WnSoft Forums

slow start of PTE shows

LumenLux

I keep a few PTE shows on my desktop. Today I realized that the start-up time for any show was about 10 times normal. In fact, the first couple I tried, I thought had perma froze, so I rebooted. Then I found it was just a matter of only minutes until the show would run normally after the absurd slow start.

After this observation, I realized that Windows Explorer, and any function connected to Windows Explorer were also taking minutes instead of expected second or seconds. This condition seems to occur every few weeks! I usually get around the situation by eliminating all the background activity of the start-up routine. I guess this eliminates that conflict, but I can never trace down which program(s) are crossing swords and causing the slow or freezing behavior.

To boot up without all the background (resource cannibal) stuff, I first run MSConfig. Then on the start-up tab, I de-select everything. When I then re-boot, my begining resource shows to be 97%, vs. the regular boot up showing 74%-84%. My question here is regarding the items listed per the startup tab. When I eventually have everything I think I need checked, there are maybe 12 items checked and 36 unchecked. How do I get rid of the check boxes of items that apparently have accumulated over time and I have no intention of using again? Also, many of the checkboxes have very non-descript names by them. Is there a way to know to what programs they relate?

Robert,

You can try this little tool that helps you take control of start-up programs.

Startup Control Panel by Mike Lin :

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

It allows you to turn off or remove the culprit files at your direction. I use the standalone exe version (a cpl version also avail). This program makes life much easier ... without totally removing anything until you know whats what. It will enable/disable/remove all without rebooting as MS always does when changes are made.

Is there a way to know to what programs they relate?

Its not always easy to find such info ... sometimes it hit and miss :(

Give that tool a try, as this will aid you in atleast getting a handle of what may be happening.

New Note :

I forgot to add this simple little tool also

StartupList makers of Spybot

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

Lists all and every autostarting app on your system. Checks Autostart folders, the Registry Run keys, Autoexec.bat, Stub Paths, ICQ Agent, Program extensions, Win.ini, System.ini, Wininit.ini, Wininit.bak, Winstart.bat, Dosstart.bat, as well as checking for duplicate instances of Explorer.exe and checking for superhidden extensions.

It does not configure anything ... but just creates a extensive list file of whats loaded and running at the time your make the test

I have been searching for an article that stated it was not wise to have exe's or folders on the desktop -- they should just be s/c's to exe's and folders. It has something to do with a system crash - i have a very unstable xp home and this summer during one of its performances i managed to lose track of the folders that had been on my desktop -- not nice trying to remember/recreate all one's little "cheats sheets". since then just s/c's on desktop.

PCForrest StartMan version 1.3, if you can find it is my preferred for xp

for win95/98

StartUp Manager 2.1

Copyright © 1997, Daniel Hofman - All Rights Reserved

ken

I'm also running WIN98-SE and my machine had arthritus. If by chance your using McAfee virus scan, you should make sure that you have the latest scan engine...v4240. My machine is still slow and unstable, but not nearly as bad when I had the old scan engine.

Currently I disable McAfee when I'm doing local computing that I'm confident of. It makes a world of difference in terms of speed of operations, like exes. When McAfee won't update anymore, I plan to move to AVG whcih I hear is not such a reource hog.

Good Luck...Best Regards!

Listed below is the FAQ from McAfee site regarding symptoms of old engine:

=============================================================

"Update your scan Engine to 4240

Summary: If your VirusScan software is using the 4160 version of the scan engine (please see How to identify the engine version), this new engine may improve the overall performance of your computer and is recommended that you install it.

How to Identify the Engine Version

You can identify the version of the scan engine that you are currently running by doing the following:

From the Windows system tray, right-click the VirusScan icon.

Select About (VirusScan 6.0 or older) or About VirusScan (VirusScan 7.0).

The version information displays to the right of Scan Engine.

Description

For customers with configurations such as those described above, their computers may demonstrate the following behaviors:

Your computer runs slower or its overall performance has diminished.

You may observe exception faults including the "blue screen of death" or your computer stops responding.

Rough or erratic mouse sensitivity.

Stuttering sound cards.

The behaviors described above may be the result of stability problems associated with the 4160 version of the scan engine. "

Hi Robert

In regards to your first part of your question.

As Jim has mentioned McAfee also gave me a similar problem that you are experiencing. Our operating system Win 98 SE using McAfee I was running the Full System Scan.

With a couple of .PTE shows on the desktop it seemed to hesitate on loading.

It was particular noticable when opening Windows Explorer were I had a folder with about 15 PTE shows in. The icons in this folder took forever to load from top to bottom and computer seemed to have froze.

The hesitation occured even when unziping an .exe show, also when starting the show.

After a discussion sometime ago with WnSoft their answer was:

" There are some anti-virus programmes, which scans all running

programmes too long. "

What I did notice was when the Full System Scan was turned off, I had no problem.

Thank you all for the quick response. I am sure all this good info will help. Hawk, your description sounds like you observed it onmy machine. I will add, yes, I did just instal Version 8 of McAfee. I never got into Ver 7 in this much detail. But in 8, it seems I can not have it auto-scan at boot-up without having it also scan everytime I call an .exe program! Anyone know if that is really the way it has to be?

Robert,

Come to think of it ... I had McAfee a few years ago (several versions prior) and had noticed a considerable slow-down difference when I upgraded versions.

I then trashed McAfee ... and went to Norton. I immediately noticed a faster improvement and have been happy ever since.

Robert

My problem occured approximately 9 months ago going by my E-mail correspondence with WnSoft and I am surprised no one else has metioned it before this.

I thought possibly it was just my system and have lived with it.

If my memory serves me right it was around the time the new PTE icon was included in a new realesed version, brought to my attension in the folder being scanned as the Dos?/Window default icon was drawn / replaced with the new icon one by one down my list of PTE shows in my folder. Took a bit of time scanning.

I run McAfee version 6.02 with 4.2.60 scan engine. I am not familier with ver 7 or 8, and have had most of the time " System Scan " turned off due to this problem.

However since your post I have turned " System Scan" back on - but have switched " Do not scan outgoing files " OFF, scan only incoming files. So far this loads only the new icon and seems to have everthing running normal and up to speed as it did with " System Scan " off.

May know better in a few days.