WnSoft Forums

BACKUP ZIP IMPOSSIBLE!

orizaba

Hi Ken,

Dat File = Pte File ? ~ Ken it was never given an official 'File of Type' name even before V4.41 right up to V5.6 but it

performs somewhat like a .dat File, except that its an instruction-set. Open it with Notepad and you will find the entire

instruction-set to run the Slideshow right down to the numeric-identification of each Slide and where it is and how its

reproduced and with/without sound,etc; etc. (Its also great to tell you where the Photos used to be).

The GUID Number= Global Unique Identifier Number which is an 'stamp' of a unique set of circumstances & settings

which are created at a certain point in time. (Computer generated but never duplicated).

In my example (below) with 15 Photos with 1.Sound-Track its = 36.8 Kb, take out the Photos/Music and its 15.Kb where

each (prior) 'photo-position' seems to have a residual 1.Kb Template ~ showing a missing Photo but existing 'template'.

Thats the best explaination I can give you ~ its also why I call it a .dat File in the absence of a 'File of Type' name.

Brian.

post-1416-127093448252_thumb.gif

Jose,

Just a quick Note for you:- Quote..."At last, this "humor" about PTE tending to remember the last folder used"...

This is a genuine fact, many 'Multi-Media Players' and 'Photo-Editor Programs' including PTE actually remember the last

File opened. This is intended to be a user-convenience when working on a Project with interruptions. It simply lets you

get back to work where you left off ~ personally I find it an inconvenience, but then we cant satisfy everyone.

Brian (Conflow)

Ken,

That's true ~ but that File never had an official 'File of Type' classification which would indicate its

International-purpose. The name .Pte would not indicate to anyone its 'specific' PC purpose except

to some Pte-Users ~ but the vast majority hardly know it exists never mind what it does !!

When I am explaining about it I always use an 'identification-arrow' to clearly identify it and then explain

it purpose in words which users can understand. Most people know about Word,Notepad,Paint,Command

prompt etc; and they instinctively know that .dat is something to do with PC-Operands.

Go to any Editor-Program and pull out the .dat-File and it wont work no more ~ this is exactly what happens

with PTE. So in the absence of any other explaination or identifier I use the nearest analogy which is .dat-File

(That is until someone comes up with a proper 'File of Type' identifier)

Also .dat-File is grossly misused whereas some times its a 'simple-note' other times its an 'Instruction-record'

and at time its a 'Log-File' and it can be an 'Instruction-set' like in PTE.

(The Guy in the attachment says it all)....

Brian.

post-1416-127093949181_thumb.gif

Ken,

(Understood)

But he has already replied and has been on to me and he know exactly what it

is,and knows what it does ~ and how important it is in the PTE-Slideshow setup.

I really wish someone would make a Tutorial about that "vital" .pte/.dat-File

and in particular how it controls all set-up aspects of the PTE-Program and

hopefully other PTE users would become familiar with it and appreciate its

importance both from the 'Fault-finding' aspect and 'Lost-Files' problems

which come up with regular monotony. I simply dont have the time to do it.

Heavens knows, I have given enough information here for someone to do it.

Brian.

Brian

with the problems Jose is having understanding things, he possibly will hunt all over for "dat"

so the best way to ID it IMHO is pte

kis principleph34r.gif

nite nitebiggrin.gif

ken

Hi Ken,

I only wish to joke a little bit with your statement "...problems Jose is having understanding things..."

Because, may I note, Jose understood "Dat file = PTE file" before you, Ken (as per my reply to Brian dated yesterday 11:44 PM)!

Of course, I am only joking, as I know that you only wished to help me!

Again, thanks to you, and all of you who are always available to help PTE juniors like myself (by the way, 69 years old...!)

Jose

I have been reading this topic with interest, but with decreasing interest. I have resisted the temptation to throw in my "two-pennyworth". May I offer just one thought.

Windows allows the user to see file names WITH or WITHOUT the file extension. In my opinion, ANY user is better off seeing the file name WITH extension. MYTRIP.PTE is far clearer than MYTRIP as an identification of a file. Why hide the extension? It gives at least a clue as to file type. I absolutely abhor file listings which do not show the file extension - they can be confusing and/or misleading.

As an example, consider a Panasonic Lumix digital camera that allows a sound comment to be recorded with each image. The image file P1010123.JPG is accompanied by a sound file P1010123.MOV - the first part of those names shows that they correspond, and the second part - the extension - shows which is which. Yet if a file listing does not show file extensions, both files would appear to have the same name. That, in my view, is asking for big trouble!

Here is one opinion on the matter: http://www.granneman.com/techinfo/windows/showextensions/

So I would nominate it as a GOLDEN RULE -- think of any file in terms of name.extension (e.g. MYTRIP.PTE). If this golden rule is followed, there would be no chance of thinking that a .PTE file is a .DAT file.

I sincerely hope some members (especially Jose) get some value from my comment.

Ken T.

I have been reading this topic with interest, but with decreasing interest. I have resisted the temptation to throw in my "two-pennyworth". May I offer just one thought.

Windows allows the user to see file names WITH or WITHOUT the file extension. In my opinion, ANY user is better off seeing the file name WITH extension. MYTRIP.PTE is far clearer than MYTRIP as an identification of a file. Why hide the extension? It gives at least a clue as to file type. I absolutely abhor file listings which do not show the file extension - they can be confusing and/or misleading.

As an example, consider a Panasonic Lumix digital camera that allows a sound comment to be recorded with each image. The image file P1010123.JPG is accompanied by a sound file P1010123.MOV - the first part of those names shows that they correspond, and the second part - the extension - shows which is which. Yet if a file listing does not show file extensions, both files would appear to have the same name. That, in my view, is asking for big trouble!

Here is one opinion on the matter: http://www.granneman.com/techinfo/windows/showextensions/

So I would nominate it as a GOLDEN RULE -- think of any file in terms of name.extension (e.g. MYTRIP.PTE). If this golden rule is followed, there would be no chance of thinking that a .PTE file is a .DAT file.

I sincerely hope some members (especially Jose) get some value from my comment.

Ken T.

Hi Ken,

Thanks to your comments specially "dedicated" to me, who knows why, because I agree with you 100% and I never would think working with hidden extensions. What could make you think that my problems have something to do with hidden files or "annonimous" - DAT - files? The theory of calling PTE a DAT file is from Brian and he has, for sure, his reasons, but I always called PTE file.

Thanks and regards,

Jose

Hi Ken,

Thanks to your comments specially "dedicated" to me, who knows why, because I agree with you 100% and I never would think working with hidden extensions. What could make you think that my problems have something to do with hidden files or "annonimous" - DAT - files? The theory of calling PTE a DAT file is from Brian and he has, for sure, his reasons, but I always called PTE file.

Thanks and regards,

Jose

Hello Jose ...

I'm glad you have the same approach to file names as I do.

I apologise if I made any wrong assumptions as to how people work. It really was because Brian's carefully documented screen shots were lacking file extensions. He is much more experienced with PTE than I am, so I guessed if that's how he works, possibly others who are less experienced work the same way.

We all have our own golden rules, don't we? What's golden to one may not be so golden to another!!!

Nice to be in touch and in tune ...

Regards from Down Under

Ken T.

Hi Guys,

I had considered not replying to the last few Posts, but in the interests of putting the records straight I thought

I had better reply.

1)

There is not one example in my Screenshots where I called the .Pte-File a Dat-File ~ what you did see was my

"Saved-As" File Name = "Test-IV" which I call a Dat-File because it mimics my PTE.Exe Filename = "Test-IV"

as per the Microsoft File-Naming Convention: Dat should always refer to Application.(Look it up on Google).

2)

Ken proposed the (but) theory as: ~.Pte =.Dat?? ~ to which I replied and others jumped in to 'Kill the Messenger'.

3)

If you simple use the "Save" command the PTE-Program defaults to ".Pte File" which means that you have not

given your 'Project-in-Hand' a proper Filename and so you run the risk of loosing it in certain circumstances.

4)

When on this Forum I use the "View" attribute as 'List' so to keep things simple as I'm ever mindful that there are

some +500 Members here from raw novice to expert ~ others should consider that !!

5)

As most users know:- You can change the "View" attributes from 'List' to 'Details' when you want 'Full-File' details.

I simply cant understand all this 'nit-picking' about FileNames and Extensions as most users dont even use the proper

'Alpha-Numeric' method in the 1st. place, for example:-

Whats the use of a Number-Column when you want to see a particular Photo in the middle of a Video-Conference??...

Enough said,

Brian (Conflow)

post-1416-127099952489_thumb.gif

post-1416-127099953453_thumb.gif

Hi Guys,

I had considered not replying to the last few Posts, but in the interests of putting the records straight I thought

I had better reply.

1)

There is not one example in my Screenshots where I called the .Pte-File a Dat-File ~ what you did see was my

"Saved-As" File Name = "Test-IV" which I call a Dat-File because it mimics my PTE.Exe Filename = "Test-IV"

as per the Microsoft File-Naming Convention: Dat should always refer to Application.(Look it up on Google).

2)

Ken proposed the (but) theory as: ~.Pte =.Dat?? ~ to which I replied and others jumped in to 'Kill the Messenger'.

3)

If you simple use the "Save" command the PTE-Program defaults to ".Pte File" which means that you have not

given your 'Project-in-Hand' a proper Filename and so you run the risk of loosing it in certain circumstances.

4)

When on this Forum I use the "View" attribute as 'List' so to keep things simple as I'm ever mindful that there are

some +500 Members here from raw novice to expert ~ others should consider that !!

5)

As most users know:- You can change the "View" attributes from 'List' to 'Details' when you want 'Full-File' details.

I simply cant understand all this 'nit-picking' about FileNames and Extensions as most users dont even use the proper

'Alpha-Numeric' method in the 1st. place, for example:-

Whats the use of a Number-Column when you want to see a particular Photo in the middle of a Video-Conference??...

Enough said,

Brian (Conflow)

With respect, I think you are wrong on two counts.

Firstly, you appear to have your own meaning of the term "File extension". Throughout the life of Windows (and DOS before that), "extension" has meant the part of the name after the dot -- e.g. the ".PTE" part of "MYNAME.PTE". It does not mean the extra info that makes Detail View different from List View. Neither of your screen shots in the previous post shows file extensions.

For the benefit of anyone who is unaware, both Detail View and List View can show file names with or without the extension. See Folder Options, View tab, "Hide extensions for known file types". I very strongly advise NO TICK on that item.

Secondly, point (3) ... On a new project, the first "Save" behaves the same as "Save As". Whether you use Save or Save As on a new project, you can change the file name and/or extension from the default PROJECTNAM.PTE to whatever you want.

It's all very well to say "Enough said" -- but let's get it right first!

Cheers and Best Wishes to all

Ken T.

With respect, I think you are wrong on two counts.

Firstly, you appear to have your own meaning of the term "File extension". Throughout the life of Windows (and DOS before that), "extension" has meant the part of the name after the dot -- e.g. the ".PTE" part of "MYNAME.PTE". It does not mean the extra info that makes Detail View different from List View. Neither of your screen shots in the previous post shows file extensions.

For the benefit of anyone who is unaware, both Detail View and List View can show file names with or without the extension. See Folder Options, View tab, "Hide extensions for known file types". I very strongly advise NO TICK on that item.

Secondly, point (3) ... On a new project, the first "Save" behaves the same as "Save As". Whether you use Save or Save As on a new project, you can change the file name and/or extension from the default PROJECTNAM.PTE to whatever you want.

It's all very well to say "Enough said" -- but let's get it right first!

Cheers and Best Wishes to all

Ken T.

Ken T,

I assume you are responding to my previous Post above...

You wrote,quote:

"With respect, I think you are wrong on two counts.

Firstly, you appear to have your own meaning of the term "File extension". Throughout the life of Windows (and DOS before that), "extension" has meant the part

of the name after the dot -- e.g. the ".PTE" part of "MYNAME.PTE". It does not mean the extra info that makes Detail View different from List View.

A)

I did not in any way allude to what you have written above, that was conjecture on your part. Anyone who has been here through Dos & Windows knows that fact

as you have stated above. I was referring to my (dot) .Test-IV compared to (dot) .Pte the latter of which goes contra to ~ Microsofts File-Naming convention,viz:-

.Dat should always refer to Application Name (ie:-The Slideshow Exe-Name) ~ Then who am I to say Microsoft is wrong ?

Neither of your screen shots in the previous post shows file extensions.

A)

I choose not to do so in the interests of 'demonstration simplicity' which I have already stated in my previous Post.

For the benefit of anyone who is unaware, both Detail View and List View can show file names with or without the extension.

A)

I do believe that I have already demonstrated that fact prior to your explaination above ~ whats the point of this re-statement?

See Folder Options, View tab, "Hide extensions for known file types". I very strongly advise NO TICK on that item.

A)

In my opinion,thats a personal choice of the PC-User and whether they choose to have a 'cluttered' Play-List in their PTE-Folder or not.

Secondly, point (3) On a new project, the first "Save" behaves the same as "Save As". Whether you use Save or Save As on a new project, you can

change the file name and/or extension from the default PROJECTNAM.PTE to whatever you want.

A)

As I have already demonstrated ~ it would be better to remind PTE-Users to give their Project a 'Name' from the very outset using-->File-->'Save As'

rather than make a later correction which may not correspond to the Slideshow-Name and consequently its lost. (How often has that happened here).

Ken, In my opinion you are ~ 'Reading what you want to see' ~ rather than the spirit of 'Help offered' by me and others to those in trouble (Kis principle).

Brian (Conflow)

Jose,

I also use 'Multiple-PC's as you do and for the exact same purpose ~ when I am away I cant bring my Workshop with

me so I bring my Laptop instead. Because of this I had to find a solution to manage 'Duplex-Files' ~ here are some Notes:-

To do this I created a 'Library Folder' on the HD of my Main-PC ~ its called "Library" and there is an an exact copy of that

on my Laptop. Within "Library" are all current PTE-Projects each in its own 'Named-Folder' containing the entire contents

for each Show including the Dat.File (thats important).

To work on any Project-Folder on -another- Laptop or PC open the Attachment: Jose-04 below...

* Use the SD-Card (Memory-Pen) as an External HD on the (remote) Laptop or PC, dont Load it just open it.

* As you progress with the Work remember to use "Save As" as often as you make changes. This updates the Dat.File.

* When finished your work on the (remote) Laptop/PC, give the Folder a New-Name,eg: "Test-V".

* When back Home insert the SD-card into your Main-PC and use it as an External-HD ~ dont Load it just open it.

* Compare the 'Old-Folder Test-IV' against the 'New SD-Folder Test-V' keep working on the SD-Card Folder.

* When satisfied delete the 'Old-Folder' and load the 'New SD-Folder' into its place. Click .Dat to open.

* Proceed to make your Exe.File which is your Slideshow.

You can do this with any Memory-Pen or SD-Card running on your Main-PC. Simply click-on the Dat-File in any Folder

on any Drive and PTE will open it into its Main-Program Window. Furthermore you can make adjustments in any Show-Folder

provided you always use "Save As" as often as necessary after changes to update the Dat-File.

This is the fastest and safest way of 'Remote-Folder Management' in Duplex-operations on Remote-PCs as you always have

the 'Original-Folder +dat-File' on Main-PC and you always have the 'Remote-Folder +dat-File' on the SD-Card which is never

a 'Slave' to your Main-HD such as your *E:Drive ~ consequently you can compare similar Folders on the Screen and still open

those independently in PTE without fear of ambiguity which is your current problem.

Sounds complicated, but its not, and it cuts out all the Saving and Copying and Key-bashing and 'same-name' conflicts.

Brian (Conflow)

Hi Brian,

Sorry to interrupt your discussion about "interpretations..."

In the meantime I am already working (in my main computer at home) following your above indications and I think I've got it OK!

I am using a PEN as external HD.

I already solved problem of BACKUPs.

Only a question: what do you mean by "Compare the 'Old-Folder Test-IV' against the 'New SD-Folder Test-V'"? What kind of comparison? Just look at both or what? Because, after working on PEN during weekend, and after going on working on PEN at home, you say to delete old folder (at home) and load new folder (from PEN) in the main computer at home. After this "replacement" I can go again to weekend with my PEN. So, what for, such comparison? Anyway, how?

Sorry to take some more of your time and thanks.

Jose

Jose,

You wrote:Quote-

Answers in between:

"In the meantime I am already working (in my main computer at home) following your above indications

and I think I've got it OK! I am using a PEN as external HD.I already solved problem of BACKUPs".

A)

Jose thats good News indeed and I'm sure you must find the "Pen-Method" less complicated and much more

reassuring knowing that you always have your 'Old-File' as a reference in case of lost Project.

Also now that you have the 'backup-problem' solved its a simple matter of trying it out a few times until you

are confident it all works to your satisfaction.

Only a question: what do you mean by "Compare the 'Old-Folder Test-IV' against the 'New SD-Folder Test-V'"?

A)

Jose I was using that for a comparison purpose ~ lets change a few words and make reference to your Project.

You brought on vacation a copy of a project,example:- "Jose-01" this was on your Mem-Pen and during the

vacation you either copied "Jose-01" to your Laptop/PC or worked on the Mem-Pen. This has become modified

and so its no longer "Jose-01" so give it a new name "Jose-02" Now keep working on 'Jose-02' until you are

satisfied. Now put 'Jose-02' back on the Mem-Pen and on your return Home load that on to your Main PC.

Now you have 'Jose-01' and 'Jose-02' on the PC and you can compare the "running-performance" of both Files.

You can continue re-editing "Jose-02" and check its 'running-performance' until its to your satisfaction.

When finished, make your "Jose-Slideshow Exe" and save the (old) 'Jose-01' to CD or delete it as its obselete.

In this example: We always have the Original-File unmodified and the 'New-File' for performance comparison.

(This is a standard technique,eg:- You may be using PTE.V6 but IGOR is already working on PTE.V6x

I hope this answers your concerns as its a technique most engineers use when away from base..

Brian (Conflow)

Hi Brian,

OK, I've got it! Thanks.

I already suspected that such comparison was only "a way of saying", like you detailed, just to "judge" about "quality" of project development. OK.

At last: this "PEN method" of yours is really a good method to work on multiple computers as it is our case, and it is not complicated at all. Besides, it avoids the necessity of Backup/Restore operations, which, ironically, was the starting problem of all this discussion. Life is full of surprises...!

Thanks again for your time.

Regards,

Jose