WnSoft Forums

100 shows on CD

boxig

"All_Exe"

Basically you can put unlimited number of shows on your CD but I tested it only with 100 shows and it worked great. I included autorun.inf to open the utility. You will see a list of all shows - select any and it will run.

Please read the "Readme" file to see other options.

The utility is free as it is.

Download program No. 126.

Thanks

Granot :P

claire,

Put the "autorun.inf" which is included in the zip in the root of the CD together with the utility "All_Exe.exe" and your shows.

Before you make a CD try in a folder:

Put your shows (exe's) in a new folder, add the utility, then run the utility.

If something not clear - ask again.

Granot

Another kudo to you Granot. This little gem works slick.

Only caution I might suggest is, when running from CD, click show only once and be patient. Just for fun, I clicked away and had about six or eight shows running at once. Surprisingly, I was able to escape one-by-one and ended up with a single PTE show runnning and your All_Exe also still running properly! :o

Thanks Robert, your comment was on place, so I added a message on opening telling user to click only once and wait. I uploaded the modified file.

On my computer files are opened only once, unless you jump from one show to another, which you probably won't do now that a message telling you to wait.

Thanks

Granot

I must be quite thick as I still don't understand.... :o

What do you mean exactly by this...

[Put the "autorun.inf" which is included in the zip in the root of the CD together with the utility "All_Exe.exe" and your shows.

]

I have an 'autorun.inf' file which is named after the main show that I want to show clients but I also want them to see the other 2/3 .exe. files on the CD.

What do you mean by 'utility'????

clair,

Since the standard "autorun.inf" can open only one file we use this utility through which you can choose which exe to open. The "autorun.inf" in the zip will open the utility only. When the utility will run you will see the list of all exe files on your CD (do not use folders on CD !). Then you choose a file from the list and the utility will run it.

I hope that's more clear.

Granot

What do you mean by 'utility'????

Claire,

A "utility" is a little program which is designed to carry out certain functions like saving a file, opening a program, changing an image, etc. Granot's website is full of them, and he comes out with one ever other day (must have a utililitizer in his basement! :) The file, "All_Exe.exe", is one of them. You have to download it first, (#126), and then include it on the CD.

Oh Granot -

Yes, I had previously viewed the "secret" under Alt-N. But the new-expanded-updated-intensified secret is even better. I think that is a fine added feature. I had silently thought - if I were going to use your utility to distribute PTE shows to a friend, lack of such a feature would be a drawback. So with your latest brain wave addition, I am pleased. I may even have to consider sending some $ if you want to email me how much would be appropriate for the expanded custom version.

Meanwhile - I have found either a bug, or an unexpected behavior. Here goes: I ran All_EXE in a folder on my hard drive. Folder contains about 30 shows. Your program brings them up in alphabetic order. BUT, when I then add new shows to the same folder, and re-run All_EXE, it always lists the added shows last. Changing the new shows names, re-sorting with explorer, etc. does not solve. Does this have to do with some kind of cache that your program creates the first time it runs? It would seem to be much better to have subsequently-added shows to be included in the next alpha sort.

BUT, when I then add new shows to the same folder, and re-run All_EXE, it always lists the added shows last. Changing the new shows names, re-sorting with explorer, etc. does not solve.

I like comments like this :o

Give me something to do :D

It seems like Explorer (or whatever) remembers the order of files put in a folder and the program will list the files by this order. Whatever change you will make in the folder, the initial order will be remembered :(

Here is the simple way to overcome this:

1) Make a new folder.

2) Copy your shows and paste to this new folder one by one in the order you want them to appear on the program list.

3) Add the "All_Exe.exe" and "autorun.inf" to the folder.

4) Make a test (run the utility).

5) Burn CD.

Any change you want to do later, like adding new files, will force you to run all the above steps again in a new fresh folder.

consider sending some $ if you want to email me how much would be appropriate for the expanded custom version.

Any Donation done on this page will be fine. ;)

Thanks for your feedback, I added this instructions to the Readme.

Hope this will work now.

Please let me know,

Granot

I like comments like this :o

Give me something to do :D

It seems like Explorer (or whatever) remembers the order of files put in a folder and the program will list the files by this order. Whatever change you will make in the folder, the initial order will be remembered :(

Here is the simple way to overcome this:

1) Make a new folder.

2) Copy your shows and paste to this new folder one by one in the order you want them to appear on the program list.

3) Add the "All_Exe.exe" and "autorun.inf" to the folder.

4) Make a test (run the utility).

5) Burn CD.

Please let me know,

Granot

I think there may be a better solution to this. Maybe we need to call for help from some of our other out-of-the-box thinkers. Bill? Nobeefstu? Al? Others?

There must be a way to overcome such a simple solution. Simple becomes tedious when working with even 20 files, let alone the 100 or so that your program can otherwise handle so well.

Anyone up to the challenge to really solve this one? :huh:

Granot,

I find that when I add a file to a folder in Windows, it first appears at the bottom of the list in Explorer.

However, when I close Explorer, or move to another folder, and then re-open the folder containing the new files, they show up in the correct alphabetical order, the way you would want them to do. Am I missing something? :unsure:

Robert,

I found the simple solution and works on HD :D

I don't know what will happen when run from CD :(

1) Copy all the file you want to a temporary folder.

2) Add a bonus exe file which you don't want to include with name start with zzz so it will be last one.

3) Close and open the folder, now all files in order (as AL said).

3.1) Make a new folder. Cut all files from the first folder to the second.

4) Add "All_Exe" and run it. You should see all files in order.

5) Close "All_Exe"

6) Delete the bonus file.

7) Run "All_Exe" again.

3.1 - was added after few tests. If you take files from many folders then while in first temp file they will be re-arranged. When copy to second temp folder they are beeing inserted in order.

I made few more tests and it is more simple then the above:

All you have to do is first put all files in Temp1 folder. Then (Close/Open folder) cut and put in Temp2. Then (Close/Open folder) cut and put in Temp3 if still needed. (in this way skip the bonus file)

Let me know if it works on yours.

Al,

You are missing nothing and you are right, but somewhere, someone, inside the machine is still remembering the order of inseting the files to the folder.

Someone in this forum will pop-up sooner or later and explain us exactly how it works so we can find a way to solve this, unless my way above will do the job.

I think there may be a better solution to this.  Maybe we need to call for help from some of our other out-of-the-box thinkers.  Bill?  Nobeefstu?  Al?  Others?

There must be a way to overcome such a simple solution.  Simple becomes  tedious when working with even 20 files, let alone the 100 or so that your program can otherwise handle so well.  

Anyone up to the challenge to really solve this one?   :huh:  

Robert,

You are missing nothing and you are right, but somewhere, someone, inside the machine is still remembering the order of inseting the files to the folder.

Someone in this forum will pop-up sooner or later and explain us exactly how it works so we can find a way to solve this, unless my way above will do the job.

Why is the file order not name-sorted? What you get in All_exe right now is a creation date sort, not a name sort. Granot, see if you can select files by name sort when you scan to create the list.

PTE History about creation date sort vs. modified date sort (remember this???):

Do you remember when Igor changed PTE's File List Sort Order for Date from creation date sort to modified date sort recently?  When the sort is by creation date you get files in the order as they were placed in a folder.  This is what All_exe does today.

This comes out seemingly random and arbitrary when you wildcard copy a lot of files into a folder and take a look at creation date ordering.  When modified date sort is used the sort is by the last time a tool saved and wrote the file to the hard drive.  That is how PTE does date sort now (much better).  The twist to all of the date sort alternatives is that PTE users will sometimes want a sort by when a photograph was shot.  You can't do that in Windows Explorer once you start editing your photo JPGs, since what you need is EXIF shooting date sort.  Search the forum for SetNameToTime, a utility that reads EXIF date from your JPG file and renames the JPG file to include shooting date in name so that a Windows Explorer or PTE name sort gives you a shooting date sort.

Why is the file order not name-sorted? What you get in All_exe right now is a creation date sort, not a name sort.  Granot, see if you can select files by name sort when you scan to create the list.

Granot -

I have now tried your cut/paste/dummy file maneuvers. I have also tried a few similar of my own. None has worked here. I think it is not possible to outsmart the internal code of your program and Explorer. Perhaps the above quote from Bill, is a pointer to the real answer?

Bill and Robert,

see this:

http://www.thailandphotoalbum.com/AllExe.jpg

Image 1

First put my shows to folder "a" when Zpaint.exe is extra zzz file.

As you can see "All_Exe" is not sorted.

Image 2

Then I copy all files to folder "b".

Now files are sorted except Zpaint.exe.

Image 3

So I delete this extra file and everything is OK.

ain't that so easy ?

Thank you Granot for the further direction. I did go to your posted examples. Looks like the work-around did ok in your case. Based on your example, I tried the same procedure. It does not work in my case. In fact in the later folder, the sort lists a file as first, that alphabetically should be somewhere in the mid pack. So now this intriques me even more. In some tries, I have wondered if it works differently when the files are moved vs. copied. And what else might be causing the erratic sort list.

Maybe Bill and Al or others could also try this and see if the wrong sorting occurs in their cases when following your posted example.

And of course, If you can see if the scan/sort routine in your program could be written differently to eliminate the problem, that would be great.

Robert

I tried it again, made new folder, copy and past exe files one by one. Then add "All_Exe" and run it. All files appeared in the order I paste in the new folder.

Anyway, there is another way to make it read from a text file the order of files. I did this on my newest utility "ReadAboutCD" No. 129.

But I really want to see some other's members feedback about "All_Exe".

Granot

Robert, check please "ReadAboutCD" No. 129 and tell me if it runs ok on yours. AL can't make it run on his but, again, on my old win98 everything works fine. Both programs have same components. I think you and Al are using XP which makes me big headache.

Granot

Granot,

As I said in the other thread, the fault was all mine - I neglected to create the "Files" folder and move the text files there as per your enclosed instructions. By the way, I am using Win Me.

Sorry for the confusion.

Yes Granot, ReadAboutCD works fine on my Win98 SE machine. (Although, I have in times past been concerned with an XP machine here, all my conversation re ReadAboutCD and All_EXE, have been pertaining to Win98.)

So yes, ReadAboutCD works well for designed main purpose. But I think ALL_EXE, by that boxig fellow, is much easier and direct for my current "need." I still think it is a slick program for "100 shows on CD". Even though I still get goofy sorts, I am confident that in one sleepless moment, between next big things, it will occur to you the solution to achieve a consistent plain alpha sort. ;)