WnSoft Forums

Island Colors

cottage

Bill -

Overall, a great show. Strong color, and the lines and textures are great as well.

Now for the "not so great"; Why was there a short black interlude after the first 3 vertical images? Where you trying to keep the viewers in suspense? I was really enjoying the peacefulness of the images and then came the Crocodile twice! What was that all about? What made you think that those 2 photos would fit in the mood that you created. There was one shot of grasses that I found really interesting with bright colors and a narrow depth of field. And then you had 2 smaller images appear over top with dull gray backgrounds - IMHO they shouldn't have been included. Like you, I use a lot of Medwyn Goodall's music. I find that I have to edit a lot of his stuff due to repetition. Sometimes you just want it to end. So I will often use 2 shortened pieces in stead of 1 long one. I'm not usually so critical but this could have been an awesome show if it weren't for a few minor adjustments.

All that being said; I loved the closeups, they have great detail. Most people never think of getting close. But that's where you see some really neat textures which add interest.

Greg

Hi Bill,

An amazing array of flora and fauna you have on your lovely island (just Googled it) and very well photographed and presented. It has inspired me to do more close up work in my photography. I did find it a trifle long and as Greg says this could have been the music which was a bit repetitive but asn excellent show overall.

HI Bil,

Very good show with great color saturation, did not like the short black screen as it disrupted the flow of the show, your photography is greatly improved. I think you could have left out the alligator images and still have had a great show. On your next show could you make the size 1920 x 1200 as on my thirty inch monitor the image goes from side to side but not top to bottom. All in all Bill really loved the show.

Rick.

Hi Bill

Seeing the pleasure you took photos of your environnement, you were probably in a particularily good mood during your stay in this island :)

By the way, where it is?

Very colourful and relaxing ... apart the 2 crocodiles !

Thank you for sharing

Patrick

Hi Bill,

Very good photography and the autumn colours were excellent. Loved your picture of the bicycle on the beach.

Thanks for sharing,

Colin

Colin,

Thanks for your kind comments. The colors this year are particularly good so there is lots to photograph!

Kind regards,

Bill

Bill -

Overall, a great show. Strong color, and the lines and textures are great as well.

Now for the "not so great"; Why was there a short black interlude after the first 3 vertical images? Where you trying to keep the viewers in suspense? I was really enjoying the peacefulness of the images and then came the Crocodile twice! What was that all about? What made you think that those 2 photos would fit in the mood that you created. There was one shot of grasses that I found really interesting with bright colors and a narrow depth of field. And then you had 2 smaller images appear over top with dull gray backgrounds - IMHO they shouldn't have been included. Like you, I use a lot of Medwyn Goodall's music. I find that I have to edit a lot of his stuff due to repetition. Sometimes you just want it to end. So I will often use 2 shortened pieces in stead of 1 long one. I'm not usually so critical but this could have been an awesome show if it weren't for a few minor adjustments.

All that being said; I loved the closeups, they have great detail. Most people never think of getting close. But that's where you see some really neat textures which add interest.

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for your detailed assessment of my show. As I posted, it was simply a quick show about the many 'colors' on the island. All of it was captured in about three hours on a bike ride around our plantation.

Let me take on your many questions. No suspense intended at the beginning of the show. I often place a blank slide between my opening image and my first presentation image. Just my technique I suppose. As for the Crocodiles... ours are actually called "American Alligators". We don't have Crocs in this part of the world. Why are they in my show you ask? I suppose because they are a part of everyday life here on the island and show that we don't live on 'Main Street, USA'. :D

Sorry for the mood swing in my show. Didn't know I had set any type mood to begin with. ;)

The grass image with super imposed images on it was sort of a test. I used the mask tool, probably for the second time ever. Sorry you didn't like it. As for the music... love Goodall's material. Hate to tweak it.

Thanks again for the critique. My biggest joy in all of this was being out there and taking the shots.

Best regards,

Bill

Mickp,

Yes, great stuff out there to shoot. This year particularly. Now that you know where we are... come on down!! You're always welcome here. Glad you enjoyed the show, and thanks for taking the time to watch it. Best of luck with your close-up work. :)

Rick,

Good to hear from you again. Looking forward to your next presentation. Have you been back to Africa recently? My decision to make it 1920x1080 was to fit out 52" TV. We're like a drive-in theater here sometimes with the neighbors dropping by to view the shows. :P Coming from you, a superior photographer, I appreciate you saying my photography has improved. Got quite a touch to go though!!!!!!

Thanks guys!!

Bill

Hello Patrick. Good to hear from you again! It was a good day indeed as I biked around taking the shots. All images were taken on Hilton Head Island, a small barrier island off the coast of South Carolina, USA. We now live on the island. http://en.wikipedia...._South_Carolina

Xaver,

The show is certainly filled with random images with no particular attempt to exactly align it with the music's rhythm. Hope you enjoyed it !! Just a fun day out.

Bill

Mickp,

Yes, great stuff out there to shoot. This year particularly. Now that you know where we are... come on down!! You're always welcome here. Glad you enjoyed the show, and thanks for taking the time to watch it. Best of luck with your close-up work. :)

Bill

Very impressed that you shot all those in three hours. Passed within 20 miles of you some years back on the I 95 on the way to Miami. I think this was a once in a lifetime trip though. Mind you, I have just Googled 'Golf Courses' - now there's a thing!

Mickp

A simple show reflecting some of the colors of the autumn season on our small island.

Camera: Canon EOS 1D Mark III

Lenses: Canon 24-105mm F4 L IS and Sigma 50-500 F4.5-6.3 OS.

1920x1080

Run time 7 minutes

33 MB

Island Colors

Regards,

Bill

Bill - did you receive my emailed comments? Having a few problems with email at the moment and not sure if some are arriving.

Maureen

Bill - did you receive my emailed comments? Having a few problems with email at the moment and not sure if some are arriving.

Maureen

Good afternoon Maureen!

Received your personal email and have replied to it. I want to thank you publicly for your gracious comments and for your continued encouragement. Looking forward to your next masterpiece!

Bill

I'm ready to come down and personally verify all that beauty you've surrounded yourself with!

This AV is simply a well done pleasant journey. You do have some very interesting images and beautiful compositions as well as color. On this type of presentation, I really like the light, precise, frame on each photo. Thanks for the view.

I'm ready to come down and personally verify all that beauty you've surrounded yourself with!

This AV is simply a well done pleasant journey. You do have some very interesting images and beautiful compositions as well as color. On this type of presentation, I really like the light, precise, frame on each photo. Thanks for the view.

Thank you sir! You already know that you are more than welcome to come on down anytime! Of course we might have to exchange houses seeing as your part of the world it quite beautiful as well.

Glad you enjoyed the show. Leaves are falling quickly to the ground now. Good thing I snapped them when I did.:rolleyes:

Enjoy your weekend!

Bill

Bill,

I've walked in similar locales in Florida on holiday and photographed similar views. But I come home with snapshots and postcards. Your presentation shows the same things I've seen, but you have shown me a better way of seeing. Thank you for the lesson, and a fine show!

Dick