WnSoft Forums

AVCHD

GLS48

I recently purchased the Canon Vixia HF S21 camcorder for wedding work and am very hopeful Igor and the team will work AVCHD 1080i and m2ts into PTE. In the mean time, can anyone explain the best conversion process to allow that format to work with Beta 7 as it now exist.

Thanks,

George

Hi George,

Right now, mpeg-2 works really well with the beta. You can get a decent, inexpensive converter to convert your AVCHD or m2ts to multiple formats including mpeg-2 for about $35 here:

http://www.alivemedia.net/hd-video-converter.htm

Best regards,

Lin

I recently purchased the Canon Vixia HF S21 camcorder for wedding work and am very hopeful Igor and the team will work AVCHD 1080i and m2ts into PTE. In the mean time, can anyone explain the best conversion process to allow that format to work with Beta 7 as it now exist.

Thanks,

George

iWisoft is a free video converter capable of excellent results for most formats.

I've recently tried this one. I wanted to convert an H264-MP4 file (that had been produced by PTE Videobuilder) to MPEG2 in order to reduce the CPU demand of the video when included in a PTE v7 beta sequence. The result of the conversion was atrocious!

Peter

I've recently tried this one. I wanted to convert an H264-MP4 file (that had been produced by PTE Videobuilder) to MPEG2 in order to reduce the CPU demand of the video when included in a PTE v7 beta sequence. The result of the conversion was atrocious!

Peter

............hence my question here:

DG

At the risk of repeating myself - I've recommended this FREE converter before for all formats - video, images and sound. Format Factory converts almost every format and is totally customable, oh and did I mention, it's free!

Take a look here : Format-Factory

Take care to refuse the toolbars it tries to install!

DaveG/Denwell,

I've just download, installed and tried XMedia Recode (the one mentioned by Xaver a few posts down in the topic that DaveG's link in post #7 above takes us to). I gave it the H264-MP4 file that I have been using to test v7 beta releases. It converted that to MPEG-2 without any problems (2m 25s of input video converted in 7m 20s). I let it use all its default values except: I changed the output audio codec from MP2 to MP3 and within that changed the bitrate from 128 to 192. This gave the same audio settings as the original EXE file of this test sequence, so I knew what sound quality I was expecting.

The resulting output video file plays beautifully smoothly in Windows Media Player. When imported into my test sequence for PTE v7 (three copies of it, each being 2D and 3D animated) it also plays smoothly. So smooth was it that I was tempted to add a fourth copy. That version also plays smoothly.

So, no disrespect to Denwell but I've found something that works for me and "if it ain't broke, why fix it?". And thanks to Xaver for bringing XMedia Recode to my attention. Just one word of warning: the website for XMedia is in the German language. My schoolboy German (now a 45 year memory) was just good enough to enable me to find the bits of the site that I wanted and to understand the essence of what I was being told there. The Help also seems to be only in German - but there may be an option to change languages that I haven't found yet (I admit, I haven't seriously looked for this).

regards,

Peter

Peter

Hmm.

Given some unresolved compatibility issues embedding video content into PTE, I suggest you now convert your HD.mp4 video to AVI by selecting the HD DivX Video setting instead. Then follow the usual method of adding the converted movie file to your slideshow.

Keep in mind that Windows7 is by no means free from bugs either - another complication for Igor and his team to deal with. It is far too early to abandon any accepted and credible software; especially only after one failed attempt. That is the underlying principle behind having a forum and bug reports in the first place.

I have also taken the initiative of reporting your experience to iWisoft although your description of the conversion as 'atrocious' is grossly short of any meaningful detail.

In case you missed it, I did write in my post '……. capable of excellent results for most formats'.

John.

John,

Given some unresolved compatibility issues embedding video content into PTE, I suggest you now convert your HD.mp4 video to AVI by selecting the HD DivX Video setting instead. Then follow the usual method of adding the converted movie file to your slideshow.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post, and for raising this matter with iWisoft; but from my point of view this is now academic. I have found a product that does what I want and that did it very well at the first attempt, as you will see at post #9 above.

Keep in mind that Windows7 is by no means free from bugs either - another complication for Igor and his team to deal with.

This is an irrelevance as I don't use Windows 7 - I'm using Vista.

It is far too early to abandon any accepted and credible software; especially only after one failed attempt. That is the underlying principle behind having a forum and bug reports in the first place.

If by this you are referring to PTE, there's no chance I'll abandon it. If you were referring to the iWisoft product, it's already abandoned. It failed at the first time of asking to do what I wanted it to do.

I have also taken the initiative of reporting your experience to iWisoft although your description of the conversion as 'atrocious' is grossly short of any meaningful detail.

I didn't give any great detail here because this is a PTE forum and not an iWisoft forum. I wasn't seeking a solution to my problem with the iWisoft software. I was simply giving a "heads up" alert to the forum members based on my experience with this product. However, to give some more detail now; by atrocious I meant that, during playback the appearance was as if random parts of every video frame had been pixellated. And this happened during playback of the video file in more than one media player, PTE was not involved at this stage. In fact, the visual quality was so bad that I wasn't prepared to take the file anywhere near PTE.

regards,

Peter