WnSoft Forums

Monitor Display Properties

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I will be changing my hardware shortly, I am unsure of how my existing equipment will be catered for when I change. Assuming I go for W7 Professional 64bit, what size of display will I be able to cater for. My projector uses 1024x768, my new monitor will be 4-3. I have just checked the sizes in my XP Pro SP3 control panel. These increase from 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024 1400x1050 1600x1200 & 2048x1536. I assume it is something to do with the graphics card drivers? but would appreciate clarification before I take the plunge.

Yachtsman1. :unsure:

Eric

Graphics card - not the on board graphics -

will depend what your box builder and yourself agree on as to the output of the card - the card determines what it will do and you have to set it and the monitor

if i was doing it today the minimum woud be 512 mb ram on the board with the latest output 's

maybe DaveG or Lin could jump in here - Lin has put a link up re cards

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11047

think you are going to have a hardtime getting a 4:3 monitor -- i could not get one last year off the shelf -- maybe if i ordered

http://www.tomshardw.../2d-windows-gdi,2539.html

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Ken

Amazon UK still stock 4-3 monitors, I have one reserved in my wish list. The graphics card is a 1GB Asus/Nvidia clone, 1GB Asus NX 9600GT DDR3 with HDMi. Just checked with MS and 1024x768 is supported by W7.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Eric,

The W7 default/generic video driver may support 1024x768 as you say.

What you really need to find out is what Resolutions the Asus Video Card supports ( I assume your going to use the Asus drivers and not the generic W7 display drivers) and also what Resolutions the New Monitor supports. You also should find the Optimum Resolution of the Monitor so as to provide best/optimum performance in its overall resource usage.

Go to the equipment makers and download their PDF spec sheets that have all the details.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Nobeefstu

Can't find anything on this card on the Asus site, the details on Amazon are:

Product Description: ASUS EN9600GT/DI/1GD3 - graphics adapter - GF 9600 GT - 1 GB

Device Type: Graphics adapter

Enclosure Type: Plug-in card

Interface Type: PCI Express 2.0 x16

Graphics Processor / Vendor: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

Clock Speed: 600 MHz

API Supported: OpenGL, DirectX 10

Video Memory Installed ( Max ): 1 GB - DDR3 SDRAM

Video Output: 2560 x 1600

HDCP compatible: Yes

Microsoft Certification: Compatible with Windows 7

Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years warranty

Technical Details

Main Specifications

Product Description: ASUS EN9600GT/DI/1GD3 - graphics adapter - GF 9600 GT - 1 GB

Clock Speed: 600 MHz

Video Memory Installed ( Max ): 1 GB - DDR3 SDRAM

Video Output: 2560 x 1600

HDCP compatible: Yes

Extended Specifications

General

Expansion / Connectivity

Compatible Slots: 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16

Interfaces: 1 x DVI-I (dual link) - 29 pin combined DVI ¦ 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x HDMI - 19 pin HDMI Type A

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support: 3 years warranty

Service & Support Details: Limited warranty - 3 years

Miscellaneous

Cables Included: Audio (digital) cable

Software / System Requirements

Software Included: Drivers & Utilities

Processor / Memory

Technology: DDR3 SDRAM

Features: Nvidia SLI Multi-GPU Technology, ASUS Video Security Online, ASUS Splendid Video Enhancing Technology, ASUS SmartDoctor, Ultimate Armaments, ASUS GamerOSD, Nvidia CUDA technology, Nvidia PureVideo HD technology, Nvidia PhysX-Ready

Memory Clock Speed: 1.8 GHz

Video Memory Installed: 1 GB

Video Output

Max Resolution (external): 2560 x 1600

Digital Video Standard: Digital Visual Interface (DVI), High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)

which I'm not sure is the answer to your question, the monitor is an Acer which supports W7 HDMI & VGA input ??? The card has been selected on the basis of fitting the cube housing, motherboard etc.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

I really dont have any questions as to your selection of equipment ... all Im doing is informing you to read and collect all specs available so you know well beforehand of what Resolutions the equipment supports to meet your selection uses and needs.

I have no doubt that the Video Card and Monitor supports 1024x768 ... however its less likely the newer the LCD Monitor is its not going to have a 1024x768 optimal/native resolution. Things today are geared for higher native resolutions where in return you get the best performance. LCD screens (even TVs) perform their best at optimal/native settings. This optimal issue does not affect CRT screens.

Here a little info to start with:

Native resolution: Wikipedi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Nobeefstu

I don't expect to view the monitor at 1024x768, it's the projector that needs that res to project.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Amazon monitor spec

Acer V193ABd 19 inch Square TFT LCD

Graphics Type: SXGA

Contrast Ratio: 10000:1

Brightness 300 cd/m2

Resolution 1280x1024

Product Description: Acer V193Abd - LCD display - TFT - 19"

Device Type: LCD display / TFT active matrix

Colour: Black

Dimensions (WxDxH): 40.8 cm x 18 cm x 40.7 cm

Weight: 3.9 kg

Diagonal Size: 19"

Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch: 0.294 mm

Max Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Display Positions Adjustments: Swivel, tilt

Colour support: 24-bit (16.7 million colours)

Response Time: 5 ms

Image Brightness: 300 cd/m2

Image Contrast Ratio: 10000:1 (dynamic)

Digital Video Standard: Digital Visual Interface (DVI)

Signal Input: DVI-D, VGA

Compliant Standards: TCO '03, FCC Class B certified, CE, UL, TUV GS, VCCI, C-Tick, ISO 9241-3, ISO 9241-8, ISO 9241-7, cUL, ISO 13406-2, WHQL

Power: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Power Consumption Operational: 38.5 Watt

Environmental Standards: ENERGY STAR Qualified

Technical Details

Main Specifications

Product Description: Acer V193Abd - LCD display - TFT - 19"

Device Type: LCD display / TFT active matrix

Colour: Black

Dimensions (WxDxH): 40.8 cm x 18 cm x 40.7 cm

Display Positions Adjustments: Swivel, tilt

Signal Input: DVI-D, VGA

Compliant Standards: TCO '03, FCC Class B certified, CE, UL, TUV GS, VCCI, C-Tick, ISO 9241-3, ISO 9241-8, ISO 9241-7, cUL, ISO 13406-2, WHQL

Power: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Environmental Standards: ENERGY STAR Qualified

Extended Specifications

General

Width: 40.8 cm

Depth: 18 cm

Height: 40.7 cm

Enclosure Colour: Black

Display Type: LCD display / TFT active matrix

Expansion / Connectivity

Interfaces: 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x DVI-D - 24 pin digital DVI

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support: 3 years warranty

Service & Support Details: Limited warranty - 3 years

Miscellaneous

Features: Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately), wall mountable

Flat Panel Mount Interface: 100 x 100 mm

MTBF: 50,000 hour(s)

Power

Form Factor: Internal

Voltage Required: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Power Consumption Stand by / Sleep: 1.5 Watt

Display

Features: Six Lamps for Back Light, Acer Adaptive Contrast Management (ACM)

Max Sync Rate (V x H): 75 Hz x 80 kHz

Image Max H-View Angle: 176

Image Max V-View Angle: 176

Video Input

Analogue video Signal: RGB

Dave,

I find it interesting to read up on the knowledgebase available out there ... but Ive never ventured into multi-monitor setups to convey any first-hand experience. I do know there is several ways and means to achieve different resolution outputs depending on the available hardware and graphic adapter design, but also know many configurations or setups used have pitfalls and limitations when it comes to sharing resources and applications requiring 3D modes.

Maybe this article from Wikipedia can help to basically inform you about the application setup and complications involved :

Multi-monitor - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-monitor

Eric

I have not read all of this thread, forgive me that, but am I right in thinking your going to put a 4:3 screen on your new computer system.

Why are you staying with that format and resisting a move to 16:10 perhaps. The reason for asking was that I had the self same debate with myself about 18 months ago, but now, after working with a Dell 27in you would not get me back to a 4:3 for any money, yet I was very unsure at the outset.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Barry

Space & preference is the short answer. I don't have room for a large monitor, 19inch is a bonus I can accommodate. Preference, I have a widescreen laptop as well as the one I have used for the last 3 years and much prefer the 4-3 format. My screen sits within 600mm of my eyes and creates less eye strain than the 16-9 machine & displays a larger picture area. 16-10 I haven't experienced but as there is little difference to 16-9 I am staying with what I prefer & know. Finally I wear varifocal spectacles and focussing on the wide screen creates more head movement which exacerbates my vertigo. I am not advocating everyone should go this route, it just suits me.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

OK I understand all that. just thought it was a shame to upgrade and buy something you might regret later.I have gone from being unsure to completely sold, but you do need them further away if they are large. Mine must be 24 inches from me and does need a fait bit of space. It was the format rather than the size that caught my eye.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi All

Another point that is bugging me in my search for the best system to suit my needs, what is the difference between DVI & HDMI. I know the connections are different, but is there a difference in their function?

Yachtsman1

Sorry guys, done it again, should have looked myself before asking, this is what Wikipedia says:

HDMI supports, on a single cable, any TV or PC video format, including standard, enhanced, and high-definition video; up to 8 channels of digital audio; and a Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) connection. The CEC allows HDMI devices to control each other when necessary and allows the user to operate multiple devices with one remote control handset.[2] Because HDMI is electrically compatible with the signals used by Digital Visual Interface (DVI), no signal conversion is necessary, nor is there a loss of video quality when a DVI-to-HDMI adapter is used.[3] As an uncompressed connection, HDMI is independent of the various digital television standards used by individual devices, such as ATSC and DVB, as these are encapsulations of compressed MPEG video streams (which can be decoded and output as an uncompressed video stream on HDMI).