WnSoft Forums

music is skipping

Peggy

I purchased Picturestoexe some time ago and didn't do much with it. Now I am serious about putting together a professional slide show but I can't seem to get it to work properly.

I put the slide show together - no problem

I burn to a cd - no problem

I play the cd on this computer - the music skips once

I play the cd on another computer - the music skips a few times

I play the cd on another computer - it takes almost 3 minutes to come up then the music skips many times.

I bring the cd back on this computer - it takes almost 10 minutes to come up and the music skips constantly.

I've tried it twice with similar results. I can't get the original cd to work at all anymore on any computer. The slide show on the computer works fine.

----------

I thought maybe it is my cd burner but I can't find the registration key to put Picturesto exe on my other computer. I sent an email to wnsoft yesterday and haven't heard back yet.

-------------------

I am using wav files and checking the option to not be able to copy the photos.

----------

Thank you for your help!

Peggy

Hello Peggy,

What version of PTE are you using ? The latest is v4.14

Please tell us more about your Show composition.

Overall mb size,

Image size (kb and screenwidth)

Music setting (manual, auto sync, custom sync)

Usually too large a Image size promotes music skipping ... esp on CD . (Other settings and factors also play a role). Are your Images below 200kb in file size?

WnSoft is located in Russia ... so there is a time difference, plus its the weekend there also.

Peggy,

welcome to the forum.

Wav files are too big for PicturesToExe. You have to compress your wav to MP3.

Your problem can also come from the size of your pictures: PTE preferes files about 100 - 200 Kb (MPEG).

Try first to compress music to MP3. If problem is still there, let us know

more details about pictures, and you computer.

Hope this will help.

I'm not an expert , but other members will give you more help, if necessary

Here are some interesting findings on relative performance between PTE shows using .mp3 vs .wav music files.

Due to the vast number of different parameters involved, and the fact that the measurements were taken over a period of a few days, these results are by no means rigorously scientific. However, one can draw some interesting conclusions from them.

________________________PTE 3.80___________PTE 4.14

________________________Wav, Mp3;_________Wav, Mp3

"exe" file size (Mb):________ 165, 28; _________165, 28

image file sizes (kb): ______ -----min: 44; max: 207; avg: 115 ----------

image size (pixels): _________ -----------800 x 600 ------------------------

music file size (Mb): ________151, 13.7; __________(same)

time to load from CD (sec): ___60, 10; __________ 3, 3

frequency of reading disk: every 10, 10 __________ 1, 5 seconds

avg. processor usage (%): 20 to 65, 10 to 60; 10 to 50, 10 to 50

(goes up when a transition is occurring)

max. processor usage (%): ___100, 100 ; _________100, 100

(mainly at the start of the show)

RAM usage (Mb):____________NA, NA; _________ 33.8, 34.0

There were no glitches in any of the 4 scenarios. Playing from the CD was equally as good as from the HD.

These results indicate to me the following:

1. With the new version 4.14, there should be no significant difference in performance between the use of mp3 or wave sound files. Both require similar pc resources.

2. Any glitches from CD operation are therefore likely the result of differing CD drives. (mine is a 24X unit, so is fast enough that there is no problem in viewing shows directly from CD's. 2X units are more likely to have a problem).

3. Previous tests have indicated that the music playback requires so little in the way of pc resources, that it is not really an issue. Much more important is the size of the images, the time between transitions (very important!), and the length of transitions. "Cuts" require very little processor time.

So, Sam, I beg to differ with you on your statement "Wav files are too big". Maybe for certain CD players, but not in general.

Peggy, be sure you are using the latest version of PTE - it can make quite a difference.

And, Stu, my experience with PTE has shown that, in general, the time between transitions has more impact on the sound quality than the size of the images, themselves.

Bear in mind that these results are based on only one pc, with one particular operating system, and with one particular set of slides and music. It would be interesting to hear about other peoples' findings, too.

Just a further note on this, I just put together a show using images 1600 x 1200 pix in size, compressed at 70%, (between 300 and 700 kb in file size), with a "wav" music file of 165 Mb, played directly from the CD, and the music plays as smooth as silk! And, at the same time, I have my browser, email, system monitor, anti-virus, MS Messenger, and Windows explorer all open in the background. :)

I should mention that another key component in this is plenty of RAM space. (I am using 768 Mb, so that helps a lot, given the enormous amount that Windoze uses up! :unsure: )

The image dissolves, of course, are a bit "flickery", but I can fix that with longer dissolves, or "cuts". Igor, you have done well with this new music player! B)

Sam,

Not to worry ... Its very hard to be a (PC) Doctor without actually knowing and seeing the patient and then prescribing a remedy to cure all. Not all patients clearly or completely convey all necessary needed info ... therefore you must give your best judgement upon what they give you at the given moment.

So all remedy possibilities exist as one disects the relative info ... and then hopefully a cure can be found. ;)

The initial indicator flag of Peggy's post for me was ...

I purchased Picturestoexe some time ago and didn't do much with it.

... so one must first suspect she is using an old version of PTE and from how long ago.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I purchased Pictures to Exe in June, I think. I'm still waiting for a response about my registration code so I can't download a new version without paying again - which I don't want to do until I'm sure I can get this to work how I want :)

I will try all your suggestions - reducing the size of the files, converting to MP3 and let you know how it goes.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Peggy

Didn't I read somewhere that the registration code is for life?

Peggy

it might be advisable to start a new thread re you reg key

and write to

Inna Malkova, WnSoft Inc.,

support@wnsoft.com

explaining your situation

Jeasco

re "Didn't I read somewhere that the registration code is for life? "

there was some talk of "grandfathering" existing keyholders if there was an enhanced version developed

new people would have to pay more

ken