years without a problem.

Thanks again Brian for the tip.

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks Brian for the IObit website tip. Currently trying their Smart Defrag. I've been looking for a real-time defragger (free of course), to replace Piriform'

s Defraggler, which I've used for some time. Haven't had the guts to use their registry cleaner in ASC...have used Eusings for several years without a problem.

Thanks again Brian for the tip.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim,

Be careful about 3rd.party Defrag Utilities ~ IObit is quite safe as it has an 'Auto-Backup Utility' where others don't!!

Anyway your PC has its own (inbuilt) Defrag-Utility and the "attachment" shows you how to access and use it.

Brian (Conflow).

post-1416-126429412049_thumb.gif

Jim,

Be careful about 3rd.party Defrag Utilities ~ IObit is quite safe as it has an 'Auto-Backup Utility' where others don't!!

Anyway your PC has its own (inbuilt) Defrag-Utility and the "attachment" shows you how to access and use it.

Brian (Conflow).

You're correct Brian...but the 'Auto-Backup Utility' is in the ASC app, so if you only run IObit's Smart Defrag, it will not automatically backup, if I'm understanding their utilities correctly. I've been aware and used the MS defrag utility since the DOS days, but the real-time defrag of IObit's app is attractive. However, there are some horror stories in IObit's forums, and they don't seem to be responsive to some bugs posted by users. So maybe I cool my heels on Smart Defrag.

Cheers,

Jim

You're correct Brian...but the 'Auto-Backup Utility' is in the ASC app, so if you only run IObit's Smart Defrag, it will not automatically backup, if I'm understanding their utilities correctly. I've been aware and used the MS defrag utility since the DOS days, but the real-time defrag of IObit's app is attractive. However, there are some horror stories in IObit's forums, and they don't seem to be responsive to some bugs posted by users. So maybe I cool my heels on Smart Defrag.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim,

Smart decision ~ Iobit has been around for the past 7 years and we use it extensively in our Conflow Workshops but

we stop short at using their 'Smart Defrag' because its less than a year old and as you know all new Programs have

teething troubles. We have found the 'MS-Defrag Utility' to be the safest method so far and lord knows we have tried

many such Utilities in our quests to avoid complete HD-Reformat's. Personally I dont like using 'Smart-Defrags' when

a PC has an Op-System problem or a HD-problem. Smart-defrags only compound the problems in these circumstances.

Brian (Conflow)

Thanks everyone for your wonderful help. I am now setup with the following

-Router-Firewall - I did not know I even had this till i looked at the box on my phone line. It reads "Billon ADSL Router" and I thought it was just a modem. :rolleyes:

-Software Firewall - Windows Firewall

-Anti-Virus Program - Free AVG

-Cleanup Program - CClean

Thanks to your help I can now sleep at night. :D

Joanne