WnSoft Forums

Progressive versus interlaced 1080 video

potwnc

I've only tested this (but exhaustively) with 5.6.4 and 6.0, so maybe 6.5 will fix this.

When creating AVI Video Output at 1920x1080 with the PTE codec I have noticed consistently that a setting of 29.97 fps (NTSC - I haven't yet tested 25fps, PAL) is always rendered interlaced even if I leave the "interlaced" box unchecked. The same PTE project rendered at 23.976 fps (FILM) (and without exiting PTE in between) is always rendered progressive when I leave the "interlaced" box unchecked.

This is not a problem for me because 1920x1080x24p is exactly what I want anyway to burn to Blu-ray disc.

To those who have already burned to Blu-ray using PTE, did you also notice this? And if you didn't burn at 23.976 fps how did you get around it if you wanted the burned disc to be progressive?

Ray

Hi Ray,

Interesting question...

I dont know if it will help but my understanding is as follows :

2 existing worlds : TV world and Movie world

for the TV world, digital broacasted TV will be coded following H264 specs

at 720p (60 fps for NTSC and 50fps for PAL) or at 1080i (two half frames, each at 60 or 50fps). The 1080p at the same speed would require twice the bandwidth and so has been judged too much expensive for broadcasting.

And that should be the reason why there is no choice available today for this option not yet very useful on video market.

Movie world has not the same historic backgrounds neither the same constraints and keeps on HD pictures at 24fps and 1080p (progressive mode)for Blu ray DVD.

New camcorders working at 50fps/60fps or even more are coming on the market, the world of video coding will change (without speaking about 3D).

Am I right ?

Daniel.

Daniel,

What you describe is correct, but the Blu-ray format is also capable of supporting 25 and 29.97 progressive fps - even though most commercial Blu-ray movies are stored on Blu-ray at 23.976 progressive fps.

I think that if PTE does not support 1920x1080 video at 25 or 29.97 progressive fps then the "Interlaced video" checkbox should be disabled for these fps rates - otherwise the user is led to believe they will get progressive video output if they leave that box unchecked.

Hi Ray

You are right for avi creation there is no need for the checkbox "interlaced video" as the only choices are NTSC or PAL/TV options.

But if you want HD 1080p why not use Create/HD Video for PC or MAC/ with customized options you can get a High quality HD video mp4 in 1080p 60fps?

Regards

Daniel

Daniel,

I don't use the deluxe version of PTE because the mp4 files that it outputs cannot be read by my Blu-ray authoring software, Sony Vegas Pro.

Ray

Ok I understand your concern.

If you are used to burn Blu Ray DVD, which parameters do you prefer to use for coding your HD video? Personnaly rather than burning DVD I prefer to register files on HDD and read it after with a mediaplayer but we have some members in our club who prefer burning DVD and this question is often raised, so your experience could be helpful.

Daniel

Daniel,

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to DVD or Blu-ray disc here? I don't know what a "Blu-ray DVD" is.