WnSoft Forums

Finding the 'Desktop' in the Folder window...

Greetings,

Sometimes I want find some image files on the Desktop when I am in the Folders window. If I am in the C:\ folder listing, and I click on the 'One Level Up', I expect to be able to see the Desktop in the listing. However, nothing happens.

I have to then click on the 'Open My document' icon and then go back and click on the "One Level Up' to see the Desktop (and the other folder items that appear when I had previously clicked on 'Open My documents' icon).

Having these extra steps to get to the Desktop does not make sense to me. I think that a user should be able to just click on 'One Level Up' to get to the Desktop and the other folder listings from the C:\ icon. Or...put in a "Desktop" icon next to the C:\, D:\, etc.

I see that after you click on 'Open My documents', you can click on the '..' and the resulting listing will include the Desktop, but this too is not an obvious way to find the Desktop. Also, in my Windows7, my 'Documents' folder is under 'Desktop/Library' folder. So it makes even more sense for the 'One Level Up' to go directly to the Desktop and, from there, I can browse to the 'Documents' folder, if I need to.

I know you can right-click and get to the Explorer, but that does not do what is needed.

Thanks... Gary

P.S. I am using 6.0.4.

Gary,

In the folder tree panel simply scroll down - and there's "Desktop". What could be simpler?

regards,

Peter

==============

Peter,

I don't see what what you mean. Scrolling down in any of the folder tree panel views does not give me the 'Desktop'. Can you be more specific? I have fiddled with just about every possibility but I don't see a 'simple' way to view the Desktop without a bunch of keystrokes. Maybe my Windows7 works differently from your OS? If you have clicked on the C:\ icon, does a subsequent click on the 'One Level Up' icon do anything???

It does not make sense to have to click on the 'Open My documents' icon and then the '..' or back to the 'One Level Up' icon to get to the Desktop.

Gary

Gary,

See the attached screen-grab. The second item up the tree from the bottom is Desktop.

regards,

Peter

==================

Peter,

Thanks for the screenshot. Interesting. When I look at my listing, it only shows the folders in C:\ (down to the Xilisoft folder). But no drives or Desktop. So I must have something set differently from your settings.

So, I went into 'View' and clicked on 'Show Tree'. Ok...I get the full tree listing with all my drives and Desktop, etc. (down to the Xilisoft folder plus the drives and Desktop). Great. But...it keeps the other first file listing too. How can I get rid of the first one listing and keep the second one, so it looks like yours???

Take a look at my attachment. You will see the 2 listings. The one on the right shows what I usually get; only the folders in C:\. The file listing on the left shows what I get when I click on 'Show Tree'. How do I get it to look like your single list of files and drive and the Desktop?

Thanks... Gary

post-1794-126756839426_thumb.jpg

Gary,

It appears you are currently using the Classic View or some variation. Play with the View Settings under the Classic View as shown in the attached image.

You have user options to set Horizontal, Vertical, etc Views and the File Panel and Slide List settings as how you wish to display.

Select the View settings and adjust the panel displays to suit and tailor to your needs.

Any folder you select in Tree panel view will show the folder(s) contents in the File Panel view.

post-45-126757113166_thumb.jpg

Gary,

It appears you are currently using the Classic View or some variation. Play with the View Settings under the Classic View as shown in the attached image.

You have user options to set Horizontal, Vertical, etc Views and the File Panel and Slide List settings as how you wish to display.

Select the View settings and adjust the panel displays to suit and tailor to your needs.

Any folder you select in Tree panel view will show the folder(s) contents in the File Panel view.

=======================

Greetings,

I have tried your settings. What I don't like is that 'Show Tree' inserts a second window that takes up space. I don't see why we can't just get the full file/folder listing without the second window. I now see that Peter had the 'Show Tree' checked, so he also had both file panels opened.

It seems logical for me that when you have the C:\ chosen (without Show Tree checked), that you should be able to click on 'One Level Up' and get the Desktop. Or, we should be able to get the entire hard drive's file/folder listing in file panel. The 'Show Tree' takes up too much monitor space.

I now see what I have to do to get to the Desktop (without using 'Show Tree'), but I don't think it is user-friendly or intuitive.

Thanks...Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Gary

I assume you know you can drag those colunms sideways to adjust their width. This allows you to adjust your on screen info to whatever you are working on.

Regards eric

Yachtsman1

post-5560-126760199533_thumb.jpg

post-5560-126760202922_thumb.jpg

Gary,

I think the best approach to resolve your quick access to the Desktop ... is for PTE GUI to add/have a Desktop icon image (beside the other folder icon images) for quick access to the desktop files no matter if the folder tree is visible or not. This would offer instant access no matter what position one may be currently selected in the Tree view panel or File view panel.

See attached image.

post-45-126761575986_thumb.jpg

Gary,

I think the best approach to resolve your quick access to the Desktop ... is for PTE GUI to add/have a Desktop icon image (beside the other folder icon images) for quick access to the desktop files no matter if the folder tree is visible or not. This would offer instant access no matter what position one may be currently selected in the Tree view panel or File view panel.

See attached image.

============================

Yachtsman1... Yes, but there are limitations on how small you can make them. I'd rather not have the second file panel taking up any space at all. I just need a quicker way to get to the Desktop.

Thanks...Gary

Nobeefstu... Bingo!!! I think that just adding an icon for the Desktop would be very useful and a simple way of addressing the problem. It would not change the current setup but would add functionality. I hope Igor is listening.

Thanks... Gary

There seems to have been some confusion about the difference between the Folder Tree (display is optional) and the File List (which I would like to be optional, but we're stuck with it).

Nevertheless, may I suggest that a far more general facility would be the ability to drag-and-drop images from outside PTE ... for example, from the desktop, or from another open application.

Please?

Ken T