WnSoft Forums

Video on Your Website

Lin Evans

One of the problems with our newer technology is that Apple CEO, Steve Jobs, has decided to boycott Flash. What does this mean to you if you display your videos on your own website? It simply means that those who visit your site with an iPod or iPad, etc., which doesn't run Flash, will not be able to see your shows.....

There is a solution now from Josh Anderson, who introduced the "Transparent Player" a while back. I commented on it then and am happy to report that there have been significant improvements to an already fine product.

Now, when a visitor using an iPod or iPad, etc., comes to your website, your Flash slideshows can automatically be detected and played for them by a fallback to HTML5 which is included in the really neat little Transparent Player Josh sells. You can read all about it here:

http://transparentplayer.com/

I think this offers the best overall solution at this time for those wanting to provide availability of their slideshows for everyone.....

Best regards,

Lin

• 2 months later...

Hello Lin

Yes it is a problem I ask myself for several weeks because I want to distribute my tutorials also on iPhone and iPad.

Finally I found the solution using the new versions of JWplayer

http://www.longtailvideo.com/

Here you can see my first test:

http://www.clubipi.com/learning-center.html

In this regard, I will appreciate your reactions because I'm currently re-editing all the tutorials I had done on PTE version 5 with version 6.5 and future version 7.

I have the ambition to make an English version, but before proceeding if you can tell me if my English is understandable or not I will appreciate?

Regards

Jean-Claude

Hi Jean-Claude,

Your English is perfect and of course, understandable. Also, your explanations are very clear and logical. Thank you so much, and please do distribute them in English as well as in French they will be very well received by both English and French native speakers!!

Best regards,

Lin

Jean-Claude,

I just went through your 4 tutorials and I found them very helpful. I have played with the audio functions but not to the extent you showed in your videos. I learned some new tricks! Thanks for putting them up and they are very understandable and appreciated.

Thank you, Gary

Hello hello Lin Goddi

Thank you for your appreciations, they encourage me to pursue and I will quickly bring new tutorials on video.

Did you have the opportunity to view the tutorials on an iPhone or an iPad ?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards

jean-Claue

Hi Jean-Claude,

Unfortunately, I don't have either an iPhone or iPad, but I did notice that when the mp4's were downloaded rather than played from your link, there was some degradation of quality on my players. I suspect it may be due to compression levels and slight incompatibilities with players. I tried it with IrfanView and with MediaPlayer Classic. It looked perfect on your link, but slightly less crisp when played back with the above players.

Best regards,

Lin

[

Jean-Claude,

Sorry, I inadvertently wrote over your post - That happens sometimes when moderator's are not careful - I apologize!!! I'll try to remember what you said and paraphrase it below:

You said that I probably downloaded the low resolution version for iPod and that it was necessary to click on the "HD" button to get the high resolution version. The low resolution version must be used on iPod and both are available on the same link.

My findings:

Hi Jean-Claude,

Thanks! That is "exactly" what happened. I downloaded again after making certain that I had HD selected and the output was perfect on all my players. Interestingly, even without the HD turned on, when viewing on your link the output was perfectly good at "low" resolution. But when the low resolution files were played on other players they were, as expected, less than optimal.

Perhaps a note to be certain that viewers pay more attention (I didn't notice the HD on and off on first view) might be helpful.

Best regards,

Lin

Jean-Claude,

I also tried one of your videos and had no difficulty understanding your excellent English and enjoyed your French accent - a delight to listen to! However, when I clicked on the Return button whilst the video was playing I got an error 500 in my web-browser (Firefox on Windows Vista Home Premium).

regards,

Peter

Hello Lin

even without the HD turned on, when viewing on your link the output was perfectly good at "low" resolution.

It is true that there are no significant differences between HD on/off when viewing video with the base size of the player, however if you opt for full screen using the proposed option in the navigation bar there is a large difference in quality and format.

Regards

Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude,

The videos were great! I watched the non-HD versions over a wireless connection and they ran very smoothly. Your English (and your tutorial style) are very understandable. I do hope that you will honor us with more tutorials. I learned a few things about the music track that I didn't know. Thanks for sharing these!