WnSoft Forums

TROUBLE LOADING FILES

giljones

I have used PTE for many years now and with the exception of now have not experienced a problem. The difficulty arises when I CREATE a new program. I get a project file appear instead of the usual PTE icon , when I move to my laptop with a Kingston memory reader it will not open the file. Saying that windows cannot open it as it cannot find the file it needs. What am I doing wrong?Gilbert

I have used PTE for many years now and with the exception of now have not experienced a problem. The difficulty arises when I CREATE a new program. I get a project file appear instead of the usual PTE icon , when I move to my laptop with a Kingston memory reader it will not open the file. Saying that windows cannot open it as it cannot find the file it needs. What am I doing wrong?Gilbert

Gilbert.

I have also used PTE for some years, but when you say that you create a new program I am not totally sure I understand what you mean. If you mean create an Executable file for PC, then the file that is created does not need Windows to assign a program to open it. It sounds like your saving the Project file by mistake. That file will show as a PTE file in Windows Explorer, whereas the final slide show will show as an application.

Look at the file your trying to open on your laptop and if it is just a 100-120k in size, that is the Project file and not the exe one.

If you are trying to open a project file on your laptop, then asKen says you will need all of the remaining files to be able to do so, but you say that windows cannot open the file. which is odd. My first thought is that you do not have PTE installed on the laptop, but if it is, then you seem to have lost the file association.

If you can be a bit more specific on exactly what your trying to do, I am sure we can help

gilbert,

As Barry mentions ... you need to verify if the file in question is a exe file (.exe) or pte flie (.pte)

* See the attached image as a reference that shows the new style and old style PTE icons used as default.

Note:

- If you have lost file association to open pte files (.pte) ... fastest way to restore is just reinstall PTE progam. This is not likely your issue because of the comment on your icon display. Non associated project files show the windows default file icon and not the pte default file icon.

- A newer PTE version project file will not open in a older PTE program version. Make sure you have the newest PTE program version installed on the laptop also.

post-45-075353400 1287919214_thumb.jpg

I think I have found the trouble. I noticed that the programme at the top of the screen is called 6.5 de luxe. This is not the version I intended nor do I need it so it must have downloaded in advertantly. I re made the show in ver 6.00 and all is well. The only problem I have now is how do I get a copy which is not the de luxe version 6,5 but the standard one i 6.5 ver?

V6.5.3 Deluxe and V6.5.3 Standard are IDENTICAL programmes.

The only difference comes when you pay the difference to unlock the Deluxe features.

If you have loaded V6.5.3 you have the most up to date version of the STANDARD PTE installation (which will work with your original Reg Key).

DG