WnSoft Forums

MAC

gwignall

Hi

Any chance of a MAC version - at least be honest if the PTE technologists cannot cope, or is it an Apple licensing difficulty or something like that?

Cheers

Geoffrey

Hi

Please excuse me as I am not used to these forum things!

However, I have posted on this this issue in the general forum in responding to an earlier disussion.

All I am trying to do is push for the development of a MAC version of PTE - and this seemed that it may be an appropriate place to at least create some further discussion.

Cheers

Geoffrey

PS MACs 'Just Work'!

Have you noticed how Mac users have to continually say how wonderful their Mac is. I have noticed that at my camera club and I am not sure why they feel that need......Never mind .:rolleyes:

Tell you what, Macs don't produce superior images.

Its just another of those pointless debates that we have to have, my Ford is better than your Toyota, my Dad's bigger than your Dad ..... :lol:

Well said Barry,

We have the same scenario here in Ireland ~ but leaving that aside there is another development

in progress,viz:- "Windows-7 Pro" and a "Virtual-Mac PC" running on it...

These 'rumours' are floating around the PC-Trade and are usually accurate except in time-scale

expectations but seeing what Microsoft have done with "Vista-X86 Programs" incorporating 2 Folders

in each:- One being 32.Bit Virtual-PC type and the other a 64.Bit Emulator-type and considering

the extreme rarity of 64.Bit Programs it seems that something is up ?...could the Trade be right?

is a Virtual-Mac a possible reality for "Windows-7 Professional"....Wow that would be something !!

Brian (Conflow)

Yes, I can hardly wait :rolleyes:

Think how much better the quality of the images and slide shows will be. :rolleyes:

Its like two guys sitting in a forest shelter having a discussion about what make of hammer was used to bang in the nails that holds it together.:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

GEOFF

TRY

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12402&pid=79877&st=0entry79877

SEE MAC version

ken

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:17 AM On the evening of Friday 17th September I, and approximately 100 other attendees at the Royal Photographic Society's 19th International Audio-Visual Festival, listened to Igor Kokarev as he gave a brief insight into the features that are being worked on by the WnSoft developers for v7.0 of PTE. I spoke with Igor several times over the course of the Festival weekend and he agreed that I should post this summary on the forum:

Video clips

It will be possible to include video clips in a PTE project. The development team have set themselves the objective of us being able to include a video clip just as we do any other object, with all the O&A capability that we have for single objects: pan, zoom, rotate, 3D transforms, etc. - and to do this in a manner that will run with the lowest possible requirement for hardware capability. An immense challenge for the Wnsoft team!

Blur

It will be possible to apply blur to an object in a smooth manner between two keyframes on the object's timeline. Igor demonstrated a simple example of this Blur feature. The creative possibilities of this are almost limitless.

Enhanced timeline

The timeline display will be given a major re-write so that it can support the display of multiple audio files.

Release date

The current target that WnSoft are working towards is to release v7.0 approximately 7-8 months after v6.5's release. If they can keep to that schedule I think we could see the first beta release in late-November or early-December (what a wonderful Christmas present for us all to play with!)

Mac version

Igor also spoke briefly about the Mac version. It is coming along but the scale of the project is very large for such a small company. Their desire is to have just one set of source code that is common to both the Windows version and the Mac version. To make this possible they have had to learn a new programming language and are having to totally re-write all of PTE in this new language. Another major challenge for the team! The native Mac version will not be part of PTE v7.0.

In our private conversations Igor expressed his gratitude to everyone on the forum for their ideas and suggestions and for the contributions that the forum members make to the beta testing of each new PTE version. He really does appreciate all that we do to help WnSoft develop this wonderful product. I pass his thanks on to you all.

On an entirely unrelated matter I can report that Igor is enjoying his vacation in the UK. He has spent the first week in the English Lake District and will be spending the second week in the Snowdonia area of North Wales. He expects to be back home on Sunday 26th September.

regards,

Peter

peter.appleton3@ntlworld.com

"Be kind; life's too short to be angry"

Hello Ken

Thank you for that - that link has worked!

Not quite the desired answer for Mac users though!

However, as a current alternative; how does Windows 7 perform with PTE - Is it worth 'Boot Camping' (that is installing 'Windows 7' on a separate part of a Mac Hard Drive)?

And, as for a point of clarification and with my, albeit limited, understanding, a Mac version just could not be 'Part of PTE' - they are simply designed and written for different operating systems! (.exe files are 'Windows 'executable' (i.e. 'playable') files, and by definition MAC files are not .exe files?)

It is just that a 'Mac' Version for File information and management would be good!

But can we take as a positive that it WILL WORK (IF and )when it finally arrives?

(But will 'Microsoft' actually allow this development?)

Regards

Geoffrey

Hello Ken

Thank you for that - that link has worked!

Not quite the desired answer for Mac users though!

However, as a current alternative; how does Windows 7 perform with PTE - Is it worth 'Boot Camping' (that is installing 'Windows 7' on a separate part of a Mac Hard Drive)?

And, as for a point of clarification and with my, albeit limited, understanding, a Mac version just could not be 'Part of PTE' - they are simply designed and written for different operating systems! (.exe files are 'Windows 'executable' (i.e. 'playable') files, and by definition MAC files are not .exe files?)

It is just that a 'Mac' Version for File information and management would be good!

But can we take as a positive that it WILL WORK (IF and )when it finally arrives?

(But will 'Microsoft' actually allow this development?)

Regards

Geoffrey

Geofrey,

I have a iMAC with snow Leopard and Vista on it. This works fine for me. I have photoshop an PTE on the Vista part of the iMAC. I suppose Win 7 will do fine also.

Regards

Luc M

I have done a lot of demos over the years and it amazes me how many times Mac users tell me PC's are crap and Macs are fabulous, yet all I ever read is Mac users wanting to run Windows. Am I the only one who wonders why?

Perhaps I have had my ear bent by the wrong people :rolleyes:

I have done a lot of demos over the years and it amazes me how many times Mac users tell me PC's are crap and Macs are fabulous, yet all I ever read is Mac users wanting to run Windows. Am I the only one who wonders why?

Perhaps I have had my ear bent by the wrong people :rolleyes:

Hi BB

No No No!

Just to be clear: It is not that Mac users wish to 'Run Windows' - Far from it - we wish to AVOID 'Windows'.

What is requested is Mac versions of some useful software (e.g. WnSoft PTE) that is currently only available in the 'Windows 'format!

Cheers

Geoffrey

Geoffrey

I emigrated from the UK to Australia, because I liked the lifestyle that Australia offeres and I knew what the limitations were and what the differences would be between the UK and Australia before I made the move. I didn't get here and then start bleating that this wasn't as good as the UK or that doesn't compare. We pays our money and we make our choice and we do so because we have decided the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. Mac users have done the same and they would have to be daft not to realise that the depth of software is not available for macs as it is PC's. However, I am not stupid and accept that this is all part of the charm of Macs and I don't have any quarrel with that at all. I am sure Macs are a great machine, but rightly or wrongly the whole world uses PC's and for what I do I have little choice but to stay with PC's. Quite often though, it almost seems like a complaint from Mac users. How dare PTE not be available for my Mac.

To be honest, Mac users should be over the moon that PTE is being developed for Macs and I hope Igor gets back all the time and cost he will have to put in to develop PTE for such a small percentage of computer users. I doubt it is no means certain.

Just to be clear: It is not that Mac users wish to 'Run Windows' - Far from it - we wish to AVOID 'Windows'.

Yes, that is the common cry and I suspect it is true for the majority including yourself, but there are loads of Mac users out there who run Windows too, so they can enjoy the breadth of software available and there is nothing wrong with that either.

It just gets tedious when a guy sidles up to me at a demo, puffs out his chest and in one of those irritating voices says " Well, you know of course I use an Apple Mac, far better than PC's", then proceeds to buy PTE software from me.

When I point out that it will not run on a Mac, I am told. Oh thats OK I have wondows installed too. Now this isn't an isolated thing.

Never, mind I am sure it just me who wants to shove the disk down the guys throat. :rolleyes:

<snip>

It just gets tedious when a guy sidles up to me at a demo, puffs out his chest and in one of those irritating voices says " Well, you know of course I use an Apple Mac, far better than PC's", then proceeds to buy PTE software from me.

When I point out that it will not run on a Mac, I am told. Oh thats OK I have wondows installed too. Now this isn't an isolated thing.

Never, mind I am sure it just me who wants to shove the disk down the guys throat. :rolleyes:

Amen to that. Our club frequently has guest speakers on artistic or photographic subjects, and quite frequently they bring their own laptop, frequently a mac, as artistic types are wont to use. They expect to use our projector for their show, but often they do not bring a DVI to VGA adapter, so the club now has one of those to accommodate the Mac types. We ran a regional convention a couple of years ago, and one of the top-flight speakers showed up with his powerbook - and couldn't get it going. He fluffed around for what seemed like ages, before I finally asked him what he was planning to show, and he said a powerpoint presentation. I said, Have you got it on a memory stick and yes, he did, so I stuck in my Dell and away it went. He was amazed that my PC could read his powerpoint! What stuck in my throat was a review of our convention that criticised the 'amateur' handling of the projection gear!! None of the several PC's faulted in any way, but this chap's mac spoiled the show for us.

Ironically, after the debaclé another chap came up to the table, looked at this guy's mac, pressed a couple of keys, and away it went. So not only was he a mac snob, he couldn't drive it anyway. And, he was forced to admit that the Dell gave every bit as good a picture as his mac could do. Sweet!

Why are you still using a Windows computer? Maybe you are still getting acclimated to Australia?

Because the computer I use will no difference to my photography at all. As I have said before this debate is like two carpenters arguing over which is the better make of hammer to bang the nails in the wood.

Let PC users get on with their PC's, Let Mac users get on with their Macs. Just stop whinging and chest banging about it. Lets see what you are producing with your computer. Lets see some stunning photography and AV's

Put up or shut up is the phrase that fits this debate