WnSoft Forums

Background music and sound comments

aplman

I have previously suggested a very desirable enhancement: the ability to cause background sound volume to be reduced when a sound comment (attached to a particular slide) is played. Some months ago, Igor indicated that this feature would be implemented, but it has not appeared yet.

Now I would like to improve my suggestion. Previously I suggested that in Project Options, a volume adjustment factor could be specified, to be applied to the background volume level whenever a sound comment is encountered. I now think I have a better suggestion.

For clarity, let's call the background sound "music", and let's call the sound comment "voice". I would dearly love the ability to specify the desirable music level in relation to the actual volume level of the voice ... for example, to say that music volume should be no more than 15 percent of the voice volume. Even better might be to be able to specify the factor for individual sound comments.

Naturally we would expect to specify fading down/up before/after the voice passage.

I realise this is a bigger challenge for the programmers, but it would allow us to make changes to music or voice passages without having to re-work the other.

Thank you Igor for giving this your consideration.

Regards

Ken T. (APLman)

Hi Ken,

Which version of PtE are you using? With the latest 6.5 there is now the facility to easily customise the background music to accommodate the 'voice overs'

In the project options 'music' tab click on the ''waveform' icon at the bottom and use the envelope tool to reduce the music volume at the 'voice over' section. This is so useful and very easy.

Does this answer your question?

I understand that Igor and the team intend to update (improve?) the audio aspects that he has recently added to a later version but with the video capabilities in V7 out soon the 'audio' has been put on hold.

Anthony

Hi Ken,

Which version of PtE are you using? With the latest 6.5 there is now the facility to easily customise the background music to accommodate the 'voice overs'

In the project options 'music' tab click on the ''waveform' icon at the bottom and use the envelope tool to reduce the music volume at the 'voice over' section. This is so useful and very easy.

Does this answer your question?

Anthony

Thank you Anthony for your interest. I am using version 6.5.7, so I'm up-to-date with the latest sound capabilities. I like what has been done so far, but my suggestion seeks to make life easier for those of us who are frequently changing and improving their shows. I feel we have to be able to add or remove slides, change durations, change voice comments, and so on, without having to make detailed individual changes to volume levels every time.

I want to be able to specify that the background sound should be reduced to a desirable level whenever a sound comment comes along. I think the concept is simple enough, and I trust Igor and his team to make the right decisions as to detail.

It has already been agreed and promised that this facility will be in PTE in due course, and I for one will be delighted when it's available.

Ken T. (APLman)

• 6 months later...

Ken

Yes I understand better where your coming from now, given that I make quite a few tutorials using PTE, I could use something like that too. Once you had your global settings you would still have the ability to adjust the volume of the music still more in isolated slides.

Ken

Yes I understand better where your coming from now, given that I make quite a few tutorials using PTE, I could use something like that too. Once you had your global settings you would still have the ability to adjust the volume of the music still more in isolated slides.

Glad you like the idea, Barry! Thank you for your vote.

Thank you, too, for the helpful chat yesterday.

Ken T (APLman)