WnSoft Forums

Renaming pictures in a template?

Delicate

Hi

Let's say I made a template named template_1 (or short slideshow) with a single slide, but which contains 30 pictures.

The pictures in the slide are named 001, 002, 003,... etc.

Then I use the same template to create a new template named template_2.

In this slide I replace every picture with pictures 031, 032, 033,... etc.

Then I make the third template the same way, ... drinkin little coffe under a pause...

Well, it can be made like this, but there must be another way?

How can I rename multiple pictures in a template (or the variables that will call the pictures into the template)?

Jan

Jan Frojdman,

Using a simple text editor with find and replace features should easily perform the rename task. The trick is not to rename your entire filename ... just search and replace part of the prefix or add to the existing filename. You are part way there with your numerical sequence pattern. Now just add/change a prefix text value to the existing/current filename value.

As an Example:

1_001.jpg is the original filename value.

Now just find and replace the existing value 1_0 with the new value 2_0. All your files that are patterned to your numerical sequence ... should now all be renamed within your PTE file. (Remember you also need to rename your image files to match the new value)

2_001.jpg is the new renamed filename value.

*If you only want to find and replace on a per slide basis ... begin yout edit point at that slide section within the PTE file. You can make it quick and simple once you get the ideal setup.

Hi nobeefstu.

Nice!!

This was the first time I realize that the PTE-template (or slideshow) can be opened with a text editor, and edited with "find and replace (all)". There must be a lot of other tricks that can be made? Any tutorial on that?

Thank you so much,

Jan

Jan Frojdman,

Im not aware of any tell-all bag of hints and tricks tutorial available. Even if there was ... it would most likely only interest a few users, because from what I see on this forum most users dont fully read the PTE User Guides to begin with. Users need to fully explore and experiment with all of the PTE program functions and features to really learn the software.

Most questions and troubleshooting posts and their replies are repetitive time and time again ... :D

THE OFFICIAL USER GUIDE IS AVAILABLE HERE

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/help.htm

as a pdf file - once you master it you will be able to follow the forum a whole lot easier

one secret I have advocated for years is to practice "RAT's"

READ ALL THREADS - and read all the entries not just the ones that interest you

pte has moved far beyond my capabilities but i still read them all in order to keep abreast of things :)

ken

A very different method could be to place the pictures for each slide in separate folders numbered 01 to 30 then the same template could be used over and over. This would mean of course that image file names would have to be changed instead. I have tried this and an executable file is created and runs correctly despite the images having repetative names.

Just a thought.

Alan

Alan, I did find this method too, but didn't want to propose it here, because nobeefstu told the right way to go.

But because you mentioned it, I will tell what I found out...

I made separate folders as you did, and did put the identical template in each folder, together with the different series of pictures, but all renamed the same way (01 to 30) (renaming can be automated e.g. with Canons DPP software). Then I renamed the original folder so that PTE wouldn't find the original serie of pictures. Then I opened the templates in each folder step by step and used copy/place to place the different series of pictures in a new slideshow. This worked as you sade, also to make the executable file or making a mp4 file.

The explanation for this must be (I think), that despite the slideshow did hold multiple pictures with the same name, it worked bacause the absolute path to the pictures were different.

The only thing that didn't work, was to make a backup of the slideshow. Now it tried to save the pictures with the same name into the same folder, and this dosen't work of course. So to make a backup, it would have needed to make e.g. a zip-backup of the whole folder system.

So, for those who are unfamiliar with text editors (if there are any?), can use this method...

But the method that nobeefstu mentioned is by far the best one.

Jan