WnSoft Forums

web page shows...[Resolved]

trailertrash

Here I go again, with another tough question...sorry.

Is there a way to have an .exe file play from a web page?

That is to have some means of clicking on a button or icon perhaps that would activate and play the show. I know I would have to upload the .exe file to my web space and thats fine, I have plenty of

space and bandwidth allowance.

Is this possible from a P2E file?

[This would be the icing on the cake for me]

Andrew

Andrew

here is an early thread from 2009 to digest

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9301&st=0entry61081

i never saved anything later in my faq archives

from 2008

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8438&st=0entry54194

Ronnie had great success putting some demos up -- he converted to flv's

http://www.ronniewestdigital.co.uk/flash_index.html

Mary Warner also had success

http://www.mhwarner.com/index.html

they had to get an additional program to do it

so if you do a forum search for their threads you will be led into a new challenge :)

ken

Andrew:

I have four of my shows on VIMEO that I uploaded through PTE: CREATE > PUBLISH ON VIMEO

A website, for which I did the shows, have a link to the VIMEO location.

You can see how it works here

(I am not a techie, so I don't know the intricacies )

These, I must admit, are not all new shows.

They also have royalty-free music so there is no problem having them open to public viewing.

I have the VIMEO settings set to not allow download.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS: Eric

Some people don't want their shows on Beechbrook or Mediafire as they then lose control of their work because the AVs have to be downloaded from those sites. Believe me, it has happened to me with some of my shows ending up somewhere I never would have allowed.

But don't get me wrong I wholeheartedly support Beechbrook (and Mediafire) and the great shows that Bill gives us access to

Hi Andrew,

The basic answer is "no," you will not be able to run executable code from your website.

To run a PTE show it will need to be converted to Flash or AVI or MPEG or MP4 h.264 or some other video format. Web hosts will not let you run executable code on their servers. The only way you would ever be able to do this is to own your own server and believe me, that gets very expensive very quickly. The way to have people run your show as an executable is to zip it and upload to Beechbrook or your own site and provide a link. Of course you "could" use MediaFire or other service, but if you have the storage capacity it's just as easy to upload it to your own site. You just need FTP software and you will be able to access your web host's server where you will see the file structure. You create your own folders and upload to one of the folders. Then you provide a "link" for your viewers to click on which allows them to download your zipped executable file and play it on their system.

Good FTP software is available free. When you install the software on your computer, you will see your own hard drive tree on the left and when logged in on your host's server you will see their hard drive file structure which they have provided for you on their server on the right. You simply find the zip file on the left, navigate to where you want it to go on the right and click on the appropriate "send" and your own zip file gets uploaded to your web site. You then provide the link.

Let's say your zip file was called andrew1.zip and was on your C: drive in a folder called slideshows. It would then look like:

forandrew.jpg

You just find your file on the far left using the tree, then on the far right you create and navigate to the folder where you want it to go and then click on the "arrow" pointing to the right. To load a file from your web server to your own hard disk, you reverse the process by finding the file on the right and the folder where you want it to go on the left then click the arrow pointing to the left.

In the case I demonstrated above, I would give a link such as:

htt"p"://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/andrew/andrew1.jpg

The "P" would not be in quotes.

If it's "quality" of presentation you are looking for and you want your viewers to be able to run the show from your website, then about the best you will be able to do is MP4 h.264 at HD 1080p or 1600x1200 and upload to Youtube where it will be converted to high quality Flash. You can then embed the link on your website and when someone plays it it will appear to play on your own site even though it is actually being sent from Youtube.

If you want to purchase additional software, you can create high quality Flash shows and place them on your own website, but this is more difficult and much more expensive than just uploading to Youtube and embedding the link provided by Youtube in your own website.

Best regards,

Lin

Here I go again, with another tough question...sorry.

Is there a way to have an .exe file play from a web page?

That is to have some means of clicking on a button or icon perhaps that would activate and play the show. I know I would have to upload the .exe file to my web space and thats fine, I have plenty of

space and bandwidth allowance.

Is this possible from a P2E file?

[This would be the icing on the cake for me]

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

Lin has provided a very good answer for you so there is no need for me to add anything further that would help much.

I would say, however, that if you want to display a slide show in your own web space, you will need to convert to 'Flash' and that gets a little involved. It is not difficult but can be very time consuming. Have a look on my own web site for some inspiration: http://www.ronniewestdigital.co.uk/flash_index.html

Ron