WnSoft Forums

Situation with Vimeo

Igor

Vimeo has changed web API and PicturesToExe can't perform new uploads to this service anymore.

We've sent to Vimeo a request to obtain permission use their Advanced API for uploads.

The answer was unexpected:

Vimeo is made for filmmakers and video sharers to upload their original work. Slideshow software presents us with not only technical issues, but they make it easy to upload photos not actually taken by the user, and they aren't really the content we are looking to provide on Vimeo. While we understand your users would like to make use of Vimeo (and we're not saying they can't) we would like to keep Vimeo off of a direct connection with your software, its not something we are interesting in supporting at this time.

After my reply, I've received the next offer:

If you'd really like, we can approve you under the condition that your users will have to be Vimeo Plus members in order to use the software, and basic members won't be able to upload.

Cost of Vimeo Plus is $60 per year for a user.

Because of this, we plan to remove direct Vimeo uploads from PicturesToExe Deluxe.

We could leave Vimeo uploads for Plus members, but it will be strange if we continue use "Vimeo" in our promotional materials - users will not expect that our support of Vimeo is so limited.

If you need upload to Vimeo, please use option "Create HD video for PC and Mac" then upload video file to Vimeo manually through their website.

YouTube also supports HD video up to 1080p. So it can be a replacement for Vimeo. PicturesToExe Deluxe completely supports YouTube.

Also we plan implement direct uploads to Facebook soon.

Hi Igor,

I wish to confirm the contents of your above Posts. About 4 weeks ago I also contacted Vimeo concerning

a 'New Picture Gallery' (single-Images) and Flash-Presentations of those Images and they made it quite

clear that they were not interested in any Exe-Presentations nor (standard) Flash-Video.

At that time they also announced they were up-grading their 'Presentations Web-Site' specifications to

video-format only. In fact they are looking for the Hi-quality end of Video-Presentations whether they be

'still-video images' or 'moving-video' presentations but under all circumstances those video-works must

be the copyright materials of the original Video-Author.

I can appreciate what they are trying to establish,viz:- "A Hi-quality Video-Presentation Website" for the

use of sole-copyright authors....whether thats a good or bad thing, it will have to stand on its own merits !!

Having examined some of the Vimeo-Presentations I must say that some of those works are spectacular.

Brian (Conflow)

Hi Igor,

I agree completely with your decision. The reasoning of people at Vimeo concerning "slideshow" programs making it "easier" for uploading images whose rights are not owned by the author of the slideshow is logical in some sense, but flawed in the sense that it is very easy to also upload videos not owned by the author. Modern video authoring software makes it exceedingly easy to cut and paste and manipulate video just as one can manipulate still images.

The fact that they followed up with their message about allowing Wnsoft to use their API for Vimeo members who pay tends to make me suspicious of their motives. If PTE users want to upload to Vimeo, they can do it without that menu choice in PTE. I believe it's their loss, not ours and if they don't want to support slideshows that's certainly a valid business choice on their part but they should say so up front and not try to make it "conditional" on paying for their "Plus" service. I, for one, plan to withdraw my support for Vimeo and remove my slidshows from Vimeo.

Best regards,

Lin