WnSoft Forums

Wedding Photography

Almark

Unless you know the folk getting married, a PTE Av of their wedding, will not have much interest. However, I know many members of this forum like to see the photography and critically assess the techniques used and so on.

A friend of mine asked me to help out with a wedding that he was doing for a friend of his for free!

I used a Nikon D700, 24-70 f/2.8 and D300, 18-200 VR and a Sony HX5v for the panoramas. As this was a freebie I haven't done much work for the Av, it is roughly full HD, 1920x1080. I have played about with the images in Capture NX2. Some images have 'pop colour', while others have a selective and graduated mono background.

As always I seek feedback. I know that many images are not exactly right, as far as the AV is concerned. But I welcome all other feedback, especailly on my photography approach.

PTE Download here

YouTube

Mark,

I enjoy your photography, especially your black and whites.

I was wondering if you would mind commenting a little on your thoughts of the Sony HX5v for the panoramas.

Thanks,

Kieron

At this wedding I was using a D700 with a fast lens (24-70 f/2.8) I had to use an ISO of 800 with the d700, and 1600 with my D300 (with 18-200VR lens).

So I wasn't sure if I could get any decent photos with a compact. But the Sony HX5V worked very well with the low light conditions. It really is so simple to use. I have found that I can get almost 360 when it is set to wide, rather than standard.

At this wedding I was using a D700 with a fast lens (24-70 f/2.8) I had to use an ISO of 800 with the d700, and 1600 with my D300 (with 18-200VR lens).

So I wasn't sure if I could get any decent photos with a compact. But the Sony HX5V worked very well with the low light conditions. It really is so simple to use. I have found that I can get almost 360 when it is set to wide, rather than standard.

Mark - I don't feel qualified to comment on wedding photography apart from they looked a really nice set of photographs to me. I would have been very pleased if I had taken them.

Maureen

Didn't he do well!

The only thing that I noticed was that the panning of the panarama was a little to fast.

Otherwise the images were very good and conveyed the happy atmosphere to a tee.

Very well done Mark.

Ron

Some, no not some but many, great candid shots and superb camera angles. To get these camera angles in the hurly-burly of a wedding shows great imagination and a quick eye. The slideshow could have done without the titles I thought and relied on fading to black. If anybody asks me to do a wedding, I refuse but say I'll take the video - much easier.

Mickp

Hi Mark!

Nice done. Very good photographs. However - as always - I was missing the food...

Agree with Ron on the panning. A fading into the following image could

give the panning a smooth ending.

The titles could be a smaller size and in some color.

/Lennart :)

Mark,

Great show and liked the relaxed style.

As others have said the pan is too fast,but also this and a couple of other

pics are leaning off the vertical (not just lens distortion I think).

The large text as said before is also too big or not needed.

Maybe something in a more relaxed hand written font would be more suitable.

If keeping text, then maybe use a title other than 'The House'.

Youtube works,but is only so so quality.Your Exe works much better.

I'm sure the couple,their families and yourself are pretty happy.

Well done

Regards,

Davy

Thanks for all the feedback, I have updated the Av, same link

here

Titles reduced in size, the correct spelling for the bride's name Katharine instead of Katherine, and all landscape images are full hd.

I didn't like the fullhd approach. I found that by stretching the images so that they would fill the screen - they lost some of the design and composition elements I had intended. So I have gone back to a 4:3 approach and am much happier with the result. I removed a couple of photos to allow more time for the pano, (30s to 40s) and also removed the black image that followed it. Thanks for the suggestions, I think this is much better.